User Tag List

31Likes

post #1 of 76 Old 11-22-2015, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
HRV in snow (Merged)

We are planning a trip up to Niagra after Christmas and was wondering how a 2WD HRV is in snow.. We live in the South so we only have front wheel drive for both our 2016 HRV and 2015 Pilot.

Do you think there would be much of a difference in driving them in snow?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 76 Old 11-22-2015, 05:28 PM

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
A good set of tires can overcome most 2WD deficits. To be frank, I would not drive my 2WD with reg all-seasons in the snow.

2016 HR-V EX in Modern Steel Metallic
post #3 of 76 Old 11-22-2015, 07:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpy790 View Post
We are planning a trip up to Niagra after Christmas and was wondering how a 2WD HRV is in snow.. We live in the South so we only have front wheel drive for both our 2016 HRV and 2015 Pilot.

Do you think there would be much of a difference in driving them in snow?
Rather than the hassle of snow tires, I'd invest in a set of snow chains ... in case you encounter a bit of "serious snow."

Last edited by mainemanx; 11-22-2015 at 07:53 PM.
post #4 of 76 Old 11-22-2015, 07:58 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainemanx View Post
Rather than the hassle of snow tires, I'd invest in a set of snow chains ... in case you encounter a bit of "serious snow."
I agree with Mainemanx; if you live in the South, you probably have very little need for snow tires, but if you're headed for Niagara after Christmas, chains might be a better solution. Possibly buy them as you get nearer to your destination, as I have no idea where anybody sells tire chains in Atlanta, and I suspect this is true through most of the region. You could probably do some advance shopping, and pre-arrange to pick up a set.

If your HR-V came equipped with Michelins, they are supposed to be pretty good in snow — for all weather tires — but chains would be good insurance to have. States like Pennsylvania and New York actually have the equipment to deal with snow, unlike most of the South, where it makes more sense to just stay at home until the stuff melts. With a steep hill a quarter mile from our house, we were effectively housebound for 4 days after the last big storm in Atlanta.

Last edited by Selden; 11-22-2015 at 08:02 PM.
post #5 of 76 Old 11-22-2015, 08:11 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Living in Northern Ontario, where the winter temps regularly can get to -30, summer tires just get too hard, and don't have enough grip. That's where winter tires shine.

So if it gets cold, just slow down a little, and know your braking distance won't be as good.
If there's a storm, maybe wait it out till the plows go by if you can.

That being said, I got 2WD, but have Michelin X-Ice winter tires.
Enjoy your trip

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 76 Old 11-22-2015, 08:28 PM

Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden View Post
--- SNIP ---

I have no idea where anybody sells tire chains in Atlanta, and I suspect this is true through most of the region.

--- SNIP ---
Amazon serves Atlanta, no?
post #7 of 76 Old 11-22-2015, 10:20 PM

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Chains? Nobody uses chains in southern Ontario. I am a firm believer in winter tires. I wouldn't face a winter without them. That being said I wouldn't make the investment for a short visit to Niagara. There's a very good chance you may not even see temperatures below 32 and only rain. Decembers can be mild. We have had many a green Christmas.

Both the HRV and definitely the Pilot will perform well, even in some snow with newer all-season tires. Drive carefully and enjoy your visit. If you are a wine drinker there lots of great Niagara wines for under US$12. Be sure to visit Niagara-On-The-Lake. About 10 minutes from the falls.

If you will have winter weather issues it most likely would be on the US side. Buffalo gets a lot more snow (lake effect). Cold north wind picks up moisture from Lake Ontario and snows on the south side.
suzieq likes this.

2016 HRV EXL w/nav. Milano Red July 2, 2015
2016 Civic Touring, White Orchid Pearl, Dec. 23, 2015

Last edited by CdnColin; 11-22-2015 at 10:23 PM.
post #8 of 76 Old 11-22-2015, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainemanx View Post
Amazon serves Atlanta, no?
I would never have thought of Amazon for snow chains, but you are absolutely right. I haven't given a thought to chains in about 30 years — I had no idea there is such a wide variety.
post #9 of 76 Old 11-22-2015, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnColin View Post
Chains? Nobody uses chains in southern Ontario. I am a firm believer in winter tires. I wouldn't face a winter without them. That being said I wouldn't make the investment for a short visit to Niagara. There's a very good chance you may not even see temperatures below 32 and only rain. Decembers can be mild. We have had many a green Christmas.
True, and as I said earlier, in the North you can assume that the roads will be plowed and salted, so even chains are overkill. If it starts snowing, just wait until the roads have been cleared — unlike Atlanta, it won't take a week.
post #10 of 76 Old 11-22-2015, 10:38 PM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
You don't need chains for a trip to Niagara. Unless you are going to be on back roads for many hours and the snow has been so intense that the roads have it packed hard on them. You really don't want to be driving on plowed roads and highways with chains.

You guys are nuts. Stop scaring the southerner.
mainemanx, lumpy790 and suzieq like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda HR-V Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page