39Likes

post #1 of 51 Old 11-09-2015, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Cross-country/car camping/etc.

I've owned my beautiful HR-V EX for a month now and I love it. I'm an ultra-runner and long, sometimes multi-day events are becoming common. Where I would use the car as a homebase. I've never been much of a camper but now that I have this car i've been thinking about the possibilities.

I've been thinking about taking a few weeks to a month off and travel the country (starting from my home in Central NJ). Possibly becoming an Uber drive and pick up fares here and there along the way. I've also looked into couchsurfing.com.

I know this has been discussed before but I'm thinking of spending nights sleeping in the HR-V. I'm 6' and have no trouble sleeping in tight quarters. couchsurfing.com a couple to a few nights a week.

I'd really like to keep it as light and minimal as possible.

I guess, the reason I'm posting is that I'm curious as to what I would need. A sleeping bag for sure. Some light camping gear I guess. What else would I need? I saw there are some car tents that are made for the CR-V. I see there are 12v coffee makers for the power supply in the car, but I guess a camping stove and kettle would be just as good. Do people really just park in WalMart lots?

It's just an idea now. Anyone familiar with this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 Old 11-09-2015, 04:57 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Light and minimal as possible, better not talk to my wife about camping in our HR-V!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 51 Old 11-09-2015, 05:17 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Garage
I have heard of people staying in their cars this way. It seems dangerous to me to just sleep in a Wal-Mart or mall parking lot, as well as a possible loitering / trespassing issue.
My problem when sleeping in a car, when I was much younger, was the lack of ventilation. If you leave a window down you invite bugs. When all of the windows are up it gets hot and humid very quickly.
I do a number of motorcycle rally's each year as well as traveling to locations for mountain biking. For me, it is tent camping in a campground. The cost is fairly low per night, you have a secure environment and access to real bathrooms and showers. Since you are traveling by car, you can carry enough equipment for comfortable camping.
Personally, some of the best traveling memories and stories I have are based on people that I have met at campgrounds. This is particularly true with tent camping. The RV campers tend to remain a bit more secluded. The tent campers end up in a social group that makes the evenings a good time.

post #4 of 51 Old 11-09-2015, 05:27 PM

Garage
Modern camping gear packs up really small. Here is a pic of my motorcycle loaded up for three days of riding in Arkansas over Labor Day and a shot of our camp site beside the White River in Flippin, AR. It is a little better scenery than a Wal-Mart parking lot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1079.JPG
Views:	351
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	13106   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1082.JPG
Views:	355
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	13114  
MASS-Honda likes this.

post #5 of 51 Old 11-09-2015, 05:28 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Walmart I think, let's rvs park- and there is video security, so I think you'd be fairly safe. But tent camping in campgrounds would be a lot more fun.
post #6 of 51 Old 11-09-2015, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Thanks gang, yes, I'm not opposed to tent camping. Safety (although obviously important) isn't as big of a concern for me but I'm also someone who would rather not loiter or break any laws so I'd try to be as discreet as possible if I DO end up sleeping in the car on a side street or in a parking lot.

But I am not opposed to tent camping, I'd really like to cut costs down. $25 a night for a campsite is a lot cheaper than a hotel room but if I did campsites every night it would cost a minimum of $700 for that month traveling. I'd much rather spend that money on fuel and/or tolls. But like I said, not opposed to camping. couchingsurfing.com or even airbnb MAY be cheaper. I'd really just need a place to sleep (and clean up).

I'm open to anything and looking for any feedback. I'd rather conceptualize it all now before I begin planning for the big trip.
post #7 of 51 Old 11-09-2015, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay3rd View Post
Modern camping gear packs up really small. Here is a pic of my motorcycle loaded up for three days of riding in Arkansas over Labor Day and a shot of our camp site beside the White River in Flippin, AR. It is a little better scenery than a Wal-Mart parking lot.
Definitely! How does one even find campsites or do you have to plan for it? My plan is to go for destination to destination and while there I find a place to sleep. Are campsites to setup a tent easy to find?
post #8 of 51 Old 11-09-2015, 06:09 PM

Garage
Campsites are fairly plentiful. I start with an internet search of the areas I am going and start reviewing and selecting from there. When on our motorcycle tours, we often just look for camping as we go. It is sometimes hard to predict how many miles we will ride each day so our destinations are a bit fluid. Worse case, we set up our tents in a clearing or field off a rural road. That is probably not our best decisions but we have never had any issues. There is camping in many state parks as well, and they are very inexpensive. The amenities vary by state though. Here in Missouri, they are very basic. Camp sites and out house type facilities, no showers. You get what you pay for. We have knocked on doors for permission to pitch tents on peoples property in small towns and rural areas. For the majority of the time, people are very friendly and welcoming. More opportunities to meet interesting people.

post #9 of 51 Old 11-09-2015, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay3rd View Post
Campsites are fairly plentiful. I start with an internet search of the areas I am going and start reviewing and selecting from there. When on our motorcycle tours, we often just look for camping as we go. It is sometimes hard to predict how many miles we will ride each day so our destinations are a bit fluid. Worse case, we set up our tents in a clearing or field off a rural road. That is probably not our best decisions but we have never had any issues. There is camping in many state parks as well, and they are very inexpensive. The amenities vary by state though. Here in Missouri, they are very basic. Camp sites and out house type facilities, no showers. You get what you pay for. We have knocked on doors for permission to pitch tents on peoples property in small towns and rural areas. For the majority of the time, people are very friendly and welcoming. More opportunities to meet interesting people.
That sounds like an awesome adventure! Thank you!
post #10 of 51 Old 11-09-2015, 07:35 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
If you're trying to keep costs down, obviously buying your own food and doing a little cooking will help.

I"ld get a 12 volt cooler to keep the groceries in, and maybe a 12 volt solar charger to help keep the battery up.
Depending on how far off the beaten trail you'll be getting, a water filter may help, so you can fill your jugs from a stream.
A paid campsite every 2-3 days is good to keep up showers and such.

As Arjay3rd suggests, research your route. There are often little gems that are well worth an hour or two drive off the path.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda HR-V Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page