User Tag List

257Likes

post #1 of 600 Old 04-26-2015, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Keeping options open

I have been keeping my eye on Scion as an alternative. I am liking a lot of things about the new IM. I like that it has the features of the EX HR-V at the price of an LX.
It is not a CUV, but if the seating is high, it might work for me. It is more like a station wagon only having 42 cu ft with the seats down as opposed to the HR-Vs 58 cu ft. That, and the lower rear opening height are drawbacks. Haven't determined how the front passenger seat will recline yet.

I am kind of discouraged that Murtha is trying to quash speculation that the 3rd new model will be a CUV. I think it would be a big mistake if it wasn't. Would be perfect for Scion to offer the smaller Toyota CUV. He said we won't have long to see what it will be.

http://wardsauto.com/auto-makers/new...ic-fine-tuning

The other car that has caught my eye is the Hyundai Tucson. I will wait and see what that is like when it goes on display.

Waiting has it's advantages giving us time to see how the HR-V performs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 600 Old 04-26-2015, 11:37 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Good for you keeping an open mind. There are lots of new models coming out all the time , all with their own strong points.

I've been on the site talking up the CX-3, but if I am honest there are any number of small hatchbacks with similar or greater capabilities ( if you don't need awd and I don't) on the market or soon to be released. Best not to become emotionally attached and loose your logic when there so many to choose from.
post #3 of 600 Old 04-26-2015, 11:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicepeak View Post
I have been keeping my eye on Scion as an alternative. I am liking a lot of things about the new IM. I like that it has the features of the EX HR-V at the price of an LX.
It is not a CUV, but if the seating is high, it might work for me. It is more like a station wagon only having 42 cu ft with the seats down as opposed to the HR-Vs 58 cu ft. That, and the lower rear opening height are drawbacks. Haven't determined how the front passenger seat will recline yet.

I am kind of discouraged that Murtha is trying to quash speculation that the 3rd new model will be a CUV. I think it would be a big mistake if it wasn't. Would be perfect for Scion to offer the smaller Toyota CUV. He said we won't have long to see what it will be.

http://wardsauto.com/auto-makers/new...ic-fine-tuning

The other car that has caught my eye is the Hyundai Tucson. I will wait and see what that is like when it goes on display.

Waiting has it's advantages giving us time to see how the HR-V performs.
I would stay away from Hyndai/Kia products. My wife had a 2005 Kia Sportage.Great ride! poor reliability and TERRIBLE dealerships/customer service.YOU have to go by the book for service.U HAVE to get things serviced at certain MILEAGE intervals so they will honor THEIR warrenty,even if the vehicle is running fine at the time.

post #4 of 600 Old 04-26-2015, 12:29 PM

>> I would stay away from Hyndai/Kia products.

Anecdotal evidence isn't really a good thing to base your decision on. That includes Legacy's warning about Kia, and it also includes the praise I'm about to heap on Kia. These are both the experiences of a single buyer of a single car of a single dealership.

I've had a 2010 Kia Soul+ for 90,000 miles and 5+ years. Love it to death. Rock solid reliability. Great dealership experience. Incredible value for the money, and the new Soul is dramatically better than mine. I've had the same storage space as the HRV in a car that has the same dimensions (edit: the Soul has the same storage area in a car 6" shorter) and performance almost to the inch and pound, and I've enjoyed it for 5 years and counting. I guess Kia should sue Honda for such a blatant copy?

So there you have it. One person hates Kia, another loves it. You can repeat with any auto manufacturer, and it's meaningless until you collect large numbers of experiences.

http://www.cars.com/go/advice/Story....referer=&year=

Now having slammed anecdotal evidence, how about we look at some real numbers? Go to the link above. You'll see Honda does in fact hammer down Kia in initial quality. These are 2012 numbers. You'll see Honda has 83 problems per 100 vehicles delivered, Kia has 107. So Honda definitely does better in initial quality at delivery time. In fact, even with the quality problems of the recent years, Honda is still one of the better rated manufacturers.

Be careful interpreting those quality results. They aren't necessarily fenders falling off. The majority of initial quality complaints these days are for infotainment systems. In fact, I have a friend who's about to return his incredibly awesome Mazda 3 Grand Touring hatchback because he doesn't like that it doesn't remember what song it was playing when he left the car (not making that up).

PS: In a very real sense, I'm the first person on this forum to own a Honda HRV. It just happens to be called the Kia Soul+, and it came out of its mother's womb a bit homely.

PS: I don't work for Kia.

