Indirect TPMS - Page 2 - Honda HR-V Forum
User Tag List

6Likes

post #11 of 32 Old 02-18-2016, 01:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Garage
For the HRv, I'm glad it is indirect. Nothing like having new tires or snow tires put on and the tire shop having to charge you an additional X amount due to needing new TPMS sensors.

White Orchid Pearl EX-L with Navigation
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 32 Old 02-18-2016, 07:24 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
My TPS went off the other day. Of course it was when the temperature was 10 degrees and 30 mph winds. My tires were between 22 and 30 psi. Unfortunately I can't see the symbol directly unless I tilt my head down which I have to do to see top of speedometer (50-90 mph). I added air and press reset button. No issues since. Much cheaper than other system and works.
post #13 of 32 Old 02-18-2016, 08:20 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ps1234 View Post
What I noticed was the exclamation point! They should save that for oh my god, you gotta pull over now....
It went on my first week of ownership, 200 miles from anywhere. Had to pull out the book to know what it was even for.
You don't know that it isn't an "oh my god, you gotta pull over now..." emergency until you pull over and check the tire pressures. Happened me a few weeks ago, after I pumped up during a cold snap, then the temperature went up 20°. I pulled over, checked the tire pressures, which were fine, and reset the TPMS warning. On the other hand, I could have had a flat tire.

post #14 of 32 Old 02-18-2016, 08:23 PM

Our 2009 Fit had the old-style TPMS, which uses battery-powered sensors in the valve stems. I put a piece of black vinyl tape over the light until the next tire change. I drove for 60 years without a TPMS, so I think I can survive a few more.
post #15 of 32 Old 06-15-2016, 11:05 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Question for those who may know. With the HR-V being an indirect TPMS, if I were to change the wheels on the car, not just the tires, all I will have to do is reset the TPMS when I install the new wheels and there should be an issues?
post #16 of 32 Old 06-15-2016, 11:19 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Garage
Never had one of these systems, but because it's based on rotational speed, then it shouldn't matter if you have wooden wagon wheels as long as they're all the same size.
Eight20109 likes this.

2016 HR-V EX 6MT - Purchased 4/14/16.

Behold: The Ninja Turtle
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #17 of 32 Old 06-15-2016, 04:02 PM

A half pound difference isn't enough to trigger a TPMS warning. 30 PSI, on the other hand, is about 10% low. Tire pressures should be checked at least monthly, more frequently spring and fall, when temperatures change.

My 2009 Fit had the old-style battery-powered TPMS valve stems. After about 5 years (at least) one of them failed. I put a piece of black plastic tape over the warning light. When the tires need to be replaced, the tire shop can test the sensors. I'm not saying that TPMS isn't useful, but I drove 50 years without TPMS sensors.

Last edited by Selden; 06-15-2016 at 09:31 PM.
post #18 of 32 Old 06-15-2016, 05:02 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Garage
Anyone have issues while in snow or gravel? My 1st Gen MINI Cooper S had the same type of system and it would be triggered if a tire broke loose for long periods of time. I haven't seen it yet in the HR-V......
post #19 of 32 Old 08-30-2016, 03:24 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Garage
I'm glad I found this post about the Indirect TPMS system on the Honda HR-V. I was driving back home on a long road trip and suffered a blowout. I put the donut on and found an NTB that was open on a Sunday. They replaced the blown tire but the service tech said there was no TPMS sensor in the rim. So I was concerned that something was missed at the factory but this post explained why there wasn't a sensor to be found. So I have a tire of the same size but by a different manufacturer. If I read your post right, this shouldn't be a problem for the Indirect TPMS system to monitor correctly.

In less enlightened times, the best way to impress women was to own a hot car. But women wised up and realized it was better to buy their own hot cars so they wouldn't have to ride around with jerks. - Scott Adams
post #20 of 32 Old 08-31-2016, 03:14 PM

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayscarver View Post
I'm glad I found this post about the Indirect TPMS system on the Honda HR-V. I was driving back home on a long road trip and suffered a blowout. I put the donut on and found an NTB that was open on a Sunday. They replaced the blown tire but the service tech said there was no TPMS sensor in the rim. So I was concerned that something was missed at the factory but this post explained why there wasn't a sensor to be found. So I have a tire of the same size but by a different manufacturer. If I read your post right, this shouldn't be a problem for the Indirect TPMS system to monitor correctly.
Sucks to hear about your blowout, but to answer your question, it won't be a problem that the tire is a different manufacturer.

White Orchid Pearl EX-L with Navigation

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda HR-V Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page