User Tag List

92Likes

post #1 of 163 Old 05-17-2015, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Lack of cubby storage space potential deal breaker

I have now test driven both an LX AWD and an EX-L AWD at my local dealership.

My initial impression is the HR-V is a much better driving vehicle than the new FIT (I have a 13 base FIT I really do love, and I've owned Hondas for the past 25 years.)

The HR-V's handling is tight, crisp and it turns on a dime. Way to go, Honda! Also, the road noise is vastly reduced over the new FIT. The acceleration was quite sufficient and much quieter and smoother than the FIT's. All in all, I thought the HR-V is a superb handling machine, and I think Honda has really kept to its zippy, good handling heritage. It lacks the coarseness I found in the new FIT.

I wasn't sure what to think of the new dash until I saw it in person. I really think the LX dash has a much cleaner appearance due to the buttons on the stereo. Yes, I'm old school that way. And, the knobs on the heating/air are Honda simplicity. On the EX-L, I thought that the new touch screens for both stereo and heating/air worked much more simply than I thought, but somehow the lack of buttons lends a lack of contrast to the dash. It's all too much of the same IMHO. I'm undecided on whether the air vents on the passenger side look cheap and out of place, or are a new design cue I would never have thought of.

The lane watch is an amazing feature, and I'm surprised more cars don't have it. The back up camera just works. The NAV is very simple to use, and did its job.

I'm not sure the leather in the EX-L is as comfortable as the cloth seats in the LX were. That could be a simple fix by going with the EX and having some Katskins put in.

But, the one thing that really bothers me as I reflect on whether or not to replace my 13 FIT with a new HR-V is the lack of cubby space. Yes, I'm spoiled with the amazing little cubbies in the 13 FIT. But, all the HR-V has (or, all I could find) was the space behind the console with the USB, etc. ports. My IPhone Six+ fit snuggly into that space, but that is ALL I could have fit in there. The cup holder space in the console is tiny, and it could fit a small water bottle, but for storage for a wallet/sunglasses, etc. it's pretty grim. The tiny storage space under the arm rest is next to useless. The storage space in the doors is also miniscule.

I don't haul everything but the kitchen sink with me when I drive. Yet, I do appreciate carrying a bottle of Uncle Harry's Breathing Mix essential oil spray, Burt's Bee's balm in a tin, sunglasses, hand lotion with me in my car. And, how can anyone drive without pens/pencils and a Moleskine?

I'm sad when I think that Honda cut back on something so basic as their famous ability to tuck in cubbies everywhere. Before I make a decision, I want to bring my "traveling tools" with me to see where they can live.

Also, unless I am missing something, the HR-V doesn't have the neat i-MID feature the Civics and the CR-V has where you can toggle through and see MPG, bluetooth, etc. I absolutely think this feature is brilliant.

Honestly, when looking at the value proposition given the lack of storage space and HP, the CR-V EX looks like the better value. My daughter has a 14 CR-V LX AWD, and I am amazed at the quality of that vehicle.

Does the HR-V have more cubbies than I saw? Does it have the i-MID and I missed it?

I have waited a year for the HR-V, and I'm not so sure anymore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 163 Old 05-17-2015, 01:08 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
No, you're absolutely correct on the storage space issue. The center console stage space is minimal. There is a magazine sleeve on the back of the passenger seat you missed. It;s pretty much the glove compartment.

And I think you've just given HRV4ME and his/her colleagues at American Honda a heart attack.
post #3 of 163 Old 05-17-2015, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Hondude, I do believe I've addressed an issue I have yet seen raised. To me, this is a serious concern coming from a life long Honda devotee.

And, I'd have a hard time reaching around for my "goodies" in that magazine sleeve behind the passenger seat. But, yes, I did miss it:-)
post #4 of 163 Old 05-17-2015, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Dealer add on for your storage needs...only $299
post #5 of 163 Old 05-17-2015, 01:19 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gruenie View Post
Hondude, I do believe I've addressed an issue I have yet seen raised. To me, this is a serious concern coming from a life long Honda devotee.

