• 1 Post By slippyturtle
  • 2 Post By SlowFosho

post #1 of 10 Old 02-16-2017, 06:29 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Protecting/Renewing black plastic trim

I've used several black plastic "restoring" products in the past that don't last very long. I mostly used Mother's back to black and just recently tried Meguiars natural shine protectant, but they don't last very long and usually come off when it rains. Has anyone tried something similar to restore and/or protect the exterior black plastic trim that lasts longer than a couple weeks?

Last edited by SlowFosho; 02-16-2017 at 07:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-16-2017, 07:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Will be following this post to see what others have used- I too have used Mothers- there has to be something that works-
post #3 of 10 Old 02-16-2017, 07:24 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowFosho View Post
I've used several black plastic "restoring" products in the past that don't last very long. I mostly used Mother's back to black and just recently tried Meguiars natural shine protectant, but they don't last very long and usually come off when it rains. Has anyone tried something similar to restore and or protect the exterior black plastic trim lasts for than a couple weeks?
I use a product called "CQuartz DLUX" https://www.carpro-us.com/coatings-s...-30ml-sky-kit/ -- basically works as a hard coat sealant for your plastic trim, keeping it looking new and waterproof for 6 months or more at a time (like you would seal your paint but this is for plastic trim). In my personal experience, I've only redone the application once a year, with the trim staying black, looking like new, and beading water without wearing off... honestly I don't think I needed to redo my application when I did, but just did so because a year was up and I had time to do it one day. YMMV depending on how long your car sits in the burning sun each day. You might also consider Gtechnic C4 as a similar product. I highly recommend this and I'm confident you'll never use anything else after you try it. It does require proper surface prep and a slow deliberate installation process, but imo it's well worth the effort.
Choccy74 likes this.

post #4 of 10 Old 02-16-2017, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks Slippy. I'll check both of those out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 Old 05-16-2017, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I ended up going with the Cquartz Dlux after reading reviews and watching this video.
https://youtu.be/_jX01ntst0g

I put it on the hrv in March and on the crv in April. After a lot of rain and some really hot days, the plastic trim on both cars still looks great. Thanks again for the recommendation Slippy.
slippyturtle and johns_87 like this.
post #6 of 10 Old 05-16-2017, 07:22 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Would spray paint like Rustoleum work as well/easier? I know they make a product for car outside plastic trim.

2017 LX CVT Lunar Silver
post #7 of 10 Old 05-16-2017, 08:42 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I ended up going with the Cquartz Dlux after reading reviews and watching this video.

I put it on the hrv in March and on the crv in April. After a lot of rain and some really hot days, the plastic trim on both cars still looks great. Thanks again for the recommendation Slippy.
I've heard really good things about some CQuartz products. They have a sealant for paint and from what I've heard, it's an absolute pain in the ass to get done properly because you have to make sure your paint is 100% immaculate before applying it. And the application process is labor intensive too. But this stuff is supposed to last 1-2 years which is incredible.

I'll have to check out the Dlux too. I recently purchased a few new products my detailing friend told me to get because I want to make sure this car is properly maintained.

2017 LX AWD - Modern Steel Metallic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by johns_87; 05-16-2017 at 08:45 PM.
post #8 of 10 Old 05-17-2017, 05:24 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearturtle44 View Post
Would spray paint like Rustoleum work as well/easier? I know they make a product for car outside plastic trim.
I don't think spray painting is easier. You risk spray painting other parts of the body unless you put a lot if time to cover up all the other areas. Using Cquartz is almost as easy as using armor all.
post #9 of 10 Old 05-17-2017, 05:27 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by johns_87 View Post
I've heard really good things about some CQuartz products. They have a sealant for paint and from what I've heard, it's an absolute pain in the ass to get done properly because you have to make sure your paint is 100% immaculate before applying it. And the application process is labor intensive too. But this stuff is supposed to last 1-2 years which is incredible.

I'll have to check out the Dlux too. I recently purchased a few new products my detailing friend told me to get because I want to make sure this car is properly maintained.
I used Klasse paint sealant on the crv. It's supposed to last about a year. Applying it wasn't too hard either.
https://www.amazon.com/Klasse-High-G.../dp/B0002LBKFQ
post #10 of 10 Old 05-17-2017, 03:07 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Quote:

Glad it worked out for you! It really makes maintaining all the black trim on this car much easier.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda HR-V Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page