Adjust Your Tire Pressure for Winter - Honda HR-V Forum
User Tag List

post #1 of 8 Old 12-12-2016, 12:07 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Adjust Your Tire Pressure for Winter

It has been unseasonably warm, but some of us are getting an Arctic blast this week. Your TPM might go off, if you haven't checked them for awhile.

2016 EX AWD

Last edited by Einz; 12-13-2016 at 04:02 AM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-12-2016, 07:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Garage
Good point! I know most people don't check their tire pressure regularly, or even at all. But the difference in pressure from a 90 degree day to a 25 degree day can set off the warning. Especially if the pressures are a little low to begin with.

What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you!
post #3 of 8 Old 12-12-2016, 07:34 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Good point indeed. My other car Owner's Manual has this statement:

In accordance with physical principles, the air
pressure changes as the temperature changes.
The tire pressure increases or decreases by
around 1.5 psi (0.1 bar) for every 18 °F (10 °C)
change in temperature.

Car has the "traditional" TPM system with sensors in each tire.

post #4 of 8 Old 12-12-2016, 10:00 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Garage
My wife's Fiesta looked low over the weekend, checked and the front tires were 27PSI!

Good reminder for all

2016 HR-V EX 6MT - Purchased 4/14/16.

Behold: The Ninja Turtle
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 Old 12-12-2016, 12:34 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Now I thought this would be an easy one.
My winter bicycle tires that have carbide studs show psi 45-65 summer, 30-45 winter.
So my assumption was best to reduce your psi in the winter, to increase the area with traction.

But after googling a little, it seems it's not a well established rule, and some people recommend either way.

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...-for-Icy-Roads

http://www.seattlepi.com/news/articl...on-1202619.php

Interesting, I simply allow the natural lowering of temp to decrease my pressure, to get a little extra traction.
But now I'm not so sure.

post #6 of 8 Old 12-12-2016, 01:10 PM

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Garage
Just as a comparison, on my Jetta which I don't drive all that much, we got a cold snap here in Colorado and when I did go drive it, the TPMS sensor went off. I checked the PSI and all 4 tires were at 26psi when they are normally at 36psi.

White Orchid Pearl EX-L with Navigation
post #7 of 8 Old 12-13-2016, 09:13 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddemetra View Post
Now I thought this would be an easy one.
My winter bicycle tires that have carbide studs show psi 45-65 summer, 30-45 winter.
So my assumption was best to reduce your psi in the winter, to increase the area with traction.

But after googling a little, it seems it's not a well established rule, and some people recommend either way.

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...-for-Icy-Roads

http://www.seattlepi.com/news/articl...on-1202619.php

Interesting, I simply allow the natural lowering of temp to decrease my pressure, to get a little extra traction.
But now I'm not so sure.
I'll admit to not reading the links you posted, but my assumption has always been this:
-Ice: lower pressure to get more surface area
-Snow: higher pressure to cut through the snow and find hard ground below

Although on my mountain bike I've always gone "lower is better" for grip in any situation. Maybe I should try high pressure in deep mud to see if they cut through.

2016 HR-V EX 6MT - Purchased 4/14/16.

Behold: The Ninja Turtle

post #8 of 8 Old 12-14-2016, 03:53 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Tyre pressures adjustable at the touch of a selector button would be ideal. Higher for rain and snow to penetrate to the surface below, softer for very high temperatures to avoid excessive pressure buildup and also for mud, sand and ice to spread the load for better grip. If only!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda HR-V Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page