HR-V & we tall folks don't mix, unfortunately... - Honda HR-V Forum
User Tag List

post #1 of 22 Old 05-15-2015, 10:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
HR-V & we tall folks don't mix, unfortunately...

Unfortunately, my HR-V Obsession Bubble was burst today when I sat inside of a few of them here in Denver. I'm 6'4", and the front seats just don't cut it. They don't go back quite as far as they could, and the bottom part of the seat (which is not very deep) doesn't rise up to support your thighs. Meanwhile, the suburban middle-aged women were SWARMING around these HR-Vs! Anyway, I'm bummed and now I need your advice. I went down auto row and popped into Chevy and as I already knew, the Trax is EXTREMELY comfortable, just like it's sister, the Buick Encore. These cars were German designed and built in Korea, but I have trouble wrapping my head around driving a Chevy, let alone a Buick even though I think the reliability will be fairly decent. The depreciation is another story, I imagine. The Renegade was comfortable, but that style is just not for me. I felt like I was driving a tank! And Consumer Reports has nothing good to say about Fiat Chrysler in terms of reliability (despite the fact that Jeeps sell like crazy around here). I predict the Fiat 500X will be much more comfortable than the HRV, but again, it's an FCA product. Do you think the CX-3 will have better legroom? I don't care about the back seat at all since it will rarely, if ever be used. I may go back and look at the CX-5 as well. I drove it once 6 months ago and it seemed fairly comfortable although the ride was stiff.
By the way, I'm in a 2010 VW GOLF TDI (2 door) and fit fine in that little car because Germans design things for bigger people. I would consider a Tiguan but they really suck the fuel and the design is tired in my opinion. I'm open to a used Audi, but I don't want a big vehicle and I want to sit up higher now and get decent fuel economy. Any thoughts would be much appreciated! Overall, I still love the HR-V, but just wish it fit me better. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 05-15-2015, 11:11 PM

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
If you go over to the CX3 forum, the Australians who are driving it already could answer your questions.

As a happy Kia Soul owner (for almost 100K miles), I have to ask - have you given it a shot during your shopping? You might be surprised when you try it. Yea, it looks weird. But CR rates it with great reliability and highly recommends it. 20 more horsepower than the HRV, and more torque. High seating position. 6" shorter than the HRV but the same cargo space. Very well equipped. And significantly cheaper after a typical $2,500 to $3,500 or more discount. Oh, and if you absolutely need AWD, coming this September (also more HP, and better fuel economy).

Sorry everybody for the Kia Soul sales pitch. I just love the little green freaks to death.

ps: I'm 5'9" and I felt cramped for space with a sunroof. 6'4"? You must have been suffering.
post #3 of 22 Old 05-15-2015, 11:20 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm in Denver as well, like the HRV, but am so afraid will like the CX3 even more, if I can hold out to the anticipated fall CX3 introduction. Drove the CX5 and loved it compared to the CRV, but thinking as a second vehicle like the HRV & CX3 size. I'm only 5'9" so smaller vehicles are a good fit generally.
Like a lot about the HRV, going early tomorrow am to see it. (If any left !)
post #4 of 22 Old 05-15-2015, 11:29 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Darn; sorry to hear that DD. I hope it fits me better... I'm only 5'10, but it's all in my limbs: I have a basketballer's legs and arms, and a jockey's body. Headroom's never my problem, but I have trouble getting my legs out far enough. Guess I won't know until July, when the HRV finally comes to Canada.

Hope you find a great car that fits you to a T!
post #5 of 22 Old 05-15-2015, 11:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm taller than you and I fit okay in a 2nd gen Fit...so I'm surprised the HRV doesn't fit you. You should really consider the Golf, Golf Sportwagen, or GTI. Out of all the cars I've tried, those fit the best. If you need AWD, VW plans to come out with an AWD version of the Sportwagen later this year. Whichever car you choose, you should consider the lowest trim to avoid the sunroof (the enemy of the tall person). Good luck finding your car!
post #6 of 22 Old 05-16-2015, 12:09 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Have you looked at the 2015 Subaru XV Crosstrek, which has 43.5" of driver legroom? I was in a similar position to your: I'm a "leggy' 6'2" with 2 very bad knees who needed much more legroom than the FIT (41.4") or HR-V (41.2"). I looked at many possibilities and then tried the '15 Crosstrek Limited which was very comfortable and roomy for me. Short story: I bought it, now have 4k miles on it and love it...peppy, handles great and world-class AWD while averaging 28.5-29.5 mpg in semi-urban driving and higher on the h'wy.. I thought it'd be pretty good but, to my delight, it's much better than that! TRY it.

Good luck in your search.
post #7 of 22 Old 05-16-2015, 12:34 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks, everyone! These are all great ideas and I'll look into them all. I'm curious, despite the looks of the Trax, what do you think about it's reliability? I mean, VW doesn't rank all that great on reliability as a brand, but I've had pretty good luck with those cars. I would consider Golfs again, but they are getting lower and lower to the ground all the time. Really want to sit up higher with the next vehicle.
post #8 of 22 Old 05-16-2015, 12:46 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
After finding the HRV too small, and wishing all Honda seats moved back further, I'm thinking VW again. I had a Jetta for 12 years and thought it was great, but at this point, I also want to be less close to the ground. I'd get a Tiguan if they would finally put a TDI in it. But I found the 2015 Subaru Outback to be comfortable, too. I should check out the Trax.
post #9 of 22 Old 05-16-2015, 12:53 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
You'll be blown away by the leg room in the Trax. I actually need to move the seat forward a bit. The only issue is that the seat is way behind the "B Pillar", so when you get in and out it takes a bit more effort. However, it's a tradeoff I'm willing to make to sit up higher. It's much easier piling yourself in and out behind the B Pillar in a vehicle that sits up higher than it is in a Golf or similar car which sits much lower. When you exit the Trax you just sling your legs out and sort of fall out of the vehicle. LOL

Last edited by Denverdavo; 05-16-2015 at 12:55 AM.
post #10 of 22 Old 05-16-2015, 01:02 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denverdavo View Post
Unfortunately, my HR-V Obsession Bubble was burst today when I sat inside of a few of them here in Denver. .... but I have trouble wrapping my head around driving a Chevy, let alone a Buick even though I think the reliability will be fairly decent. The depreciation is another story, I imagine. The Renegade was comfortable, .... I'm open to a used Audi, but I don't want a big vehicle and I want to sit up higher now and get decent fuel economy. Any thoughts would be much appreciated! Overall, I still love the HR-V, but just wish it fit me better. Thanks!
I have had so many of the thoughts you put here.....not so much about the comfort of the seat - I'm 5'8" so it worked OK for me.

BUT - I stayed away from many other options b/c I just don't trust those brands and I think you are spot on about reliability and retaining value in the cars you mentioned. If I could afford an RDX or Q3 - I'd be seriously considering....I'm trying to downsize and need something reliable that will last for awhile. I used CR extensively and really rely on their opinions and research on cars. Because this car comes from a reliable brand - I am willing to go out on the brand spankin' new car limb before the car has proven itself.

After mulling it over and obsessively searching for cars this past 6 months - the only other car I seriously considered was the CR-V. Did you try that model? If I thought the HR-V wasn't going to work - the CR-V was definitely my plan B.

Best of luck to you!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda HR-V Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page