Honda HR-V Forum banner

New 2017 LX AWD - First Impression

5K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  cuzcon@optonline.net 
#1 ·
[FONT=&quot]I picked up my new HR-V 2017 LX AWD yesterday, and I would like to report my initial impressions. Of course only having it for 24 hours doesn’t give any long-term verification of my very short experience! So bear with me![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]First, it is a very stylish little car that has much going for it. It feels responsive on the road and is roomy and comfortable. I am satisfied with the radio, Bluetooth, and air conditioning system. I am short (5’2”), so I have the seat pumped all the way up so that I can oversee what’s going on around me. I feel very comfortable and secure in the seat, but I wish the passenger seat also had a pump. The person sitting there looks rather low compared to my position. My other disappointment is the lack of storage space in the front. I am coming from a little Toyota Scion XA that I had for almost 12 years, and that little dynamo had tons of storage. With the HR-V, I am forced to downsize tremendously, which may not be a bad thing. At least that is what I am telling myself. I’m trying to stay on the bright side.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]However, I have two more not-so-positive observations that I hope will change with usage over time. Even though the HR-V feels responsive, I do notice sluggishness on acceleration. It’s like a short drag until it gets to about 40-50 mph. Perhaps it’s the CVT transmission. Regardless, it’s noticeable and disappointing. My Scion was a stick shift with only 103hp, but it had more immediate pickup. And that brings me to my second not-so-positive observation. However, this one is no fault of the HR-V, so I can’t blame the car. In all my years of driving (about 40), I have only owned manual transmission cars. This is my first automatic. I really wanted a manual HR-V, but I live in New York, and every dealer I went to told me that I would not be able to get a manual transmission in the Northeast because Honda does not sell 2WD here and the manual HR-V is 2WD. They told me they are only available in the South, and they don’t order them. They also said that if I were to find one here, it’s because it was delivered by mistake. That was a constant from all the dealerships I went to without exception. So I resigned myself to buying the CVT. And after only one day, I REALLY miss my stick shift, which makes my new car experience a bittersweet one. Once you’ve driven a stick for so many years, there’s just no comparison. Again, I am hoping I can adjust because I really want to fully enjoy this car.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]In spite of the negatives so far, I do like the car in general, and I’m hoping that I will come to love it. Only time will tell.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

See less See more
#2 ·
I had trouble finding a place for my sunglasses and reading glasses. Found a nice place on left side of driver seat on floor. I can reach down and easily get. I am coming from a Yaris so for me the acceleration is more than adequate.

Dealer is lazy if they can't get a car you want, i.e. Manual vs CVT.

Enjoy your HRV.

#3 ·
Fearturtle44, mine is also Lunar Silver, and it's a beautiful color. I wanted the lighter interior, so I am very happy with both the inside and outside color combination.

The problem with getting a manual is that they are just not available in the Northeast. That was told to me by every dealer I went to see. And I couldn't just have them order one for me because I had an additional issue. I had test driven a manual Subaru Crosstrek, and much to my surprise and disappointment, I could not depress the clutch pedal comfortably even with my seat as far up as necessary. I have short legs, but I never had that problem with any other manual car I have ever owned. So I would need to actually sit in a manual transmission HR-V to make sure that I could reach the clutch without a problem before I could even order one. However, the catch 22 is that since there are none available here, I can't test it to know if it would work! Very frustrating!!!

#4 ·
Congrats on the new car! Hope more miles add more smiles. It's really a fine little car, versatile and reliable. Lack of front storage made me prioritize what I really need to keep up front. I learned to live with less stuff and less clutter. It turned out ok.

#5 ·
Marie GN,

Valid point on all your observations.
If I could add to it would be the lack of lumbar adjustment. I guess it is for the 40+ years old crowd :)
Stick shift YES, I like feeling the little boost the engine gives at 3500 RPM and be able over to 4500-5000 where another kick comes from VTec.
Also, driving my girlfriend's accord w/ automatic, I hate that the car shifts back from overdrive to lesser gear on any slight uphill. The thing has a V6 with nearly 300HP, keep it in top gear and use that torque.
Downside of the manual trans, is that at 80 mph. the manual is revving at 3400 RPM vs. the CVT at 2000 RPM.
I Also agree on amount storage space. My VW had tons more places to store things.

#7 · (Edited)
interesting, but is it -or was it - really written in 2005- see bottom of the page.
I am impressed by the near 40 mpg I am getting driving on county roads at 45-55 mph,
not so impressed at hwy driving at 75-80mph. My MPG is yet to be figured out or verified by actual hand calculated gallon filled / milage driven, but looks as it will be closer to 30 mpg.
1.8 liter engine with this tall body mini SUV is not a hwy eating monster as my VW jetta 2.0 liter turbo diesel was. aat 50 mpg.
I am hoping honda will put a 2.0 turbo in the hr-v and I will be super happy to trade in my current one.

#12 ·
Living in Wisconsin (northern state) one dealer had 3 manuals on the lot, the other had none. They said they can't keep them I stock here, but I snagged one. Snow tires make up for 2wd :)

I agree on storage space, the fit does a better job with a smaller interior. I down sized my crap, and honestly don't notice anymore

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.