User Tag List

8Likes

post #11 of 20 Old 11-23-2015, 06:43 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecdn View Post
If someone was able to get into the car (planning on locking with the key) would they be able to drive the car without the key fob in the vehicle?
That's an interesting question. I just started my HR-V, exited without locking the door, placed the fob ~20 feet away, put it in gear, and was able to drive away. Repeated, but with locking the door with the key, unable to unlock the door without the key or fob.

It's still a stupid idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 Old 11-23-2015, 06:54 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Yes, you can drive indefinitely without the key, or at least until you shut it off. My wife and I swapped cars one afternoon and she drove off with the key and I had to call her and chase her down to get my key back lol.
post #13 of 20 Old 03-18-2016, 12:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey Guys and Ladies,
im Juan, first post here after a few months reading and learning about HRV's
i finally got one for my wife 3 weeks ago,
and if you guys want to learn how to lock the car while is running you can do as i have done with my pilot before when i left my teenage daughter inside while running inside a store or such,

>>>> Lower driver side window,>close door>Press lock doors > press auto window Up > Done.

Then make sure you take the FOB with you and open the door with the key.

i hope this helps some of you!!

post #14 of 20 Old 03-18-2016, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Folks while I completely understand why you'd want to do this, and it makes sense to not have wear and tear on the vehicle, please DON'T. I work for the local police dept and it would AMAZE you the number of "I just left the vehicle running while I ran into the store and now its gone!" calls I take in a single day. Yes you might deter someone by locking the doors, but its no sweat off their back to smash your window real quick and take the car. Our cars do not have a safety mechanism that shuts the motor off when the fob gets so far away from the vehicle. Save yourself the heartache of having your car wrecked out 3 miles down the road or disappearing forever and just shut your car off.
Saiko, Selden and dlwelch68 like this.
post #15 of 20 Old 03-18-2016, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeRoV View Post
Folks while I completely understand why you'd want to do this, and it makes sense to not have wear and tear on the vehicle, please DON'T. I work for the local police dept and it would AMAZE you the number of "I just left the vehicle running while I ran into the store and now its gone!" calls I take in a single day. Yes you might deter someone by locking the doors, but its no sweat off their back to smash your window real quick and take the car. Our cars do not have a safety mechanism that shuts the motor off when the fob gets so far away from the vehicle. Save yourself the heartache of having your car wrecked out 3 miles down the road or disappearing forever and just shut your car off.
No.
post #16 of 20 Old 03-18-2016, 06:56 PM
Banned

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcleonti View Post
How can I get out of my car and lock the doors but leave the engine running, say if I'm running into a convenience store or something like that?
What?! Where is my car?!??!? Oh yea...........
post #17 of 20 Old 08-08-2016, 11:30 AM

Unhappy keys getting locked in car

I have had several honda's. Well, I walked up to my hatch, it unlocked I put my purse in there because I had a car load of people, closed the hatch. Went to get in and all doors were locked. Went back to hatch and it was locked..........yes keys locked in car!!!! How is this possible?? I thought this was one of Honda's great features. I later tested the doors and they won't let you lock the keys in...........is this a manufacture mistake or is my car not working properly? HELP
post #18 of 20 Old 08-08-2016, 11:53 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Garage
I don't think it will lock if you're in the front seats, but haven't tried with it in the hatch. Maybe they don't have sensors back there?

Might have to experiment when I get home...would be good to know. How did you get in?

2016 HR-V EX 6MT - Purchased 4/14/16.

Behold: The Ninja Turtle
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #19 of 20 Old 03-01-2017, 08:01 AM

yes, me and my fiance tested this. He was able to drive as long as he wanted without the fob. You just arent able to restart it after you turn it off.
post #20 of 20 Old 03-07-2017, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funnone View Post
So I have been fooling around on how to lock the doors of my 2016 Honda HR-v and leave the car running while I am not in the car.
(this is so that I can let the car warm up on a cold winter's day)

Step one: get in the car with the key fob put my foot on the brake and start the car.
Step two: exit the car with key fob in hand and close all doors.
(the car will beep letting me know that there is no key present)

Step three: remove the physical key from the key fob and lock the door using the key via the door handle.

All of the doors will now be locked with the car running
( this trick will disable the key fob so you have to use the physical to unlock the door to gain access to the vehicle)

I hope this helps someone.
Ohmygoodness FUNONE,

You, sir, are brilliant. I just bought a black on black 2016 CRV-EXL and I need to be able to lock the doors while the car is running here in Las Vegas, NV. It is INSANE turning a car on and off while running errands in 105-115 degree heat. I just went out and tested your suggestion and it worked perfectly. Now this summer will be bearable.

Thank you, thank you!
Phalkon30 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda HR-V Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page