PS: I'm still gonna test drive the HRV, and it's still 1 or 2 on my list. So I'm not a Honda or HRV hater.
idearat likes this.

Last edited by scooterct; 04-26-2015 at 12:59 PM.
post #5 of 600 Old 04-26-2015, 01:41 PM

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
I think Scion should market an "outdoor-oriented" SUV based off the RAV4, and styled like a scaled-down FJ-Cruiser. It doesn't need all of the FJ's capability, just some rugged styling and good utility (think Element). It would be an excellent competitor to the (non-Trailhawk) Renegade.
Oh, and it must be available with a manual. And tow.
Dermochelys and Bicepeak like this.
post #6 of 600 Old 04-26-2015, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-cape View Post
I think Scion should market an "outdoor-oriented" SUV based off the RAV4, and styled like a scaled-down FJ-Cruiser. It doesn't need all of the FJ's capability, just some rugged styling and good utility (think Element). It would be an excellent competitor to the (non-Trailhawk) Renegade.
Oh, and it must be available with a manual. And tow.
Sounds good.......especially if it has good cargo space, I will go for it.
Maybe that is why Murtha is so mum about it. Maybe he doesn't think the term CUV will describe adequately what they are planning.
post #7 of 600 Old 04-26-2015, 02:47 PM

In the mid-90s, we had the original AWD RAV4 2-door with manual and loved it. It was compact, decent little bit of storage, perfect car for two people.

Well, we loved it until it started dangerously lurching on cold days. Two transmissions and a clutch later, the Toyota dealer threw up their hands and gave up (we'd been charged $2,000 in parts and labor by that point). In the end, we discovered it was a bad oxygen sensor.

American auto mechanics can't diagnose their way out of a paper bag. I so miss Germany, where the guy charging you 60 DM an hour was actually worth it...
post #8 of 600 Old 04-26-2015, 03:53 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Thumbs up Me Too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicepeak View Post
I'm in the exact same boat as you! The new Tucson is supposed to go on sale in July. Some personally exciting news for me with the Tucson is that it has a new color called SEDONA SUNSET. I'm hoping that will be a shade of ORANGE.

I'm looking forward to finally getting to see and drive the new HR-V. Hopefully it will be within two days as that's the date I was given as to when they are supposed to be arriving.

If for any reason there is a doubt or hesitation that the HR-V is the vehicle for me, I'll hit the pause button on purchasing one and wait long enough for the Tucson to come out.

The Tucson is looking to be a viable alternative. It's even got the power driver seat w/ power lumber available in the base model as an option package(the 2015 model is around $700 for the package). Pricing will hopefully stay close to the 2015 model as they want to be competitive and give the top sellers like the Escape, RAV4 and CR-V a run for their money.

"Good things come to those who wait."
Come on Honda, I'm tired of waiting.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 600 Old 04-26-2015, 04:22 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
I'm in a slightly different boat from the rest. We're a pretty minimalistic, childless couple in a city condo, walk most places, and have always had one small car (not including my 50cc scooter, which I ride to work... a pleasant 15-minute commute). We've had a lot of hondas, currently a little Acura, and I've missed the old practical hatches for years. I've thought about the Fit, but can't learn to love the looks. Never considered anything that could even remotely be considered an SUV. Love my manual transmission.

Enter the HRV. As long as I remember it's still a small car, and consider it a tall-ish hatch, I'm thinking it could be the one... always, of course pending seeing it in person and the test drive.

I have some purely emotional biases against some brands, and concerns about others. I've always loved the conservative, practical, euro vibe from VW, specifically Golf and even Tiguan (though I'd rather it was a bit smaller, and doesn't come with a manual tranny), but concerned about reliability. The Soul has always intrigued me, love the size and practicality, and Scooter has me thinking it's worth a close look... not sure my hesitation about Hyundai / Kia is still valid. Not interested in spending a bunch more for the likes of X1 / Q3 / GLA / CDX etc.

So for me, the only plausible competitors are the Golf, Mazda 3 and maybe CX3, though I don't love Kodo, possibly Soul or Elantra, just maybe Tucson if it's not too big... have to see one. I'm really hoping the HRV works out... or I might just hang on another year.

Last edited by idearat; 04-26-2015 at 10:05 PM.
post #10 of 600 Old 04-26-2015, 09:36 PM
mwd

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Along with the hrv I'm looking at the rogue and cx-5. I like the look of the up and coming tuscan, but like others I can't get into buying a Hyundai/kia.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda HR-V Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page