Which phones will actually send and receive text messages? - Honda HR-V Forum
User Tag List

9Likes

post #1 of 37 Old 06-10-2015, 10:20 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Which phones will actually send and receive text messages?

I found out my iPhone won't send or receive text/emails and after trying several different combinations of carrier, phone and model at http://automobiles.honda.com/handsfreelink/ I didn't see any that were compatible at the present time to do all that is advertised that it's supposed to do. Has anybody found a phone that is fully compatible?
S Gandy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 06-10-2015, 10:28 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
My android (note 4) works somewhat. It reads incoming messages to me and I can reply with a few preset messages.
Frankie likes this.
post #3 of 37 Old 06-10-2015, 10:31 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Looking at the link you sent, I'm saying their list is outdated.

post #4 of 37 Old 06-10-2015, 10:31 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Interesting... what model iPhone, and which HR-V trim? I think all the functionality is supposed to be available on iPhone 5 or later. Also think I saw the text send / receive feature is only on the EX-L (like the voice commands).

However, I think you should be able to use Siri hands-free to do the same thing...?
matthew likes this.
post #5 of 37 Old 06-10-2015, 10:48 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I have an iPhone 4 but also entered the iPhone 6 into the Honda handsfreelink and that apparently can't send and receive texts either. I haven't gotten around to experimenting with the Siri hands free stuff yet. Only taken an incoming phone call so far and that worked well. I have the EX-L navi.
post #6 of 37 Old 06-10-2015, 10:57 PM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aatx View Post
My android (note 4) works somewhat. It reads incoming messages to me and I can reply with a few preset messages.
My Android Galaxy S5 works like aatx's - reads incoming and I can reply with a few preset messages.. But - our other phone - exact same phone - doesn't even read txt messages, even though the first time it got one, the phone got the "is this okay" message and I said yes, but it still doesn't work. Any ideas?
post #7 of 37 Old 06-11-2015, 02:51 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
I have sent txt using steering wheel control and voice command with my iPhone 5s. Also read txt (read 'all' which was fortunately a short stream). Need to play with this more to best use while driving.
post #8 of 37 Old 06-11-2015, 05:10 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
My Samsung Galaxy S4 can read text. I have a EX-L.
post #9 of 37 Old 06-11-2015, 06:45 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I was able to get my iPhone 6 to receive messages in an EX on a test drive. They would come up on the screen as "new mail" which I thought at first was an email, but turned out to be the text messages. I don't know exactly what I did to get it to work. I messed with a lot of the settings. I know on the phone you have to have "Show Notifications" turned on in your Bluetooth link to the car. The salesman didn't know how to do it either and thought you couldn't receive texts with an iPhone. He was pretty surprised when I did it and said he was going to have to get one of the techie guys there to figure out what the exact sequence of settings is now that they know it can be done. Anyway, I'm still waiting for them to get me a blue EX-L with Nav, so that was my only experience with connecting the phone.
post #10 of 37 Old 06-11-2015, 06:57 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
And as far as sending texts, hold the car's phone button down for a few seconds until you hear the Siri beeps. Then just dictate a text message via Siri.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda HR-V Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page