User Tag List

11Likes

post #1 of 43 Old 05-25-2015, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
HRV Magic Seat: Will a bike fit?

Hello, this is my first post. I'm thinking about buying an HRV and am finding this forum to be a treasure trove of information!

Here's a pre-sales question I'm hoping a current HRV owner can answer, either from first hand experience or by using a tape measure to check.

With the Magic Seats folded up, can a bicycle be stored upright without taking off the front wheel? My understanding is that in the Fit the front bike wheel must be removed so I'm wondering if the HRV is wide enough to hold a bike as is.

For a point of reverence my bike is 44 inches tall, 68 inches long and 28 inches wide (that's the handlebar).

To me this would be a huge selling point for the HRV if someone could put up the Magic Seats, roll in their bike upright as is and then drive somewhere to do some biking. This would be so much easier than laying the bike flat in the cargo area or mounting a bike rack on the back.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can provide this info. I couldn't find back seat dimensions on Honda's website and none of my local dealers have HRV's right now so I can't measure for myself.

Also, I'll make sure to post my experiences as I begin the process of possibly buying an HRV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 05-25-2015, 07:44 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Red likes this.
post #3 of 43 Old 05-25-2015, 07:49 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
I just measured the width of the back seat area, at its widest (window to window) it's just under 60". Sorry!

post #4 of 43 Old 05-26-2015, 02:29 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Will it work in the CX3?
post #5 of 43 Old 05-26-2015, 02:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
HRV4ME and rustyonmaui like this.
post #6 of 43 Old 05-26-2015, 02:43 PM
Red

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Judging by Keiths picture laying it flat is your avenune, seems perfectly acceptable to me. Is there a reason why this isn't seen as 'easy'?
post #7 of 43 Old 05-26-2015, 04:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am hoping the HRV can carry my road bike upright with the front wheel off, as shown in the picture from Dammit. My road bike needs 36 inches in height to do this. By carrying the road bike upright, I have floor space for luggage etc. I am retired and love to travel around the country to ride. I prefer to keep the bike inside the vehicle. I have done this with larger vehicles (minivans). I can do it in my wife's 2014 CRV. I have friends who do it with Honda Elements.
I think I have seen that the HRV LX has more height in the cargo area than the EX. Can anyone confirm? Is there 36 inches of height?
post #8 of 43 Old 05-26-2015, 04:31 PM

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
I was also looking into this as well but after really thinking about it, with my quick release front wheel it helps with moving the bike in and out. Plus I need the space for boxes, bags, etc.
post #9 of 43 Old 05-26-2015, 05:19 PM

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstanley View Post
I am hoping the HRV can carry my road bike upright with the front wheel off, as shown in the picture from Dammit. My road bike needs 36 inches in height to do this. By carrying the road bike upright, I have floor space for luggage etc. I am retired and love to travel around the country to ride. I prefer to keep the bike inside the vehicle. I have done this with larger vehicles (minivans). I can do it in my wife's 2014 CRV. I have friends who do it with Honda Elements.
I think I have seen that the HRV LX has more height in the cargo area than the EX. Can anyone confirm? Is there 36 inches of height?
Per this release: http://www.honda.com/newsandviews/ar...spx?id=8466-en

"The tailgate opening dimensions are generous in size, allowing easy stowage of large or bulky items, including mountain bikes, which can be stored vertically with their front wheels removed. The opening width is 46.5 inches, with an opening height (from bottom tailgate sill to top sill) of 35.3 inches."

It looks like it should work. That's the rear opening. Inside the car there will be a bit more room. If you can slide it in at an angle, you should be fine.
post #10 of 43 Old 05-26-2015, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Judging by Keiths picture laying it flat is your avenune, seems perfectly acceptable to me. Is there a reason why this isn't seen as 'easy'?
Well I can do that in almost any hatchback or SUV. I was hoping the HRV had an extra advantage and I think opening the rear passenger door and rolling the bike in upright would be much easier and faster than lifting the bike over the tailgate and sliding it in on its side.

I'll have to check to see if my front wheel comes off easily. I'm not sure if it does.

Thank you to the person who measured window to window. At 60 inches wide I wonder if I could just turn my front bike wheel at an angle to make it fit?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda HR-V Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page