User Tag List

8Likes

post #1 of 20 Old 08-05-2015, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
lock doors from outside while car running

How can I get out of my car and lock the doors but leave the engine running, say if I'm running into a convenience store or something like that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 08-06-2015, 10:20 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Garage
Is this a model with the keyless start? If so, can you take the fob with you and lock the car from the outside? I have never tried as I don't know why I would leave the car running and using gas, but that is just me...not judging anyone else.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 Old 08-06-2015, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
I don't think it's possible... If you have the key fob, once you get out of the car, it knows. After you step 5-10 feet away it will beep at you until you move closer. I haven't tried walking completely away to see what would happen if I really went out of range. The engine should, in theory, shut down.

post #4 of 20 Old 08-06-2015, 11:30 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew View Post
I don't think it's possible... If you have the key fob, once you get out of the car, it knows. After you step 5-10 feet away it will beep at you until you move closer. I haven't tried walking completely away to see what would happen if I really went out of range. The engine should, in theory, shut down.
No, it doesn't shut down. It just beeps a few times. You would theoretically be able to drive off - just not start the vehicle again if you stopped it without the fob. Plenty of times when my husband's been driving, we've stopped and he's run into a store with the fob in his pocket while I waited in the car. It even beeps at me when I stop and get out and walk to the mail box about 15 feet away.
matthew likes this.

HR-V EX CVT FWD in Modern Steel Metallic
Took possession 5/28/15.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 20 Old 08-06-2015, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
All the comments are correct. I want to run into 7-Eleven for sixty seconds and leave the car running, but I don't like leaving the car unsecured. Also, it doesn't make sense to turn it off then restart it sixty seconds later. It's honestly more economical and less wear and tear on the starter and other components to just leave the vehicle running. And in the middle of the summer/winter, it is nice to leave the AC/heater running. I just want to lock the doors. I have a remote start, but for some reason I can't figure out, when I use the remote start the car turns itself off when I open the door. Equally as frustrating, and completely negates many of the benefits of leaving it running in the first place.
post #6 of 20 Old 10-14-2015, 07:18 PM

So I have been fooling around on how to lock the doors of my 2016 Honda HR-v and leave the car running while I am not in the car.
(this is so that I can let the car warm up on a cold winter's day)

Step one: get in the car with the key fob put my foot on the brake and start the car.
Step two: exit the car with key fob in hand and close all doors.
(the car will beep letting me know that there is no key present)

Step three: remove the physical key from the key fob and lock the door using the key via the door handle.

All of the doors will now be locked with the car running
( this trick will disable the key fob so you have to use the physical to unlock the door to gain access to the vehicle)

I hope this helps someone.
lastrecidivist and mikecdn like this.
post #7 of 20 Old 10-16-2015, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
This was super helpful. Thanks!
sweptwing80 likes this.
post #8 of 20 Old 11-09-2015, 02:08 AM

I tried this and unfortunately it's working on my hrv 2016. Help me.
post #9 of 20 Old 11-09-2015, 02:35 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
What do you need help with? Getting back in the car?
post #10 of 20 Old 11-23-2015, 05:08 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
If someone was able to get into the car (planning on locking with the key) would they be able to drive the car without the key fob in the vehicle?

MikeCdn

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda HR-V Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page