User Tag List

27Likes

post #11 of 111 Old 03-04-2015, 08:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by O'Riley View Post
How do the bridgestone blizzak's handle ice on the road?
Tires make ALL the difference. Blizzaks are probably the top of the line when it comes to winter driving tires. Even all season tires pale in comparison. This is a video that I saw about a year ago where a bunch of car buffs got to test Austin Martin's on a frozen lake running Blizzaks. These are expensive, rear wheel drive cars, and they were able to run the lake like it was almost dry pavement.
http://www.astonmartin.com/en/events/on-ice

I can tell you I put all season tires on my BMW Z3 to tie me over until the HR-V is available, and I have been driving all winter in Colorado with no problems. The only thing that keeps me home is if the snow is too high and turns the car into a plow.

With AWD and good winter tires, you should be able to get through anything.

Last edited by Dammit; 03-04-2015 at 08:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 111 Old 03-14-2015, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
We have put a deposit on a Modern Steel EX-L with nav. We have also asked our dealer to order the optional rims. The factory tires will be put on the option wheels and Michelin X-Ice winter tires will be mounted on the factory rims. We have the Michelin X-Ice on our Pilot and they have performed wonderfully.
post #13 of 111 Old 03-18-2015, 11:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Run both of my cars on Hankook Ipike and they're great for Canadian winter.
My AWD Venza just rips through any snow, even my first gen Scion Xb was getting through any snow, while half the cars on the road were stuck or trying to get out of neighborhood that wasn't plowed yet.
One set that is 3 years old I swear looks like it's brand new, and I run them from end of Nov to mid Mar.
post #14 of 111 Old 03-20-2015, 05:50 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammit View Post
Tires make ALL the difference. Blizzaks are probably the top of the line when it comes to winter driving tires. Even all season tires pale in comparison. This is a video that I saw about a year ago where a bunch of car buffs got to test Austin Martin's on a frozen lake running Blizzaks. These are expensive, rear wheel drive cars, and they were able to run the lake like it was almost dry pavement.
http://www.astonmartin.com/en/events/on-ice

I can tell you I put all season tires on my BMW Z3 to tie me over until the HR-V is available, and I have been driving all winter in Colorado with no problems. The only thing that keeps me home is if the snow is too high and turns the car into a plow.

With AWD and good winter tires, you should be able to get through anything.
I disagree about Bridgestone ,oem tires on my CRV was Dueler by Bridgestone ,worn out 20K just bad bad. Michelin tires that's what I am happy about all season Defender very good ,winter Latitude cant complain second set already ,only one were better traction wise (not mileage) Good Year Nordic.
post #15 of 111 Old 05-14-2015, 12:11 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I currently have Toyo Observe GSI-5 for my 2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD and I love them. I live in northwestern Québec (Abitibi region), where you don't see the asphalt in town during 5 months of the year (i.e. packed snow/ice all over town). Love them for city and I do lots of travelling during the holidays too and they work great on the highway.

If I didn't have AWD and wasn't so cheap, I would probably go for Nokian, but am very satisfied with my GSIs, I'm pretty sure I'll be going with those with my future HR-V AWD next winter.

-Current: 2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD
post #16 of 111 Old 05-14-2015, 01:06 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asbertus View Post
I currently have Toyo Observe GSI-5 for my 2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD and I love them. I live in northwestern Québec (Abitibi region), where you don't see the asphalt in town during 5 months of the year (i.e. packed snow/ice all over town). Love them for city and I do lots of travelling during the holidays too and they work great on the highway.

If I didn't have AWD and wasn't so cheap, I would probably go for Nokian, but am very satisfied with my GSIs, I'm pretty sure I'll be going with those with my future HR-V AWD next winter.
I used to live in Val d'Or so I know the weather well! I'm now in Montreal but want the AWD for the snow storms here and my drives up north. And Winter Tire costs are adding to the purchase price. My wife is struggling with us buying a car that is +30k. We've had two civics so the thought of spending more is making me having to convince her...that's why I can't wait for a test drive.
post #17 of 111 Old 05-14-2015, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Also in Montreal here...I wonder if going to 16" on steelies is doable for the winter?
post #18 of 111 Old 05-14-2015, 07:21 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I did this on my Vibe, have 16in all-seasons and 15in steelies for winter, turned out a bit cheaper this way.

-Current: 2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD
post #19 of 111 Old 05-16-2015, 03:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a set of 15" steelies for my hopefully soon to be sold '08 Civic and am hoping for confirmation that they'll work. TireRack didn't know as they'd not had a chance to get their hands on the HR-V yet.
post #20 of 111 Old 05-16-2015, 04:15 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
I have had great results on Bridgestone Blizzaks. One storm in particular was just terrible. The roads were solid ice for miles. I wondered why there was so little traffic on the road, granted it was brutal, many cars and trucks in the ditch. When I got home I found out the road I had just traveled was closed due to the extreme conditions. The Blizzaks performed admirably. They grip the ice extremely well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda HR-V Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page