User Tag List

96Likes

post #21 of 163 Old 05-18-2015, 01:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicepeak View Post
Yeah that should help free up space under the shifter. Rethinking my reservations about storage here.

Do you guys think it would be weird to go to the dealer with stuff I usually store in the dash area to see how it would work out for me?
Not at all, I say go for it!!! I brought my Ipod, sunglasses case, phone and cables with me and got them all hooked up during my test drive to see how much space there was. Put it all into a bag with a list of everything you have (that way you won't forget something) and see if it all fits. You have to live with this car, and part of that is making sure that it'll hold all things you use / want.
idearat and mozarks like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 163 Old 05-18-2015, 01:17 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dermochelys View Post
Not at all, I say go for it!!! I brought my Ipod, sunglasses case, phone and cables with me and got them all hooked up during my test drive to see how much space there was. Put it all into a bag with a list of everything you have (that way you won't forget something) and see if it all fits. You have to live with this car, and part of that is making sure that it'll hold all things you use / want.
I have been thinking a short cell phone cable would be be pretty slick when storing the cell phone in the slot designed for it. No need for cords taking up space in the under shift area.
I am hoping I can make this work because I am starting to like this car in so many ways. ( Although I will miss that handy shelf over the glove box in my current car.)
post #23 of 163 Old 05-18-2015, 11:01 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
I made the 100 mile round trip to my nearest Honda dealer today (my first opportunity to check out the HR-V) and I, too, was disappointed with the lack of space to "put my stuff"..... There are "small" spaces in the driver and passenger side doors. In my Matrix, there are long spaces to put maps (and other "stuff") in each door, but I doubt a map of my state would fit in the space in the HR-V's door. I'm not interested in the leather interior, roof rails, or "Navi" -- especially since you have to pay to update the info from time to time -- I'll continue to rely on maps and Mapquest, which are "free". I don't know why Honda didn't make these "storage spaces" larger since the rest of the door was not being used (that I could see). They could have made better use of that wasted space.

I also have a "double deck" storage bin in the Matrix's armrest/console, and a storage bin under the gear shift. The console cubby is very small -- I doubt a small package of tissues could fit there, and certainly not the extra napkins, straws, salt and pepper pkgs. I collect from Mickey D's or Burger King.... I guess a pair of sunglasses could fit in the slot on each side of the console, but that's "all" that could fit there.

I took a look at the floor covering -- and it is sort of like a synthetic felt, but there are carpet mats that could cover the front and back seating areas and the back of the back seats -- it's just "OK", and possibly more practical than the carpeting in my Matrix.

I looked at both EX and EX-L models, and the fabric on the EX was OK, but on the doors it ran all the way up to the top of doors where the window slides down into the door. Fabric "above", plastic "below" -- I hope you can understand what I mean. In my Matrix, there is plastic on the upper part of the door, to where the window slides down, then fabric below the plastic (seems more practical when opening the door, or if you've left the window open (accidentally) if it's raining -- the fabric won't get wet/stained). In the EX-L model, the door was upholstered in all leather.

I asked the salesman about the paddle shifters (senior, widow, I don't know about all this new stuff......). He explained how they worked, but it didn't sound like anything I'd ever use, until I noticed there was no "2" or "L" on the gear shift. There are times when I do drop into "2" going down hills where I live (rather than braking all the way down hill). Then he explained I would need to use the "-" on the paddle shifters to down shift....

The HR-V seemed to be peppy enough for my driving style. I live in a rural area, and HAVE to drive to "do anything", so I'm looking for an economical car to drive.

I'll take another look next weekend (the Ocean Blue Pearl HR-V left the showroom 2 hours before I got there). That dealer got 6 in Thursday night, and have sold 4 -- only the dark gray and black were left. I might have to take another look at the RAV-4 or CR-V, even through they are larger than I need (and more expensive to buy). The Subaru Impreza was another option, but after reading about all the oil Subaru engines burn I don't think I want to put my $$$$ into a car that's going to cost me more $$$ to operate in the long run.....

