User Tag List

2Likes

post #1 of 30 Old 04-09-2015, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Do Honda Dealers Deal?

This is for those of you who have bought a Honda in the last decade. It's been 20+ years since I bought my last Honda. My memory was that Honda dealers just don't deal. In fact, I remember paying $1,000 over for my CRX in California in the 1980's.

So my question is - what's your personal experience? Has anyone here negotiated a reduced price in the last few years?

I ask so that I can make more meaningful price comparisons. The Sunday ads tell you that at volume dealers for Nissan, Jeep, Kia, and several other brands - you can expect $3,000 to $5,000 of that list price. So you don't compare list prices - you compare discounted prices. But I don't know what to expect at the Honda dealer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 04-09-2015, 08:28 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
On most Hondas, yes.
On the HRV, no.

Easiest way is going through a buyers club program where the price is already fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterct View Post
This is for those of you who have bought a Honda in the last decade. It's been 20+ years since I bought my last Honda. My memory was that Honda dealers just don't deal. In fact, I remember paying $1,000 over for my CRX in California in the 1980's.

So my question is - what's your personal experience? Has anyone here negotiated a reduced price in the last few years?

I ask so that I can make more meaningful price comparisons. The Sunday ads tell you that at volume dealers for Nissan, Jeep, Kia, and several other brands - you can expect $3,000 to $5,000 of that list price. So you don't compare list prices - you compare discounted prices. But I don't know what to expect at the Honda dealer.
post #3 of 30 Old 04-09-2015, 09:51 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
You know the 80's were like 30 years ago now!

My last experience was full price on a car i reserved, and when I asked about a discount he said he had 10 people lined up behind me that were all willing to pay full price.
That was end of discussion!

post #4 of 30 Old 04-09-2015, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
>> You know the 80's were like 30 years ago now!

Well, I bought my first car 40+ years ago, a Mustang. I've seen every sales game you can play at a dealership, and I've bought almost every major brand once.

At my age you smile when you walk up to a salesman, because there's not a sales device in his book you haven't encountered a dozen times over. And he knows it.

Or better yet, I get a young salesman who thinks he's gonna swindle Grampa, and then I pull his chain for an hour, relishing every second of it (cheap entertainment). The younger ones are really fun, because they think I don't know what the Internet is (I'm a practicing Fortune 50 software engineer).
post #5 of 30 Old 04-09-2015, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I thought I'd take HRV4ME's advice to look at a buyer's club - we have an employee purchase program. Of course they don't have the HRV yet, so I checked a CRV. They do offer a surprisingly significant discount. Nice to know. We'll see how long it takes the HRV to appear there - certainly not the first day on the lot.
post #6 of 30 Old 04-09-2015, 10:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Garage
Yeah, I'm a young Honda salesman. Haven't been doing this for very long. I just want to help the people that come onto my lot. And honestly it saddens me how poorly the majority of my customers treat me, after I spend hours bending over backwards for them. I really try to do everything I can for them, and in the end, they couldn't give one sheet about me. It only matters how low of a price they can get for themselves. And they'll keep going back and forth from dealer to dealer to see who will drop their pants the lowest. This is a job to me just like your job is to you. We all have bills to pay. You want to grind us down to nothing on price and care only about yourself? Fine, I'll still sell you the car and take what we call a "mini" ($150 minimum commission) and if I have a decent month, I'll sell 10-12 cars. So cool, maybe I can make $1500-2000 for that whole month. Which may not seem very low to some, but when we work 6 days a week 10 hours a day, I'd be working for about $7/hr. No thanks I could make more working at McDonald's. So there you go, wanna know why a lot of people think most car salesmen are trying to take advantage of you? Because there still are some that do. They're good at it and they are the ones that make good money so they stay in the business. All the sales people that are actually genuine, friendly, and want to help you, get taken advantage of and can't make any money in the business. So that negative mindset of car salesmen is there because the customers create it without knowing it. Who knows maybe one day we can work out deals where we help each other out and everyone leaves happy. I can dream can't I?

