2Likes
  • 2 Post By ddemetra

post #1 of 2 Old 11-13-2015, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Winter Tires

Hey guys, I got a Black AWD LX HRV and they came with 215 55r17s on them as all of you are aware. I picked up a set of used blizzaks 90% tread left on them on good condition steel rims for $500. The winters I got were 215 55R17s as well, I have not yet put them on.
After doing a little more research it seems as everyone is putting on 215 60R16s for winter tires and that is what honda recommends? Will the tires I bought not work? I just assumed I would buy the same size as my summers.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 11-13-2015, 12:00 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Going to a 16 inch rims, and skinnier tires can help in 2 ways.

1. Price
16" rims, and tires cost less.

2. Performance
The skinnier tires can perform better in some snow/ice, and are more fuel efficient.

Sounds like you got a great price, so you've negated the first reason, and the second reason won't make that much difference to worry about.

https://www.kaltire.com/what-is-minus-sizing/

Minus sizing helps you optimize performance for our winter season.

Original Equipment tire and wheel sizes have become larger and wider for better looks and performance in the last few years. Unfortunately these new performance based packages are not ideal for winter driving. So if you’re likely to drive your vehicle in the snow during winter, you’ll want tires and wheels in sizes that help put the laws of physics on your side by “minus” sizing.
What is Minus Sizing

Minus sizing means using smaller diameter wheels with narrower, higher profile tires (but still maintaining your vehicles original equipment needs). By doing so, better deep snow traction is achieved, and can also result in great savings on Winter Tire & Wheel Packages. In addition, higher profile tire sizes feature taller sidewalls and smaller diameter wheels that resist damages associated with winter road hazards.
Benefits of Minus Sizing
  • Cost Efficiency
  • Deep snow Traction
Minus sizing packages can be created through our Web Store when you search by vehicle type. the cost of minus sized Winter Tire & Wheel Packages are usually lower than a package maintaining your vehicle’s original equipment sizing.
alleycat8675309 and Nancy like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda HR-V Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page