Guess I'll continue reading comments (Pros and Cons) from people who have checked out the HR-V. I was sooooo hoping this could be a replacement from my Matrix......... At my age, maybe I'll just buy another set of tires and replace the catalytic converter and keep driving it.....
notrubc likes this.

post #24 of 163 Old 05-18-2015, 11:54 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mozarks View Post
I made the 100 mile round trip to my nearest Honda dealer today (my first opportunity to check out the HR-V) and I, too, was disappointed with the lack of space to "put my stuff"..... There are "small" spaces in the driver and passenger side doors. In my Matrix, there are long spaces to put maps (and other "stuff") in each door, but I doubt a map of my state would fit in the space in the HR-V's door. I'm not interested in the leather interior, roof rails, or "Navi" -- especially since you have to pay to update the info from time to time -- I'll continue to rely on maps and Mapquest, which are "free". I don't know why Honda didn't make these "storage spaces" larger since the rest of the door was not being used (that I could see). They could have made better use of that wasted space.

I also have a "double deck" storage bin in the Matrix's armrest/console, and a storage bin under the gear shift. The console cubby is very small -- I doubt a small package of tissues could fit there, and certainly not the extra napkins, straws, salt and pepper pkgs. I collect from Mickey D's or Burger King.... I guess a pair of sunglasses could fit in the slot on each side of the console, but that's "all" that could fit there.

I took a look at the floor covering -- and it is sort of like a synthetic felt, but there are carpet mats that could cover the front and back seating areas and the back of the back seats -- it's just "OK", and possibly more practical than the carpeting in my Matrix.

I looked at both EX and EX-L models, and the fabric on the EX was OK, but on the doors it ran all the way up to the top of doors where the window slides down into the door. Fabric "above", plastic "below" -- I hope you can understand what I mean. In my Matrix, there is plastic on the upper part of the door, to where the window slides down, then fabric below the plastic (seems more practical when opening the door, or if you've left the window open (accidentally) if it's raining -- the fabric won't get wet/stained). In the EX-L model, the door was upholstered in all leather.

I asked the salesman about the paddle shifters (senior, widow, I don't know about all this new stuff......). He explained how they worked, but it didn't sound like anything I'd ever use, until I noticed there was no "2" or "L" on the gear shift. There are times when I do drop into "2" going down hills where I live (rather than braking all the way down hill). Then he explained I would need to use the "-" on the paddle shifters to down shift....

The HR-V seemed to be peppy enough for my driving style. I live in a rural area, and HAVE to drive to "do anything", so I'm looking for an economical car to drive.

I'll take another look next weekend (the Ocean Blue Pearl HR-V left the showroom 2 hours before I got there). That dealer got 6 in Thursday night, and have sold 4 -- only the dark gray and black were left. I might have to take another look at the RAV-4 or CR-V, even through they are larger than I need (and more expensive to buy). The Subaru Impreza was another option, but after reading about all the oil Subaru engines burn I don't think I want to put my $$$$ into a car that's going to cost me more $$$ to operate in the long run.....

Guess I'll continue reading comments (Pros and Cons) from people who have checked out the HR-V. I was sooooo hoping this could be a replacement from my Matrix......... At my age, maybe I'll just buy another set of tires and replace the catalytic converter and keep driving it.....
Thanks for the very thorough analysis. I to am hoping for a Matrix like vehicle. The high seating and storage is very important to me.
post #25 of 163 Old 05-19-2015, 01:00 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Mozarks, I have many of the same impressions as you have about the HR-V. Ultimately, after waiting a year for it, I chose to decline.

Please look into the vibration issues with the new 15 CR-V. It was a deal breaker for me, and I'm a life long Honda owner. I think Honda is really sinking in quality. The new Fit, IMHO, is cheap, coarse and noisy.