Ok rant is over sorry it was so long. I had a long day at the dealership today.
hairydogg902 likes this.
post #7 of 30 Old 04-09-2015, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Rant well received!

I was referring to the guys who see me or somebody else come in and immediately think "fresh meat". And there are LOTS of them out there. They probably started out as nice guys, and the system slowly wore them down. Some dealerships just have an evil sales mantra. Some don't. Wish we'd eliminate car sales commissions completely and go the Tesla route - less stress for everyone.

Over the years, I've known lots of car sales guys who were really, really great guys, treated me fairly, and we became friends and they sold me multiple cars.

In fact, come June I'll be seeing a Mazda salesman who sold me two Miatas, and is about to sell me my third. He sold me my first Miata when I was 40 and he was 20. I walk in, he knows me, he shows me the car, we laugh a bit, he offers me a very significant discount without me even asking, and I'm headed home 30 minutes later. Now that's how to buy and sell a car.

Or, I could walk in the door, hand my keys over for an appraisal, go for a test drive, and then have to do a shouting match just to get my keys back 45 minutes later (true story). There are more than a few evil dealerships out there. The underpaid sales guys might hate working there, and I feel for them, but if they treat me like a sap, I'm going to return the favor.
post #8 of 30 Old 04-10-2015, 07:17 AM
mwd

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffclarkknapphonda View Post
Yeah, I'm a young Honda salesman. Haven't been doing this for very long. I just want to help the people that come onto my lot. And honestly it saddens me how poorly the majority of my customers treat me, after I spend hours bending over backwards for them. I really try to do everything I can for them, and in the end, they couldn't give one sheet about me. It only matters how low of a price they can get for themselves. And they'll keep going back and forth from dealer to dealer to see who will drop their pants the lowest. This is a job to me just like your job is to you. We all have bills to pay. You want to grind us down to nothing on price and care only about yourself? Fine, I'll still sell you the car and take what we call a "mini" ($150 minimum commission) and if I have a decent month, I'll sell 10-12 cars. So cool, maybe I can make $1500-2000 for that whole month. Which may not seem very low to some, but when we work 6 days a week 10 hours a day, I'd be working for about $7/hr. No thanks I could make more working at McDonald's. So there you go, wanna know why a lot of people think most car salesmen are trying to take advantage of you? Because there still are some that do. They're good at it and they are the ones that make good money so they stay in the business. All the sales people that are actually genuine, friendly, and want to help you, get taken advantage of and can't make any money in the business. So that negative mindset of car salesmen is there because the customers create it without knowing it. Who knows maybe one day we can work out deals where we help each other out and everyone leaves happy. I can dream can't I?

I will be the selfish one then I guess. I've always been the one to go after the best price whether it is clothing, hiking/camping gear, event tickets, plane tickets, etc or cars. I'm not going to pay $2k more at one dealership, for the same exact car. I'm certainly not working and earning money to pay your salary either.
post #9 of 30 Old 04-10-2015, 08:19 AM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffclarkknapphonda View Post

Lol! You're in the wrong profession dude. Nobody is going to feel sorry for a whining salesman and pay over price so he'll earn more. Stop blaming the consumer. This isn't a charity.
post #10 of 30 Old 04-10-2015, 08:31 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Don't Negotiate Unless you Like to, Do This...

All,

The dealer/ salesperson wants you in the dealership to work you over. Have the guts to walk out if they give you any crap. So that you're on a level playing field, you should get this. I have and it's been very helpful. I was looking at a Volvo once and when I calculated in holdback, advertising incentive, etc.(All things the dealer with SWEAR don't exist) the dealer was still going to make 4K on the car if he sold it to me at cost:

http://www.checkbook.org/auto/cardeal.cfm

I've also used this and done well with it. Well worth the money. They will price the car:

http://www.checkbook.org/auto/carbarg.cfm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda HR-V Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page