JDM Vezel LED projector headlights + JDM LED projector fog lights installed - Honda HR-V Forum
User Tag List

1Likes

post #1 of 22 Old 03-31-2016, 08:23 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
JDM Vezel LED projector headlights + JDM LED projector fog lights installed

DISCLAIMER: This modification requires practical knowledge of wiring methods which may include the use of electrical connectors and/or soldering, and also the understanding of the basics of electrical current in an automobile. Done improperly, this type of modification can and may cause damage to your vehicle. This post is not a HOW-TO guide, it is simply an explanation of the method I myself used to modify my own vehicle. USE THE INFORMATION PROVIDED AT YOUR OWN RISK.

When I first bought my car, one of the main gripes I had was the lack of a better headlight option in US-spec Honda HR-V’s. I got by with LED H4 bulb upgrades, first a set from OPT7 that did not meet my standards for proper beam pattern (although OPT7 did have amazing customer service), and then a Japan-spec set from Philips that I purchased from xenondepot.com that is excellent, and which I would otherwise recommend to anyone who is looking for an upgrade from Halogen.

There was some talk on the forum about the swap being nearly impossible to do, and a very expensive endeavor at that even if so. I resigned myself to accepting that the H4 LED’s would have to do.

A few months ago, fellow forum member “g0zigen” posted that he had successfully completed the swap, and posted pictures and answered questions about how he had accomplished the feat. After taking a look at what the wiring required, I understood that the modification could be done with relative ease, and I credit g0zigen with some of the info I used to complete my project. I marked this as a must-do project and tabled this for later. In the meantime, I sourced a set of new Vezel Hybrid LED tube tail lights from a company called “JDM Yamato” which specializes in export of J-spec auto parts, both new and used. g0zigen had also gotten his headlights from them and had only good things to say about them… my purchase of tail lights from JDM Yamato was an equally pleasurable experience.

Having completed the tail light installation, the front of the car looked sorely in need of an upgrade. Unfortunately for my pocketbook, JDM Yamato recently added a plethora of newly released accessories for the Honda Vezel/HRV… which included the LED fog lights (http://tinyurl.com/jnlf4fs) I will be installing in this review. After talking back and forth with them for a bit to get more info and pictures of these lights, I decided to jump the gun and order both a set of LED headlights and the new fog lights!

My second experience purchasing through JDM Yamato has been just as awesome as the first. They are EXTREMELY professional and eager to answer any questions I had about the products themselves, about how the wiring worked, and what type of connectors I would need. They went out of their way to provide to me, in addition to the lights, any additional wire pigtails and connectors that I could not get myself, at no extra charge as part of their service. Their responses are quick, and they have additional photos and wiring diagrams that they are able to provide to make sure that you have everything you need to get the swap done. Packages are shipped from Japan via EMS, which took roughly 4 days to get here in Honolulu. JDM Yamato takes pride in their product and my headlights, although used, were spotless and in perfect condition. They did an overwhelmingly good job of packaging and protecting both my fog lights and headlights, so that no damage would incur in transit from Japan to my door. I have total confidence in making purchases from them. They are extremely efficient and professional.

Large boxes packed very well. Everything is opened and bubble wrapped prior to packing, including new items.

They sent this cute note and origami chopstick holder with my last order, and they sent them again this time. They include this as a nice gesture… very neat!

JDM Vezel LED fog lights:

JDM Vezel LED head lights:

Prior to taking on this project, I made sure to research everything I’d need to do the installation as factory-like as possible. I wanted clean organized wiring, and factory connections. I also didn't want to alter the stock wiring. Of course, being that US-spec HR-V’s only come wired for H4 headlights, where the H4 connector controls high beam, low beam, and DRL, this presented a slight challenge. I mapped a plan to make my own custom wiring harness utilizing the following (which can all be sourced from eBay):

2x H4/9003 male pigtail wire harness connectors (to adapt to the stock wiring harness)
2x HB3 9006/9005 female connector adapters w/pigtails (for the high beam bulb connection)
2x 7440 T20 male adapter harness connectors (for the turn signal beam connection)

JDM Yamato was kind enough to provide me with the LED low/DRL connector and pigtails, and the female connector for the turn signals (and pigtails):

Our stock H4 wiring harness enables our DRL function by turning on the high beam at a lower voltage. This cannot be incorporated to power the LED DRL function on the JDM headlights. To power these, I faced two options:

1) Power the DRL using the side marker T10 connector. With the JDM headlights, these will be unused anyway (there’s no parking light bulb on the JDM headlights) and it’s easy enough to do, but this means that the DRL will not function automatically. They will ONLY turn on once the parking light or head light is activated. If I wired them this way I’d have to turn the parking lights on manually every time and forgo the auto-headlight option. Also, g0zigen stated that he noticed that the DRL was not at full brightness with just the parking lights on using this method.

