User Tag List

6Likes

post #1 of 32 Old 08-25-2015, 07:08 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Indirect TPMS

I thought this would warrant a new thread......a discussion of the TPMS system (Tire Pressure Monitoring System) on the HRV, which is not your traditional TPMS sensor installed in each tire.
It uses an "indirect" method of monitoring each tire.

Per owners manual:
Quote:
Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
Instead of directly measuring the pressure in each tire, the TPMS on this vehicle
monitors and compares the rolling radius and rotational characteristics of each
wheel and tire while you are driving to determine if one or more tires are
significantly under-inflated. This will cause the low tire pressure/TPMS indicator to
come on.

Here is some further information about this method of TPMS and advantages/disadvantages of this system:

INDIRECT TPMS: WHAT IS INDIRECT TPMS & HOW DOES IT WORK?
An indirect TPMS typically relies on wheel speed sensors that the anti-lock brake system uses. These sensors measure the rate of revolution each wheel is making and can be used by on-board computer systems to compare with each other and to other vehicle operation data such as speed.

Based on the rate of revolution of each wheel, the computer can interpret the relative size of the tires on your vehicle. When a wheel starts spinning faster than expected, the computer calculates that the tire is underinflated and alert the driver accordingly.

So, an indirect tire pressure monitoring system doesn’t actually measure tire pressure. It’s not electronically processing the same kind of measurement you might see with a tire gauge. Instead, an indirect tire pressure monitor simply measures how fast your tires are rotating and sends signals to the computer that will actuate the indicator light when something in the rotation seems amiss.

ADVANTAGES OF INDIRECT TPMS
  • Relatively inexpensive compared to a direct TPMS
  • Requires less programming/maintenance over the years than a direct TPMS
  • Less overall installation maintenance than its direct counterpart

DISADVANTAGES OF INDIRECT TPMS
  • May become inaccurate if you purchase a bigger or smaller tire
  • May be unreliable when tires are unevenly worn
  • Must be reset after properly inflating every tire
  • Must be reset after routine tire rotation

Source:
http://www.bridgestonetire.com/tread...how-tpms-works
Hayscarver and SCOUSEinOZ like this.

-Brian

2016 Honda HR-V EX AWD (White - Her's)
2016 Honda HR-V EX AWD (Silver - His)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by buerkletucson; 08-25-2015 at 07:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 08-25-2015, 07:33 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Thanks, that's great info. Guess I'll be checking the tires more often.

That was the thing on my road trip that had me talking to the service department on the phone. It went off 2ce, after someone had checked and reset the gauge on me.
The service department said, as long as there is air in the tires, you should be ok to get where you are going, and then get it to the dealer.

Why can't the symbol be a tire? That exclamation point is scary the first time it goes off!!!!
post #3 of 32 Old 08-25-2015, 08:37 AM
Sol

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Another disadvantage seems to be that if the car is parked (perhaps for a few days) and then one of the tires loses air, you will not be aware of it until you start driving. With the direct system you will know about it as soon as you start the car. I like the system on my Pilot that shows exactly which tire is low on air.

post #4 of 32 Old 08-25-2015, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol View Post
Another disadvantage seems to be that if the car is parked (perhaps for a few days) and then one of the tires loses air, you will not be aware of it until you start driving. With the direct system you will know about it as soon as you start the car. I like the system on my Pilot that shows exactly which tire is low on air.
Not exactly true...it depends on the system.

A lot of direct TPMS systems put the sensors in "sleep mode" when tires are not rotating to preserve battery life.
They don't "awake" until the vehicle hits a certain speed and then start reporting back data.

The HRV system is more simplistic.....good or bad.
I like that there are no batteries to die or sensors to get damaged during tire changes.
How reliable its alerts are, remains to be seen.

My BMW K1600 motorcycle has direct TPMS and I agree with you.......
It's nice to be able to read the actual tire pressures on the display.

-Brian

2016 Honda HR-V EX AWD (White - Her's)
2016 Honda HR-V EX AWD (Silver - His)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by buerkletucson; 08-25-2015 at 08:59 AM.
post #5 of 32 Old 08-25-2015, 01:35 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Unless we can get direct reading on all 4 tires. I prefer the indirect way better. It is simple. Just remember to hit the recalibrate button anytime the tires changed or rotated.

2016 EX AWD
post #6 of 32 Old 08-25-2015, 10:14 PM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ps1234 View Post
Why can't the symbol be a tire? That exclamation point is scary the first time it goes off!!!!
Folks keep asking why the symbol isn't a tire... isn't the symbol a cross-section looking from the front of a car of a low tire? Seems pretty obvious to me...
post #7 of 32 Old 08-25-2015, 10:22 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
What I noticed was the exclamation point! They should save that for oh my god, you gotta pull over now....
It went on my first week of ownership, 200 miles from anywhere. Had to pull out the book to know what it was even for.
post #8 of 32 Old 02-18-2016, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Garage
One huge advantage is you can use aftermarket wheels without the expense of purchasing sensors. Just make sure you re-set if you are using a different diameter wheel. This is great because I can use my 9th Gen Civic wheels on the HRV. I just need to change tires because HRV uses a different size.
post #9 of 32 Old 02-18-2016, 11:06 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ps1234 View Post
The symbol is a cross section of a tire, and almost every variation I have seen includes an exclamation point:

It would be nice if the instrument display indicated which tire is out of range, but I suspect that sort of feature is limited to higher end vehicles:

post #10 of 32 Old 02-18-2016, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Got to say the TPMS really freaked me out on my first long trip. Its late at night, this icon I have no idea about lights up in the middle of the dash and then I end up at a small garage in the middle of nowhere trying to find out what it means using a flashlight and the manual.

I ended up taking the car back to the garage when I got home. I also called Honda about it and had the only bad experience I've had since I bought the car. Guy on the phone from Honda was a real tool. 'You should have just reset it - if you work in IT that should have been easy for you!'. I tried to explain I thought it would be a really bad idea to reset a warning system when I had no idea why it was flagging an error. He just made it clear he thought I was an idiot.

Guys in the Honda garage were much better - they checked it out and found the problem. None of the tires were actually 'low' but one of the front tires was at 30psi and the other front one was at 30.5psi. Apparently the thing goes off if there is a difference between the tires on the two sides - not just if one of them is low.

Keith McC

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda HR-V Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page