User Tag List

2Likes

post #1 of 26 Old 06-09-2015, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Android Auto Upgrade?

I know that some people are saying that android auto will be a Honda feature in 2016, does anyone know if I'd be able to upgrade my 2016 HRV (I'm sure for a cost) to android auto when it comes out? This is something I'd be very interested in, I asked my sales person and as I expected he did not really have an answer.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 06-09-2015, 05:32 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Based on Honda's Twitter account, they won't be doing the upgrades for any already-released cars. There's a lot of (angry, rightfully so) tweets about the lack of CarPlay, and I'd think Android Auto is in the same boat.
post #3 of 26 Old 06-10-2015, 01:01 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Galvanization, have they even mentioned Android Auto in the tweets? I don't follow twitter, and I think I'd only heard about Carplay.

I'm guessing one reason these aren't in cars already is the three-way tug of war between the car maker, Apple and Google. Car makers don't want to tick off half the cell phone users, but I'm sure Apple and Google each want exclusive, or at least preferred status in that maker's cars, ads, etc. And car makers don't want to lose control of their infotainment UI... bad as they mostly are.

It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out... not holding my breath.

post #4 of 26 Old 06-10-2015, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
They have mentioned Android Auto in a few tweets, and it's the same verbiage as the CarPlay stuff. No doubt the Twitter account is just posting what they've been told by management.

I'd be more optimistic if they were simply saying that the compatibility with CarPlay or Android Auto hasn't been determined. But the fact that they are explicitly saying it won't be on existing models is what's disheartening.
idearat likes this.
post #5 of 26 Old 06-10-2015, 01:46 PM

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
If I had to guess, I would say the 2016 HR-V's will never be upgradeable to CarPlay and Android Auto as the processors are sucky as it is (or in more proper terms, slow and not powerful enough), and there may not even be enough available memory storage for the program.
post #6 of 26 Old 06-10-2015, 02:38 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I never really thought of a dealer/manufacturer upgrade for Android Auto on current HR-Vs, but I was wondering if any of the available after-market Android Auto head units would fit or even be compatible in the HR-V..
post #7 of 26 Old 06-10-2015, 03:06 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Well, hopefully they're engineering these units to be easily upgraded, hardware as well as software. They're turning them into tablets and smartphones, and the rate of change in those arenas far exceeds the rate of change in cars (actual or necessary). I plan to keep my next car for at least a decade... how lame is the tech going to look ten years from now? Not just an old radio anymore; it'll be pretty much useless in the connected world of 2025.

Or maybe their strategy is to get everyone to lease and trade every 3 years. But what does that do to depreciation and the used car market? Imagine selling a used car today with a cassette player... and that really is just an old radio!

There has to be an upgrade path, but it's not simple, since so many of the car's functions are also tied up with the screen.
ackus likes this.
post #8 of 26 Old 07-06-2015, 05:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have been waiting for the same announcement. I am a little more optimistic than most. I sent several tweets to their customer service twitter account and this is the response that I received:
@schnapster Hi, we'll have an announcement for select '16 models soon, but it will not be backwards compatible on previous models. ^ND

Personally I want either the Fit or the HRV but Honda does not get my money until they give us Android Auto. There are plenty of their competitors offering and my money goes with whoever supplies the best technology.

Just keep contacting them (like I am). The more people that contact them about it, the more pressure they will feel to announce it.
post #9 of 26 Old 07-06-2015, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
My salesman told me that it was just going to "magically" suddenly start working with my Android phone. But this was the same salesman who, two months ago, said that I would have my car in two days to two weeks. I am still waiting.
post #10 of 26 Old 07-06-2015, 11:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnapster View Post
I have been waiting for the same announcement. I am a little more optimistic than most. I sent several tweets to their customer service twitter account and this is the response that I received:
@schnapster Hi, we'll have an announcement for select '16 models soon, but it will not be backwards compatible on previous models. ^ND

Personally I want either the Fit or the HRV but Honda does not get my money until they give us Android Auto. There are plenty of their competitors offering and my money goes with whoever supplies the best technology.

Just keep contacting them (like I am). The more people that contact them about it, the more pressure they will feel to announce it.
Then..buy one of those. Simple. That will be $25 for the free advice.
But you won't...because a Car is FAR more than a phone. If you REALLY feel this way and want the car...buy an iPhone.
There, I saved you $$ and got you something better than Android Auto.

That will be another $25 please...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda HR-V Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page