24Likes

post #1 of 62 Old 06-11-2015, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Disabled my DRLs yesterday - so happy!

Just as an FYI you can disable your DRLs and there are no ill effects. I pulled the fuse and tested it to see if there were any problems or warning lights or anything and there were not, everything works as it should just no DRLs which I personally dislike so I got rid of them. Then I reused the fuse position for my add a circuit and hard wired my wife's radar detector. Now no wires show at all and the dumb dim yellow DRLs are gone. I am pleased with my evenings work.

Disable them on every vehicle I can, like them on motorcycles not on cars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 Old 06-11-2015, 07:02 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razer View Post
Just as an FYI you can disable your DRLs and there are no ill effects. I pulled the fuse and tested it to see if there were any problems or warning lights or anything and there were not, everything works as it should just no DRLs which I personally dislike so I got rid of them. Then I reused the fuse position for my add a circuit and hard wired my wife's radar detector. Now no wires show at all and the dumb dim yellow DRLs are gone. I am pleased with my evenings work.

Your post made me smile. I remember way back when the Toyota Matrix came out. It seemed like everyone on the forum was trying to figure out how to disabled them because they hated them too.
post #3 of 62 Old 06-11-2015, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicepeak View Post
Your post made me smile. I remember way back when the Toyota Matrix came out. It seemed like everyone on the forum was trying to figure out how to disabled them because they hated them too.
Good to know I'm not just crazy for hating them lol. I was looking at the Toyota Matrix last night actually, looking for my daughter that will soon be needing a inexpensive reliable first car. Dad is suddenly much more concerned about different things when buying for his daughter than for himself..... Safety, reliability, are now first and not raw speed. Strange huh?

post #4 of 62 Old 06-11-2015, 07:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Glad you posted, was thinking this morning in my way into work about doing the exact same thing. I'm in the military where we are supposed to dim our headlights when pulling up to the gate. And guess what pops on when the headlights are dimmed? Those fricken DRL's!, which are the high beams with reduced wattage to the bulb!
post #5 of 62 Old 06-11-2015, 07:58 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Garage
I just want to figure out how to keep the fog lights on when I use the Hi-beams, why would they set the fog lights up to turn off

God Bless Our Troops
post #6 of 62 Old 06-11-2015, 07:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razer View Post

Interesting, in Canada and Europe they are the law. Disabling them will cost us big bucks if caught. They are proven to save lives.

I have a pet peeve with people who drive around with their fog lights on no matter what the weather or time of day. Basically they are posing. In Europe it is an offense to use your fog lights unless the weather dictates it's appropriate.

Different on a bike. Be seen and be heard. First thing I did on my Harley was knock out the exhaust baffles
Vanguard likes this.
post #7 of 62 Old 06-11-2015, 08:11 PM

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dphill View Post
I just want to figure out how to keep the fog lights on when I use the Hi-beams, why would they set the fog lights up to turn off
Two different lighting effects that have different lighting results in various weather conditions. Example, usually hi-beams in a snow storm or heavy fog do more harm than good.
matthew likes this.
post #8 of 62 Old 06-11-2015, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

(Thread Starter)
I think DRLs are a horrible invention. I see people almost daily driving after dark with no light on, the DRL is on so they have no clue thay they never turned on the lights. No taillights or marker lights while driving on the freeway. Morons. Can they save lives, maybe. People that do no turn on headlights in the rain and fog I guess, but broad daylight no difference at least as tested in the US.

Now, I think all cars should have auto headlights and you should not be able to disable the feature. That would solve the no light drivers and people that wait until dead dark to ever fire up the headlights, no light fog drivers and all would be solved. Love that feature and it should be mandated. I also think that the new HR-V feature where after the wipers are on for 30 seconds or whatever it is that the lights then come on. That should also be a standard safety feature, around here more than half the average cars in a massive rain storm will not have the headlights on. Both features are amazing and should be standard for sure. Those two features should have been standard way before back up cameras, they are required here now and while there were 6-8 people a year killed in backup accidents I'd wager there were more hurt by no lights on in bad conditions easily but that would be hard to investigate I imagine.

DRLs though, they suck and I hate them. There is no point to them and I will remove them whenever possible!
post #9 of 62 Old 06-11-2015, 08:52 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnColin View Post
Two different lighting effects that have different lighting results in various weather conditions. Example, usually hi-beams in a snow storm or heavy fog do more harm than good.
I run with my fog/driving light on all the time in my Ridgeline. The driving light project nice and wide. When my high beams are on I lose that side light. I live in deer country and lose the advantage with my high beams on if that makes any sense...

God Bless Our Troops
post #10 of 62 Old 06-11-2015, 10:05 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
My first car had DRL and I haven't had them in over 10 years. Since then I always drove with lights on then again when you drive a silver Fit you need all the lights you could get to avoid being hit by Ameri-Trucks that forget to look down when they change lanes.

2016 EX-L Navi AWD Deep Ocean Blue

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda HR-V Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page