Don't write off Subaru! The oil issue was for older ones. I'm looking into the Crosstrek and I'm an "old lady car fanatic." I have test driven it, and it fits the bill right now. More testing to follow, though. The Impreza may be too low to the ground coming off of your Matrix. Give the Forester a spin. It has tons of room and is a little beast. We have a 2015 Outback, and it's the best vehicle we've owned (and I've owned far too many!)

The 2012-2013 Fits, especially the Sport, while not a CUV, are really nice. Lots of cubby space as well as storage space. There are many certified ones on the market.
post #26 of 163 Old 05-19-2015, 01:37 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
I Didn't Notice Any Vibrations

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruenie View Post
Mozarks, I have many of the same impressions as you have about the HR-V. Ultimately, after waiting a year for it, I chose to decline.

Please look into the vibration issues with the new 15 CR-V. It was a deal breaker for me, and I'm a life long Honda owner. I think Honda is really sinking in quality. The new Fit, IMHO, is cheap, coarse and noisy.

The 2012-2013 Fits, especially the Sport, while not a CUV, are really nice. Lots of cubby space as well as storage space. There are many certified ones on the market.
I've driven A few CR Vs in the past month, FWD version. No vibrations noted whatsoever.
post #27 of 163 Old 05-19-2015, 05:02 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gruenie View Post

Don't write off Subaru! The oil issue was for older ones. I'm looking into the Crosstrek and I'm an "old lady car fanatic." I have test driven it, and it fits the bill right now. More testing to follow, though. The Impreza may be too low to the ground coming off of your Matrix. Give the Forester a spin. It has tons of room and is a little beast. We have a 2015 Outback, and it's the best vehicle we've owned (and I've owned far too many!)

The Matrix is also low to the ground -- I've have to replace various parts of the plastic "bumper" a couple of times because I parked too close to a high curb......... The Impreza is more in line with my budget, and it has a sun/moon roof -- one of my "gotta haves". Had one on my 10th Anniversary Edition Celica and loved it -- got to have another before I start pushing up daisies!

I'll take another look at the HR-V when the dealer gets the blue one in sometime this weekend, but "decision time" is here -- I'm not buying another set of tires for my old car!
post #28 of 163 Old 05-19-2015, 05:40 PM

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mozarks View Post

What year is your Matrix? How many miles does it have?
post #29 of 163 Old 05-19-2015, 06:06 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterct View Post
I'll have to point that out to my wife on the next HRV test drive. Her Soul has stuff everywhere. Sunglasses, little plastic animals, a whole closet full of "essential" things all stuck into the various cubbyholes all over the cockpit. It really does matter that you have spots to put his and her sunglasses, Kleenex, etc. Sometimes the little things become important things a month after you buy a car. Especially on longer trips, those cubbyholes are nice.

I've given the inaccessible ports some thought. I figure just put small USB extenders in there and let them droop out the side where you can get to them. I saw several 6" and 12" USB extenders at Best Buy.
Here is the cord kit for the HondaLink. It has the HDMI, USB, and phone charger cord, all in rather short lengths, which cuts back on cords all over the center console area. It is pricey, and may be something you could negotiate in your HR-V deal. It does however, solve your cord issues.

http://hondanavi.navigation.com/prod...US/HondaNA/USD
itowngirl likes this.
post #30 of 163 Old 05-19-2015, 06:11 PM

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
Here is the cord kit for the HondaLink. It has the HDMI, USB, and phone charger cord, all in rather short lengths, which cuts back on cords all over the center console area. It is pricey, and may be something you could negotiate in your HR-V deal. It does however, solve your cord issues.

http://hondanavi.navigation.com/prod...US/HondaNA/USD
Or just buy the HDMI adapter straight from apple: http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD...apter?fnode=45

and get whatever other cables you need (HDMI, Lightning) from Monoprice or Amazon (for Lightning cables I really like Anker).
ddemetra and itowngirl like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda HR-V Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page