2) Use an external control unit to operate the DRL. The control unit is hooked up to the battery or AC power and turns the DRL on when the car is started, and powers off when the car is turned off. The benefit of this is that the DRL functions as it would have from the factory, without having to be manually turned on. The downside is that it’s one more thing that needs to be installed.

I happened to have a set of Philips Daylight 8 DRL LED lights sitting around from another car. I decided to use the harness from that kit to power the DRL LED on the new headlights. There are universal DRL control units sold cheaply on eBay that will serve the same function.

The main headlight connector on the Vezel lights consists of a multi-wire plug that connects to 5 wires. 4 of these wires are used for low beam 12v, low beam negative, DRL 12v, DRL negative, and a 5th wire that connects to a control unit on the J-spec Vezel that US-spec cars don't have. I connected just the 4 necessary pigtails to the connector and left the last one empty. JDM Yamato provided a wiring guide for this connector that was easy to follow (credit to JDM Yamato for the following diagrams):

With all of this in hand, I soldered up a custom wiring harness that connects low beam 12v and ground from the headlight connector and high beam 12v and ground from the HB3 9006/9005 connector to the H4 male adapter. On the H4 male adapter I purchased, blue = high beam, red = low beam, black = ground. Refer to the picture I posted further back. Low beam and high beam share a common ground on the H4 connector, so they must be combined and soldered together and joined with the ground on the adapter.

For the DRL, I cut off the LED bars from the Philips Daylight 8 kit, and soldered on the wire harness I salvaged from them while matching DRL 12v and ground from the headlight connector. These will be plugged into the Philips Daylight 8 DRL control unit that I installed separately in the car. For the turn signal, two pigtails plug into the provided connector from JDM Yamato and connect to the plug socket for the 7440 bulb. These were soldered to the wires from the T20 7440 male adapter. Polarity doesn’t matter. The 7440 connector has only the input for the turn signal 12v, so the parking light always on function of the stock turn signal will not be retained when using the adapter.

One of my wire harnesses, before installation and looming up:

Once I had the harnesses made, I went about the process of taking off the bumper and physically swapping the headlights. I’ve taken off the bumper once before with a friend to install my front lower bumper trim, and it’s much easier to have a buddy there to help hold one side of the bumper when taking it off and putting it on. I did it this time by myself (I was doing the install at 1 am, yes I’m crazy), and it’s was a little bit harder trying not to damage anything. It’s doable with one, but I recommend having a buddy around. I won’t bother doing a play by play on how I took the bumper off. College Hills Honda is gracious enough to provide instructions in pdf form on their website: http://www.collegehillshonda.com/ins.../foglights.pdf

This also includes instructions on how to install the fog lights, which I will refer to later.

Once the bumper is off, the headlights are bolted on at 4 points. I forgot to photo document pictures of them (it was late and I was tired!), but the connections are plainly obvious. Once they are unbolted, the headlights will take a little effort to remove because of the retaining tabs on the top and side that you will have to wiggle free… a couple on the top where the light housing meets the fender, one on the top mounting tab, and one on the side mounting tab that is slightly tricky. I had to resist the urge to Godzilla the stock headlights off at this point, but a little give and go and they were removed without much further hassle.

Prior to mounting I did a plug-in test to make sure all was working as intended, and everything worked perfectly. Time to bolt these suckers in:

With the headlights bolted on, I went about finishing the install of my Philips Daylight 8 DRL control unit. The control unit itself is simple to install… a red wire that goes to the positive terminal on the battery, a black to the negative terminal, and an orange wire that enables the dimming function. The orange wire can be tapped into the 12v for the low beams optionally, to dim the DRL when the low beams turn on. I tried this out, but didn’t like the effect. As of this moment I have left the orange wire unconnected and tucked away, and the DRL runs full brightness as long as the ignition is on. I used 3M 2-way molding tape to mount the control unit to one of the fuse boxes.

