Since there isn’t a write-up yet on this mod, I figured I’d post my experience having done this the other day.
First off, I ordered a set of these from jdmyamato.com. They actually have many postings on eBay under the name “jdm_enjoy_shoppin” for JDM parts (quite a few for the Vezel also) but it’s much cheaper to order directly from their webstore. Let me say that they are very quick to respond to questions, and very helpful. The transaction was smooth and my tail lights shipped via EMS from Japan the day after I placed my order. I received them in about 5 days, and they did one **** of a packing job. Extremely professional and you can tell they take pride in what they do.
The initial worry about the swap was the wiring of the inner tail lights. Wiring up a work around is certainly do-able but I didn’t want to have to Macgyver a wiring harness. Before purchasing, I talked to JDM Yamato about the factory harness connector and asked if they could source them for me. Luckily, he had them on hand and happily offered to include them free of charge to me. I had some idea of what part I needed if this fell through, but this was great news.
A short time later I received the box. It was huge, and I guess I should have expected that.
They did a great job packing everything and making sure nothing would get damaged. Boxes were repacked with padding and the lights themselves were wrapped in layers of bubble wrap. I was very impressed.
The lights themselves…
The stock connectors and pigtails that were included…
So the first thing I did after disconnecting the negative terminal from the battery, is remove the plastic cladding from the rear hatch. The top panel comes off first, then the sides, and finally the big back panel that protects the lights and wiper assembly. All of these panels are held in simply by clips, so a few decent tugs in strategic spots should pull these free from the body panels without much drama.
The inner tail lights are held in place by 4 bolts. Not much to say here, pretty straight forward getting them in and out.
The pigtails that were sent to me were not long enough to reach the license plate light harness that I wanted to tap into for power, so I simply soldered on extensions with 16 gauge wire that I had on hand for auto wiring. I unwrapped the harness for the license plate lights, and found two wires, a grey wire for power, and a black wire for ground. I tapped into these respectively using 3M Scotchlok 804 taps that come prefilled with dielectric grease. I tapped the left license plate light harness for the driver’s side light and the right light harness for the passenger side light.
After I had everything wired up, I simply cleaned everything up with wire loom and zip tied the additional wires in place.
The outer lights are a direct swap. Unbolt two screws, and simply pull out the light. The harness has a weird connector that looks like it uses a push tab to release it, but it doesn’t. Simply squeeze the sides of the connector to clear the tab from its notch and pull it out gently. The JDM lights plug right in.
Plastic panels install in reverse fashion. Bottom, sides, then top.
Parking lights on:
Brake lights on:
The results speak for themselves. I’m very happy with the swap. The turn signals lenses are also totally clear, without the slight tint that the USDM lights have. A nice touch. I used VLEDS Triton V3 LED amber turn signals to preserve the clear look of the lens.