Samsung Galaxy S6, Mirrorlink and the HR-V - Honda HR-V Forum
User Tag List

post #1 of 23 Old 03-23-2016, 11:15 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Samsung Galaxy S6, Mirrorlink and the HR-V

Has anyone had any luck connecting their Samsung Galaxy S6 (or any Android phone) to their car using Mirrorlink?

From what I've researched the 2016 HR-V is using Mirrorlink 1.1, which the Galaxy S6 uses as well. The S6 does not support the MHL standard so connecting it through HDMI is out of the question.

When I connect it using USB my phone screen briefly shows a message saying it's connected to my car, and then the screen goes black. I can tap the screen to see the message again but then it goes black again. On the car screen I see the 2 arrows on the right of the screen. When I press them, it shows a message saying it's connected but then shortly after says "smartphone not compatible".

The 2 Mirrorlink compatible apps I have on my phone are RockScout (for Spotify) and Sygic car navigation. If I load RockScout and then plug the USB cable in, the Spotify button activates and I can press it and start to navigate through Spotify before my screen goes black. So it's definitely recognizing that it's connected to a Mirrorlink compatible device, i.e my HR-V.

Also, please save yourself the trouble of telling me I should have researched this before buying the car. I did research it, I was aware of the large probability that I would only be able to use my phone for Bluetooth calling and audio streaming. Everything else about the car I love, and this 1 issue wasn't enough to deter me from purchasing it.

For the moment I'm going to resign myself to purchase a phone mount and use my phone for navigation, and begin further research into a replacement HU. The Pioneer AVH-4100NEX is looking particularly enticing. Anyway, just thought I would ask to see if anyone has had any luck with Android.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 03-24-2016, 03:14 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
I don't have an S6, but both my Note 4 and S7 Edge connect to Mirrorlink fine. Both Rockscout and Sygic are working without error. Like yours, the screen on both of my devices go black and become unresponsive once Mirrorlink is connected. Vanilla Music also works with Rockscout just fine. Samsung Car Mode for Galaxy is pretty much a fail tho, because the display will no longer work once the car is in motion. Basically all I have to do is unlock the phone, plug the USB in, and after a moment both phones will connect to Mirrorlink and the apps become available on the app screen on the head unit.
post #3 of 23 Old 03-24-2016, 10:15 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
the hrv uses mirrorlink 1.0 and galaxy s6 is mirrorlink 1.1... NOT backwards compatible. way to blow it on this one, Honda. I have tried every connector/connection method with my s6. I can't even get track names to show on HU using spotify via bluetooth. Shows up fine from my tablet and other phones. Cheapest option to get a fully function HU is to suck it up and buy an iPhone. Old phones work great but they can't be too old. Technology that came out when this car did is too advanced (go figure) and Honda doesn't seem to be budging on building an update for their radios.

post #4 of 23 Old 03-24-2016, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slippyturtle View Post
S7 Edge connect to Mirrorlink fine.
Your S7 connects just fine?! That's heartening to hear at least from the perspective of I could potentially upgrade to the S7, though the money saver in me cringes at the thought of upgrading my phone so soon, though the cost would be similar to purchasing a new HU.
post #5 of 23 Old 03-24-2016, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by c.lemay117 View Post
the hrv uses mirrorlink 1.0 and galaxy s6 is mirrorlink 1.1... NOT backwards compatible. way to blow it on this one, Honda. I have tried every connector/connection method with my s6. I can't even get track names to show on HU using spotify via bluetooth. Shows up fine from my tablet and other phones. Cheapest option to get a fully function HU is to suck it up and buy an iPhone. ...and Honda doesn't seem to be budging on building an update for their radios.
Do you have any sources to indicate the HRV uses Mirrorlink 1.0? If I can confirm that, I could potentially look at downgrading Mirrorlink on my S6 and testing it again. I really thought it was using Mirrorlink 1.1 though.

I have the same issue with Spotify that you do. I've confirmed that I have RDS turned on, and FM/AM radio displays the track information so I know that works. I have some friends coming over tomorrow who have different phones so I'll have them test to see if they're successful.

I really don't want to switch to iPhone, I've been an Android user since day one and I'm fully integrated into the Google environment. If my S6 is doomed to just not work, then so be it I'll either get a new HU, new Android phone (apparently the S7 works), or live with it.

I'm still holding out hope that Honda will be providing an update at some point. I've seen some tweets by Honda posted on this forum, and others that imply they may be providing an update, but they could also be referring to their upcoming 2017 and beyond line up.
post #6 of 23 Old 03-24-2016, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerplar View Post
Your S7 connects just fine?! That's heartening to hear at least from the perspective of I could potentially upgrade to the S7, though the money saver in me cringes at the thought of upgrading my phone so soon, though the cost would be similar to purchasing a new HU.
Yep. That's what's so weird about this situation... I have two phones, one a generation behind, and the other a generation ahead of your S6, and they both work fine without issue. The only bummer about my S7 Edge is the lack of MHL for HDMI mirroring.

The only real problem I have is the lack of intended functionality of the Car Mode for Galaxy app through Mirrorlink. That was one of the reasons I upgraded from my Note 4, thinking it was supposed to work like Samsung's version of Android Auto/Apple Carplay.
post #7 of 23 Old 03-24-2016, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Yeah I think Samsung's car mode is only intended to work on the phone and not actually mirror to your screen, I've gone ahead and uninstalled it already as it's pretty much useless to me.

Samsung dropping MHL support starting in the S6 phone is a plain old money grab. They want you to use the screen mirroring function and purchase Samsung smart TVs and adapters.

I've emailed my dealer to ask if they can provide any documentation on the Mirrorlink version the HR-V uses as I can't find any information online on whether it uses 1.0 or 1.1. I had thought it would use the 1.1 version, but it's possible I was mistaken.
post #8 of 23 Old 03-24-2016, 03:41 PM

Car Mode mirrors to the screen just fine, and it's touch interactive as intended. It's just that the display goes blank when the car is out of park, just as it would if you were playing video through HDMI. If you disabled that parking brake safety feature, it would actually work fine I suppose. Honestly the whole Mirrorlink thing is more of a pain in the rear than it's worth. I paid for the premium version of Sygic, and the map for my area isn't fully updated, so 9 out of 10 times I'll just use the phone itself as a display for navigation (with a car mount above the head unit) with Google Maps if I need it and stream audio for turn by turn directions through bluetooth. Kinda makes me kick myself in the butt over the waste of $79 lol.
post #9 of 23 Old 03-24-2016, 04:37 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slippyturtle View Post
Car Mode mirrors to the screen just fine, and it's touch interactive as intended. It's just that the display goes blank when the car is out of park, just as it would if you were playing video through HDMI. If you disabled that parking brake safety feature, it would actually work fine I suppose.
I did not realize Samsungs car mode would display to the screen, I assume it's done through Mirrorlink then.

I've done a lot of research into getting the screen to stay on, and there's apparently a way to do it by going into the diagnostic menu. I can't recall the steps right now, but I have the forum posts saved that described it. Kind of a moot point for me though, as I don't have a phone capable of displaying to the screen anyways.
post #10 of 23 Old 03-24-2016, 07:08 PM

Ya it's supposed to work properly through Mirrorlink. Unfortunately according to Samsung, full functionality is only available for this on some Volkswagens at this time. Sorry about your S6 tho, that's really weird that it doesn't work. But to put your mind at ease, you're not missing out on a whole lot lol. I was really looking forward to the feature too, until I used it a few times.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda HR-V Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page