User Tag List

13Likes

post #1 of 29 Old 06-03-2015, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Towing

Many Americans now days tow bikes and small stuff. I am sad the HRV does not recommend towing. I am sure you can tow but if in an accident lawyers will eat you alive in a court room as you read the non recommendation to the jury.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 06-04-2015, 12:56 AM

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
I was very excited about the HR-V but the lack of towing killed it for me. I have a 231 pound dirtbike that I tow with a 300 pound utility trailer. A reasonable expectation for this type of vehicle.

Too bad, Honda once had an ad showing an Element trailering two Honda dirtbikes. I suppose they truly view the HR-V as an urban vehicle and not outdoor-oriented.
post #3 of 29 Old 06-04-2015, 02:22 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-cape View Post
I was very excited about the HR-V but the lack of towing killed it for me. I have a 231 pound dirtbike that I tow with a 300 pound utility trailer. A reasonable expectation for this type of vehicle.

Too bad, Honda once had an ad showing an Element trailering two Honda dirtbikes. I suppose they truly view the HR-V as an urban vehicle and not outdoor-oriented.
Killed it for me as well. I do like the HR-V, but a need is a need, and I need to tow with my next car, cuv, suv, hatchback....automobile.
Werechull likes this.

post #4 of 29 Old 06-04-2015, 06:33 AM

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
It would have been especially nice as the HRV is one of the few well-equipped manual vehicles. Like you said, a need is a need.
post #5 of 29 Old 06-04-2015, 08:41 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
If I otherwise loved the car, and only needed it for occasional towing up to 1/2 ton. I would not let the lack of a tow rating stop me from purchase. Honda Australia rates it for 1100 lbs unbraked. You can be assured at least a couple of reputable companies will supply hitches for it over here. I have put hitches on a number of compact cars over the years not rated for towing that have gone in for service or repairs with no hassle . Barring a catastrophic driveline failure, you are not going to have a warranty problem. That won't happen unless you do something not so smart or Honda builds far weaker cars than I thought. If I buy one of these or a Mazda 3 or CX-3, it will get a hitch.

I wonder if the warranty expressly states it will be invalid if the car is used for towing. Can an owner help us out on that?
randY49 likes this.

Last edited by Okhick; 06-05-2015 at 08:36 AM.
post #6 of 29 Old 06-04-2015, 10:21 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Besides warranty, any insurance concerns?
post #7 of 29 Old 06-04-2015, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
As far as I was told. Bike Racks are an okay for this vehicle. Anything less than 800 LBS will be capable of "towing". Thus, Yakima Bike rack here I come. The idea of towing a trailer may be out of the question but having a tow hitch just for bikes and cargo is still available as far as I know of.

2016 - Mulberry Metallic HR-V AWD CVT EX[6/02/2015]
2002 - Midnight Black - Civic Si [06/2011]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 29 Old 06-04-2015, 03:47 PM
Red

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Quote:

KIa Soul has a tow rating of 550 lbs, perfect for what you need
post #9 of 29 Old 06-04-2015, 04:04 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okhick View Post
If I otherwise loved the car, and only needed it for occasional towing up to 1/2 ton. I would not let the lack of a tow rating stop me from purchase. Honda Australia rates it for 1100 lbs unbraked. You can be assured at least a couple of reputable companies will supply hitches for it over here. I have put hitches on a number of compact cars over the years not rated for towing that have gone in for service or repairs with no hassle . Barring a catastrophic driveline failure, you are not going to have a warranty problem. That won't happen unless you do something not so smart or Honda builds far weaker cars than I thought. If I buy one of these or a Mazda 3 or CX-3, it will get a hitch.

If wonder if the warranty expressly states it will be invalid if the car is used for towing. Can an owner help us out on that?
I"m getting a hitch on mine once I get it.
I had a hitch on my 96 Civic for 15 years,until the unibody where it was attached to started to rust through.

I have a 300 lb light weight aluminum trailer that I will put maybe 700 lbs of stuff in. Throw bikes`coolers in to go camping, deliver a fridge, so handy!

Make sure you drive extra safe, leave extra room as your braking distance has increased.

Luckily In Canada its less of an issue with law suits.
As the CVT is from the much heavier Accord, you shouldnt need to baby the transmission.
post #10 of 29 Old 06-04-2015, 04:57 PM

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
Quote:

KIa Soul has a tow rating of 550 lbs, perfect for what you need
You are to Kia Souls what HRV4ME is to the Honda HR-V
Ex-cape likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda HR-V Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page