LED headlights - OK to cover heatsink with weather seals? - Honda HR-V Forum
User Tag List

8Likes

post #1 of 27 Old 12-23-2016, 04:57 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
LED headlights - OK to cover heatsink with weather seals?

Hi all.

I just bought and installed LED white headlight bulbs on my HRV. These ones to be exact:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These have heatsinks that make them stick out the back of the housing more than the stock bulbs. I managed to fit the power cable from the new bulbs through the weather seal, and put the weather seals back.

Living in Vancouver, aka the Wet Coast, I'm hoping this is ok to put the rubber seals back over these heatsinks and stop moisture from getting into the housing.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 12-23-2016, 10:18 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Garage
Those are super cheap!

I don't have any advice to give, just wanted to comment to see how you like the bulbs

2016 HR-V EX 6MT - Purchased 4/14/16.

Behold: The Ninja Turtle
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 27 Old 12-23-2016, 10:25 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by solidstylez View Post
Living in Vancouver, aka the Wet Coast, I'm hoping this is ok to put the rubber seals back over these heatsinks and stop moisture from getting into the housing.
Thoughts?
If you can, keep the heatsink uncovered. Heatsink work on airflow (passive in this case) in order to dissipate the heat.
Covering them, will reduce the efficiency. Also I am not sure how hot yours will get, and possibly melt the weather seal.
Your bulbs are advertised to be "waterproof", so I am not sure why you want to cover the heatsink.

You can also try an experiment with the heatsink without being covered. After having the headlights on for a while, check how hot the heatsink get. Try both low and high beams.
If they do get too hot. then definitely you can not cover them. If they do not get hot, then maybe... But still, I would leave them uncovered.
ddemetra and Phalkon30 like this.

post #4 of 27 Old 12-23-2016, 04:37 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I appreciate the feedback everyone!

In regards to why I wanted to put the weather seals on, I was under the impression that this is to help keep moisture out of the headlight housing. Is this not the case?

But I also don't want to burn/melt the weather seals. I was wondering if anyone maybe has tried it with them on.
post #5 of 27 Old 12-23-2016, 11:58 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
I don't know the brand of your light. If it is installed properly the seal would not be covering the heat sink. The metal part on the light in the pic can be removed with a twist and slides out. Install that bracket first then put the seal over it and slide the light back in. Most the LEDs I have seen are installed that way.

cotonHRV likes this.

2016 EX AWD

Last edited by Einz; 12-24-2016 at 12:15 AM.
post #6 of 27 Old 12-24-2016, 03:25 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
aaaand I feel like an idiot. Big thanks to @Einz

I've always assumed they were one piece. I didn't know you can take off the metal cap. Guess that serves me right for always throwing the box away and assuming the instructions also mirror what's in the manual.

since the bulbs were already "installed" with the retaining hook in place, I twisted the bulb and sure enough I could pull it out with the plate still there. I put the weather seal back on, put the bulb through no problem, and twisted it back to the plate.

Now the heatsinks are outside like they should be, and the weather seal is protecting the housing!
post #7 of 27 Old 12-24-2016, 03:27 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
and @Phalkon30 , they are nice and bright! Loving these instead of the stock halogens.
Phalkon30 likes this.
post #8 of 27 Old 12-25-2016, 09:07 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I just order the same bulb! with 3000k for the fog
post #9 of 27 Old 12-27-2016, 12:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by solidstylez View Post
and @Phalkon30 , they are nice and bright! Loving these instead of the stock halogens.
How is the throw on these? I get flashed with my stock bulbs when I'm hauling crap in the back, I don't want to be even more annoying with light spilling out in all directions.

I had a bad experience with putting HID in reflector housings, don't want to repeat that for other drivers around me.

2016 HR-V EX 6MT - Purchased 4/14/16.

Behold: The Ninja Turtle

post #10 of 27 Old 12-27-2016, 03:33 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
They seem to be copy of the Phillips design. If they did it right, the beam pattern should looked like the Phillips.

solidstylez likes this.

2016 EX AWD

Last edited by Einz; 12-27-2016 at 03:42 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda HR-V Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page