And, I'd have a hard time reaching around for my "goodies" in that magazine sleeve behind the passenger seat. But, yes, I did miss it:-)
The issue has been raised in some of the early reviews released when the embargo lifted on 30 April. You're not off base by any means.

One thing I noticed yesterday at a dealer, and it's admittedly trivial, is that the door storage in the back seats look almost look like the cup-holders from the front of the 2015 Fit. I did not have beverage to test though.
post #6 of 163 Old 05-17-2015, 01:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
[QUOTE=gruenie;98538) storage space and HP, the CR-V EX looks like the better value. My daughter has a 14 CR-V LX AWD, and I am amazed at the quality of that vehicle.
Does the HR-V have more cubbies than I saw? Does it have the i-MID and I missed it?
I have waited a year for the HR-V, and I'm not so sure anymore.[/QUOTE]
I've yet to be in one....but from the pics/videos, you are of course correct - not a lot of space for people junk. I do hear the good old 'glove compartment' though has a lot of space. My 2006 Civic's is tiny.
Odd that they should make this so that we get all that space behind us...but none of any consequence 'around us'.
I would never consider it a 'deal breaker'...I know like most Americans I have TOO MUCH junk in my car anyway...give me more space and I'll just have more of an excuse to keep it cluttered.
post #7 of 163 Old 05-17-2015, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
leavenfish, I don't want this to be a deal breaker. But, I think I'm of the junk free driving school, and the HR-V would force me to scale back even more. And, maybe that's a good thing:-)

Yes, the glove box was huge, and I was impressed with that for sure.
post #8 of 163 Old 05-17-2015, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
I'll have to point that out to my wife on the next HRV test drive. Her Soul has stuff everywhere. Sunglasses, little plastic animals, a whole closet full of "essential" things all stuck into the various cubbyholes all over the cockpit. It really does matter that you have spots to put his and her sunglasses, Kleenex, etc. Sometimes the little things become important things a month after you buy a car. Especially on longer trips, those cubbyholes are nice.

I've given the inaccessible ports some thought. I figure just put small USB extenders in there and let them droop out the side where you can get to them. I saw several 6" and 12" USB extenders at Best Buy.
post #9 of 163 Old 05-17-2015, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
scooterect, I forgot about where I'd put my small glass ladybug that sits right inside the tach on my 13 FIT:-) Yes, those little "essentials" are what make driving fun. They personalize the interior of the car in a way that matters to me.

Now that you mention getting small USB extenders (our 15 Outback has one in the middle storage area and it works quite well to extend the accessibility), I am wondering what the esthetics would be like by having a cord looping down from underneath that "USB area" and snaking up into the non-existent storage area in the console.

Oh, my, I am really rethinking this HR-V on this one "tiny" to me issue: cubby storage space. Does your wife love her Soul? I've been anti Kia and Hyundai on nothing but "just because" for years, although my car fanatic brother swears they are the best value out there. I've spent the past year betting on the HR-V so I have refused to look at the Soul. The Juke was bleh, and I just don't know what else is out there. A MINI four door is intriguing but I've been down the MINI reliability road and I just can't go there again.
post #10 of 163 Old 05-17-2015, 02:20 PM

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
We do love our Soul to death, but I fully acknowledge it's not for everyone. I'm cool with people who don't like it. If you decide to look at a Soul, here are three points of advice...

1. A new engine and slight remodel will be announced in June and at dealers 1 September. The biggies for waiting 3 months are a nicer engine and better fuel economy and available AWD.

2. The sweet spot in the Soul lineup is the Soul+ with audio.

3. Absolutely, positively don't pay list price. You can easily buy a Soul for $2,500 off. I mean easy. With a little work, $3,500 off. If you qualify for some incentives and go to a volume dealer at the right time of year, $4,500 off (but not often).

I may or may not get another Soul. We're going to take a few more test drives in the HRV before we decide. It's a nice little car. Not perfect. But nice.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda HR-V Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page