Worth to wait 2017 HRV? - Honda HR-V Forum
User Tag List

 33Likes
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 95 Old 05-21-2015, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Arrow Worth to wait 2017 HRV?

Is it worth to wait for 2017 HRV?

Current 2016 model is great but it is missing 2 important upgrades to me:

1)1.5 turbo engine
2) new info system such as Android Auto

Honda in Japan just released Jade RS which uses 1.5 turbo and gets 148 HP which is 7 HP up from the current 1.8 engine that HRV is equipped; 7 HP doesn't sound a lot but would definitely help with highway passing. The beauty of the new engine is that it is 10~15% more fuel efficient than current 1.8 engine. Honda Civic 2016 is going to use the 1.5 turbo, to me it makes logical sense that HRV will also switch to the 1.5 turbo next year.

Unless you are using iphone which can connect to HDMI port of HRV to get most out of the phone functions, otherwise you only get audio & text but no map navigation if you are using an Android phone. Google is working with most automakers to push Android Auto into cars. Would HRV be upgraded to the new info system next year? If it did, I would skip EX-L trim and get an EX trim and be able to use phone navigation since I am not interested in forward collision warning or lane departure or roof rack that EX-L has; and I save $2500~$3000.

Please share your thoughts on these.
Mike is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 95 Old 05-21-2015, 03:33 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: NYC
Posts: 547
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Both are important upgrades for me as well though I _might_ have to spring for the 2016 as my car is getting on in years.

Honda is building an engine factory in Anna, Ohio. I don't know if this will supply Jade RS engines to Celaya if that engine is designated for the Fit.
7 more horsepower sounds like a negligible upgrade, but if it boosts MPG I'll take it.

Android Auto and Apple Car Play are both "promised" for future Hondas though I don't know how they will be allocated and, of course, when.
Hondude is offline  
post #3 of 95 Old 05-21-2015, 03:48 PM
Red
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 529
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Thing to consider about Turbo engines is that your extra power to pass on the highway ends up gobbling through fuel at a faster rate then a more mundane natural I4. Turbocharging is great for touting efficiency figures, but in reality unless you're hypermilling Turbos are less efficient for the most part...
HRV4ME, Hondude and Bajando41 like this.
Red is offline  
 
post #4 of 95 Old 05-21-2015, 03:58 PM
Senior Member
 
randY49's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 262
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondude View Post
Both are important upgrades for me as well though I _might_ have to spring for the 2016 as my car is getting on in years.

Honda is building an engine factory in Anna, Ohio. I don't know if this will supply Jade RS engines to Celaya if that engine is designated for the Fit.
7 more horsepower sounds like a negligible upgrade, but if it boosts MPG I'll take it.

Android Auto and Apple Car Play are both "promised" for future Hondas though I don't know how they will be allocated and, of course, when.
You only get 7 extra ponies, but torque is 150 on the 1.5T, so that's around 25 more lb-ft than the HR-V now.
randY49 is offline  
post #5 of 95 Old 05-21-2015, 04:18 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 402
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by randY49 View Post
You only get 7 extra ponies, but torque is 150 on the 1.5T, so that's around 25 more lb-ft than the HR-V now.
And its torque, no so much horsepower that the HRV sorely needs. Its current rating of127 is woeful in itself , but doesn't arrive until 4300rpm. Add this to the rubber band like response of the CVT and its no wonder the engine would often sound strained under acceleration even if relaxed at cruise. I would expect the turbo to have a drastic positive affect on the driving experience.
Bicepeak and Hondude like this.
Okhick is offline  
post #6 of 95 Old 05-21-2015, 04:24 PM
Senior Member
 
HRV4ME's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,732
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Well HI and welcome to the forum...interesting first post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Is it worth to wait for 2017 HRV?

Current 2016 model is great but it is missing 2 important upgrades to me:

1)1.5 turbo engine
2) new info system such as Android Auto

Honda in Japan just released Jade RS which uses 1.5 turbo and gets 148 HP which is 7 HP up from the current 1.8 engine that HRV is equipped; 7 HP doesn't sound a lot but would definitely help with highway passing. The beauty of the new engine is that it is 10~15% more fuel efficient than current 1.8 engine. Honda Civic 2016 is going to use the 1.5 turbo, to me it makes logical sense that HRV will also switch to the 1.5 turbo next year.

Unless you are using iphone which can connect to HDMI port of HRV to get most out of the phone functions, otherwise you only get audio & text but no map navigation if you are using an Android phone. Google is working with most automakers to push Android Auto into cars. Would HRV be upgraded to the new info system next year? If it did, I would skip EX-L trim and get an EX trim and be able to use phone navigation since I am not interested in forward collision warning or lane departure or roof rack that EX-L has; and I save $2500~$3000.

Please share your thoughts on these.
HRV4ME is offline  
post #7 of 95 Old 05-21-2015, 06:01 PM
Senior Member
 
HRV4ME's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,732
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Earlier this week we had 2 long timers leave and suddenly in the past 2 days there are a bunch of "newbies" popping up...hmmmmmm
HRV4ME is offline  
post #8 of 95 Old 05-21-2015, 06:03 PM
Senior Member
 
Vanguard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 389
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRV4ME View Post
Earlier this week we had 2 long timers leave and suddenly in the past 2 days there are a bunch of "newbies" popping up...hmmmmmm
Becoming paranoid is another symptom HRV4ME. Don't ignore the red flags.
Bicepeak, idearat and Hondude like this.
Vanguard is offline  
post #9 of 95 Old 05-21-2015, 06:07 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Chandler, AZ
Posts: 231
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRV4ME View Post
Earlier this week we had 2 long timers leave and suddenly in the past 2 days there are a bunch of "newbies" popping up...hmmmmmm
Perhaps you didn't notice, but the HRV just came out last weekend. That may explain the sudden rise in forum membership.

RIP Bice and Scoot. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Werechull; 05-21-2015 at 06:11 PM.
Werechull is offline  
post #10 of 95 Old 05-21-2015, 06:12 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Keep also in mind that just because a model with specific characteristics is realeased in japan doesn't neccessarily mean the US will follow
vtec likes this.
jocoleman is offline  
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Honda HR-V Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2017 HRV wish list? scooterct Honda HR-V General Discussion 60 11-29-2016 06:51 PM
Malaysia: 6 month wait Red Dealers, Purchasing and Ordering 1 04-29-2015 11:17 AM
I may still wait Bicepeak Honda HR-V General Discussion 37 04-08-2015 05:08 PM
I will wait for the 2016 HR-V EricMartin Honda HR-V General Discussion 10 08-19-2014 03:13 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome