11Likes

post #1 of 28 Old 05-22-2015, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Red face Automatic Brake Hold

Hi guys,

I notice that honda hrv has the "Automatic Brake Hold" as standard feature, my question is that are we allow to leave the automatic brake hold on at all times?

It would be nice if it will stay active and hold the vehicle at all time when the vehicle stop, so no need to continuously keep turning on and off the brake hold.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 05-22-2015, 10:01 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
This is from the owner's guide:

Automatic Brake Hold
Maintains rear brake hold even after the brake pedal is released. Make sure the vehicle is on and your seat belt is fastened when operating this feature.
1. Press the BRAKE HOLD button behind the shift lever. The BRAKE HOLD indicator appears in the instrument panel.
2. With the shift lever in Drive (D) or Neutral (N), press the brake pedal and come to a complete stop. The HOLD indicator appears, and brake hold is applied. Release the brake pedal.
Press the accelerator pedal (or shift into a gear and release the clutch pedal for manual transmission) to cancel brake hold and start moving.
To turn off brake hold: Press the brake pedal and press BRAKE HOLD again.
Automatic brake hold cancels when:

• Braking is applied for more than 10 minutes.

• The electric parking brake is engaged.

• The foot brake is pressed and the shift lever is moved to P or R.
• The engine stalls (manual transmission).

• The driver’s seat belt is unfastened.

• The engine is turned off.

..so I think you'll have to activate it each time, since it cancels once you hit the gas.
post #3 of 28 Old 05-22-2015, 10:28 PM

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
How is all this better than the simple act of depressing the brake pedal?
idearat likes this.

post #4 of 28 Old 05-23-2015, 01:06 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
It's worded very ambiguously, but the way I read this if you want the feature on you only have to turn it on once per trip. Once it's on, whenever you come to a stop with your foot on the brake the 'hold' light turns on and you can lift your foot off the brake. Once you press the gas or engage the clutch the brake releases, but I think the feature stays on, so next time you stop it will activate again.

I could be wrong; as I said it's not entirely clear from the wording. But the fact that there are two lights, one to indicate the feature is set, and the other to indicate that it's currently holding, leads me to believe you don't have to re-engage it at every stop.

Just don't have the seatbelt latched behind you, engage the brake hold and climb out of the car to ask directions or take a photo, because in 10 minutes the car's leaving whether you're on board or not!

I can see this maybe being useful after half an hour in stop and go traffic if you're leg's cramping, but I've only ever had that happen with the clutch foot with a heavily-sprung clutch. Hey, how about a 'clutch hold' feature??

Anyway, can't see myself ever using this. Maybe it'll prove me wrong.
post #5 of 28 Old 05-23-2015, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-cape View Post
It's better because it has a catchy name they can put in a list of features, and sounds like high-tech automation. They can't very well say "Comes with a brake pedal... just press to stop the car and hold it in place!".
mozarks likes this.
post #6 of 28 Old 05-23-2015, 01:13 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
This is something different than the feature that keeps the car from rolling backward on hills, right? I like that idea at least.
post #7 of 28 Old 05-23-2015, 01:32 AM

Yep, the hill start assist is (I believe) always active, and just holds the brakes on for a second when you lift your foot off, giving you time to get on the gas. At least that's how I understand it.
post #8 of 28 Old 05-23-2015, 06:30 AM
JWB

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
I tested this when I drove it at the dealer. It worked and I only pressed it once that trip, but it kept working later at a light when I stopped again.
idearat and randY49 like this.
post #9 of 28 Old 05-27-2015, 04:47 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
I get stuck in traffic on the highway often enough that this sounds like an absolute godsend to me. Just being able to flex my brake foot from time to time would be great. (And not having my left foot cramping from the clutch, woo.)

I can also see how this would be great for parents who need to twist around to check on their kids when they come to a stop - no risk of your foot slipping off the pedal and you hitting something when you're doing so.
Bajando41 likes this.
post #10 of 28 Old 05-27-2015, 05:13 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGinMA View Post
Quote:
I get stuck in traffic on the highway often enough that this sounds like an absolute godsend to me. Just being able to flex my brake foot from time to time would be great. (And not having my left foot cramping from the clutch, woo.)

I can also see how this would be great for parents who need to twist around to check on their kids when they come to a stop - no risk of your foot slipping off the pedal and you hitting something when you're doing so.
Well ... Unless you absentmindly remove your seat belt when you turn around - or you are stuck waiting on a train and never put it into park and 10 mins later you are moving again. Seems really weird to create a feature that can turn itself off while in use!

Also I could see a person really use to using it and they forget to turn it on - but they think it's on. Just silly things - but why not just always have it on and let the person either disable it or enable it once? Hmm. Hopefully they didn't make up rules like that for ABS, traction control or the air bags!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda HR-V Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page