4Likes

post #1 of 27 Old 02-02-2016, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
ken

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Android Auto and Car Play - 2017 model?

Now the 2016 model has been on the market for 9 months, and it has definitely stirred up the compact CUV segment.

Given that pretty much very car maker is adding smart phone connectivity to their 2017 models, do you think or have you heard about that Honda will expand it to HRV 2017 model?

P.S. 2016 Civic and Accord sales are up sharply - partly due to both Android Auto and Car Play are available in them.

Please share your thoughts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 02-02-2016, 03:57 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken View Post
Now the 2016 model has been on the market for 9 months, and it has definitely stirred up the compact CUV segment.

Given that pretty much very car maker is adding smart phone connectivity to their 2017 models, do you think or have you heard about that Honda will expand it to HRV 2017 model?

P.S. 2016 Civic and Accord sales are up sharply - partly due to both Android Auto and Car Play are available in them.

I think the Android Auto/CarPlay is more of a hype than anything, at least for me. When I did not have CarPlay, I thought that I can not live without it.

Now that I have the 2016 Civic with CarPlay and other than the handful of times that I used it when I first got the car, I do not use it (or at most, barely use it). I still find myself interfacing with my iPhone directly, which is in a holder above the dash between the Head Unit and the steering wheel. And I use the steering wheel control to activate Siri/Voice Control. I use Waze and Google Maps mostly for apps, along with making/receiving calls and texting (via Siri).

What is critical is the Bluetooth connect and the fact that the audio is directed via the Head Unit Audio. So the radio is automatically muted when I get an alert or receive a phone call. Even the fan is automatically lowered when Siri is active. All available features without CarPlay....
mainemanx likes this.

Last edited by cotonHRV; 02-02-2016 at 04:35 PM.
post #3 of 27 Old 02-03-2016, 12:38 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken View Post

My thoughts....please back up that statement.

post #4 of 27 Old 02-03-2016, 10:29 AM
JSO

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavenfish View Post
My thoughts....please back up that statement.
Part of the statement is easy to back up. Honda reports record sales of the Civic in January. The Accord, Honda reports, is holding its own. As to the reasons why, Honda probably thinks a little more broadly.

http://hondanews.com/releases/americ...january-record
post #5 of 27 Old 02-04-2016, 01:53 AM

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSO View Post
Part of the statement is easy to back up. Honda reports record sales of the Civic in January. The Accord, Honda reports, is holding its own. As to the reasons why, Honda probably thinks a little more broadly.

http://hondanews.com/releases/americ...january-record
Pretty sure the Civic sales are up because it's a REALLY REALLY GOOD CAR, and not because of Android Auto. Even without Android Auto it pretty much blows everything else away in the compact segment. Heck, size notwithstanding, it's arguably better than the Accord.
post #6 of 27 Old 02-04-2016, 06:11 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Just to add 2 more cents to the pile, i haven't bought the HR-V yet because it lacks carplay. I've held out to see if the 2017 is getting it..and if it doesn't, I will likely get a ford fusion instead.

I think it is naive to think that this feature doesn't affect sales.

Option A - purchase a $700-1500 navigation system in your car that needs yearly updates for maps ($75-150) and whose interface quickly becomes dated.

Option B - pay $0 for navigation and maps and get updated software and apps regularly.

I wouldn't go so far as to say a car without option B will not sell, but i think there are a fair amount of people who will hold out or shift models for this feature.
Green Sub likes this.
post #7 of 27 Old 02-04-2016, 07:25 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingoezz View Post
Just to add 2 more cents to the pile, i haven't bought the HR-V yet because it lacks carplay. I've held out to see if the 2017 is getting it..and if it doesn't, I will likely get a ford fusion instead.

I think it is naive to think that this feature doesn't affect sales.

Option A - purchase a $700-1500 navigation system in your car that needs yearly updates for maps ($75-150) and whose interface quickly becomes dated.

Option B - pay $0 for navigation and maps and get updated software and apps regularly.

I wouldn't go so far as to say a car without option B will not sell, but i think there are a fair amount of people who will hold out or shift models for this feature.
Your points are exactly why I'm holding out on the HRV until it has Android Auto. Since a lot of people keep their vehicle longer than their cell phone, having Android Auto or Carplay allows your infotainment center to always be updated. Obviously it doesn't appeal to everyone but Apple and Google wouldn't have wasted their resources if it wasn't something many people were wanting.
Green Sub likes this.

Last edited by slimstrike; 02-04-2016 at 07:30 PM.
post #8 of 27 Old 02-04-2016, 08:34 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
I agree that I'd like the car to have Android Auto and CarPlay, but many, many owners have tried this feature and then never used it again. Most do not understand what it does and how limiting it is and once they figure that out they never (or rarely) use it again. It is okay as it is today, but I would rarely use it. I want Waze for navigation, I will not use anything else and it is not compatible with either one. If I want to use waze then I cannot hook up my phone. The only time I might like the features is when I am traveling, then I'd also want waze. Fail.

I work in IT, I'm a giant geek, but I will virtually never use the features as there are not enough of them. Just pair bluetooth and play music and move on. Also, ALL the early vehicles with Android Auto and CarPlay are horribly buggy. Not just Honda - Pioneer and others have just as many issues. Just a word of warning, the grass is not always greener lol, many people are loving everything about the Civic but are hating the car because of Android and Apple right now. No end in sight to the issues either.
Ex-cape likes this.
post #9 of 27 Old 02-04-2016, 09:10 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingoezz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimstrike View Post
Your points are exactly why I'm holding out on the HRV until it has Android Auto.
My opinion, but it is a relevant opinion because I have an HRV and another Honda with CarPLay. Buying a car if it does or does not have CarPlay, it is comparable to buying a car if it comes or not in a specific color.

I thought I had to have CarPLay. Was very disappointed after buying the HRV that it did not have CarPlay. Got the Civic, played with CarPLay few times, then hardly use it. I would much rather have the option to display my iPhone screen on the HU WHILE the car is moving. I think it is a case of the "Grass is greener on the other side"....
post #10 of 27 Old 02-04-2016, 09:29 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I think some of these views are very short-sighted. Carplay is version 1.0. Just like buying a first year model of a car, there are bound to be oversights or bugs.

I am considering 6 years of ownership, not the first day of owning the car. And while, it may take 6 months for another version of carplay to come out that improves on the original, I'm fairly certain that it'll trend towards being better through each year of ownership, whereas your stock nav system/interface will look more and more dated with each passing year.

You may want to pay more to get a depreciating end-product, but i prefer to pay less for a constantly updated one.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda HR-V Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page