Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Arrow Worth to wait 2017 HRV?

Is it worth to wait for 2017 HRV?

Current 2016 model is great but it is missing 2 important upgrades to me:

1)1.5 turbo engine
2) new info system such as Android Auto

Honda in Japan just released Jade RS which uses 1.5 turbo and gets 148 HP which is 7 HP up from the current 1.8 engine that HRV is equipped; 7 HP doesn't sound a lot but would definitely help with highway passing. The beauty of the new engine is that it is 10~15% more fuel efficient than current 1.8 engine. Honda Civic 2016 is going to use the 1.5 turbo, to me it makes logical sense that HRV will also switch to the 1.5 turbo next year.

Unless you are using iphone which can connect to HDMI port of HRV to get most out of the phone functions, otherwise you only get audio & text but no map navigation if you are using an Android phone. Google is working with most automakers to push Android Auto into cars. Would HRV be upgraded to the new info system next year? If it did, I would skip EX-L trim and get an EX trim and be able to use phone navigation since I am not interested in forward collision warning or lane departure or roof rack that EX-L has; and I save $2500~$3000.

Please share your thoughts on these.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 95 Old 05-21-2015, 03:33 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Both are important upgrades for me as well though I _might_ have to spring for the 2016 as my car is getting on in years.

Honda is building an engine factory in Anna, Ohio. I don't know if this will supply Jade RS engines to Celaya if that engine is designated for the Fit.
7 more horsepower sounds like a negligible upgrade, but if it boosts MPG I'll take it.

Android Auto and Apple Car Play are both "promised" for future Hondas though I don't know how they will be allocated and, of course, when.
post #3 of 95 Old 05-21-2015, 03:48 PM
Red

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Thing to consider about Turbo engines is that your extra power to pass on the highway ends up gobbling through fuel at a faster rate then a more mundane natural I4. Turbocharging is great for touting efficiency figures, but in reality unless you're hypermilling Turbos are less efficient for the most part...
HRV4ME, Hondude and Bajando41 like this.

post #4 of 95 Old 05-21-2015, 03:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondude View Post
Both are important upgrades for me as well though I _might_ have to spring for the 2016 as my car is getting on in years.

Honda is building an engine factory in Anna, Ohio. I don't know if this will supply Jade RS engines to Celaya if that engine is designated for the Fit.
7 more horsepower sounds like a negligible upgrade, but if it boosts MPG I'll take it.

Android Auto and Apple Car Play are both "promised" for future Hondas though I don't know how they will be allocated and, of course, when.
You only get 7 extra ponies, but torque is 150 on the 1.5T, so that's around 25 more lb-ft than the HR-V now.
post #5 of 95 Old 05-21-2015, 04:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by randY49 View Post
You only get 7 extra ponies, but torque is 150 on the 1.5T, so that's around 25 more lb-ft than the HR-V now.
And its torque, no so much horsepower that the HRV sorely needs. Its current rating of127 is woeful in itself , but doesn't arrive until 4300rpm. Add this to the rubber band like response of the CVT and its no wonder the engine would often sound strained under acceleration even if relaxed at cruise. I would expect the turbo to have a drastic positive affect on the driving experience.
Bicepeak and Hondude like this.
post #6 of 95 Old 05-21-2015, 04:24 PM

Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Well HI and welcome to the forum...interesting first post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Is it worth to wait for 2017 HRV?

Current 2016 model is great but it is missing 2 important upgrades to me:

1)1.5 turbo engine
2) new info system such as Android Auto

Honda in Japan just released Jade RS which uses 1.5 turbo and gets 148 HP which is 7 HP up from the current 1.8 engine that HRV is equipped; 7 HP doesn't sound a lot but would definitely help with highway passing. The beauty of the new engine is that it is 10~15% more fuel efficient than current 1.8 engine. Honda Civic 2016 is going to use the 1.5 turbo, to me it makes logical sense that HRV will also switch to the 1.5 turbo next year.

Unless you are using iphone which can connect to HDMI port of HRV to get most out of the phone functions, otherwise you only get audio & text but no map navigation if you are using an Android phone. Google is working with most automakers to push Android Auto into cars. Would HRV be upgraded to the new info system next year? If it did, I would skip EX-L trim and get an EX trim and be able to use phone navigation since I am not interested in forward collision warning or lane departure or roof rack that EX-L has; and I save $2500~$3000.

Please share your thoughts on these.
post #7 of 95 Old 05-21-2015, 06:01 PM

Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Earlier this week we had 2 long timers leave and suddenly in the past 2 days there are a bunch of "newbies" popping up...hmmmmmm
post #8 of 95 Old 05-21-2015, 06:03 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRV4ME View Post
Earlier this week we had 2 long timers leave and suddenly in the past 2 days there are a bunch of "newbies" popping up...hmmmmmm
Becoming paranoid is another symptom HRV4ME. Don't ignore the red flags.
Bicepeak, idearat and Hondude like this.
post #9 of 95 Old 05-21-2015, 06:07 PM

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRV4ME View Post
Perhaps you didn't notice, but the HRV just came out last weekend. That may explain the sudden rise in forum membership.

RIP Bice and Scoot. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Werechull; 05-21-2015 at 06:11 PM.
post #10 of 95 Old 05-21-2015, 06:12 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Keep also in mind that just because a model with specific characteristics is realeased in japan doesn't neccessarily mean the US will follow
vtec likes this.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda HR-V Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page