Last edited by slippyturtle; 03-31-2016 at 04:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 03-31-2016, 08:25 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Wiring up the headlights with the harness I made was straight forward. The H4 adapter plugs into the stock H4 harness. The HB3 connector plugs into the HB3 high beam bulb on the headlight. The DRL connector plugs into the Philips Daylight 8 control unit. The turn signal T20 adapter plugs into the stock turn signal connector, and the female connector clicks into the turn signal socket on the headlight. I removed the bulb from the stock parking light connector and tucked the wiring harness out of the way (there is no bulb out warning on the dash with this bulb removed). With the harness completely loomed up like factory, the install is as clean and factory looking as possible.

The LED fog lights are a much less involved installation. Out of the box there is a little assembly required… just bolting the lamp housing to the trim. After that they simply swap out in place of the factory fog lights (if you have an EX or EX-L). They have the same H8 connector, so they plug right in. Unfortunately, if you have an LX, you'll have to install the OEM fog light kit first. The pdf I linked earlier from College Hills details the process of the installation.

Rear view of fog lights installed in the bumper:

There’s a dial on the bottom of each fog lamp housing that you can use to adjust them up or down. You can reach this from the access panel in front of the wheel well that you would use to change out the fog light bulbs, and can be turned by inserting a long Phillips head screwdriver into the gear dial. Turn clockwise to raise up, counter-clockwise to turn down.

All that was needed to be done at this point was bolt everything together and take pictures of the finished project:

In bright sunlight with DRL on:

At dusk with DRL on:

Headlights + fog lights on:

Fog lamps:

So how do they perform? Functionally they perform like they should from the factory. DRL comes on when I start the car at full brightness, turns off when you turn the car off. High beams work, low beams work, automatic headlights work. Turn signals work without staying on full time during parking light/low beam function. The Philips Daylight 8 control unit has no problem running the factory DRL (I’ve read on someone else’s install of the Daylight 9 system that there were problems with the control unit turning the DRL’s on and off randomly). I expect that the universal DRL control units on eBay should work fine (no idea about how good they are tho).

The beam pattern from the Vezel LED projectors is VERY sharp. I also notice a very pronounced blue at the cutoff of the beam. Being J-spec, they have a cutoff that angles to the left and up, opposite of US-spec projector beam patterns which go right and up. This doesn’t seem to be much of a problem for opposite lane traffic though, unless you have your headlights aimed way high. I don't see them lighting up the faces of people in traffic opposite of me on two lane roads. The LED fog lights have a wider dispersion pattern than the stock lamps, lighting up a wider angle to the left and right immediately in the front of the car due to the way the projectors of each led are designed. The cutoff beam is very sharp. Combined they provide a very intense white illumination on the road in the front of the car.

The way these headlights change the look of the car is phenomenal to me. It’s such a sad thing that this option was unavailable to us from the factory. This was a worthwhile upgrade for me, and in the end, not so hard to do.
KrismanX likes this.
post #3 of 22 Old 03-31-2016, 10:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
nice write up.

post #4 of 22 Old 03-31-2016, 10:26 AM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
in regards to led tail/head light not available here in the USA. if these were sold in the USA, the price of the hrv would be at least $2-3000+ higher pushing into $30k category. there would also be too many blurred lines between the CRV and pilot. at its current price point, the car is what it is. hids and LEDs are nice to haves. they are not the end all be all for cars.

still, that does not take away from what you brought and installed. very nice set up and great write up for sure.
post #5 of 22 Old 03-31-2016, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Hi Slippyturtle, Thank you for taking the time to write up the detailed installation instructions. As I am still awaiting delivery of my HRV you have given me "food for thought". I know I want to change the lights rear and front once we get the HRV and with your great advise and instructions my husband and I can at least start planning at some point down the road to possibly do this.
post #6 of 22 Old 03-31-2016, 05:39 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
wow i would totally pay you to do this. but your so far away
post #7 of 22 Old 04-01-2016, 06:56 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pearlwhite01 View Post
in regards to led tail/head light not available here in the USA. if these were sold in the USA, the price of the hrv would be at least $2-3000+ higher pushing into $30k category. there would also be too many blurred lines between the CRV and pilot. at its current price point, the car is what it is. hids and LEDs are nice to haves. they are not the end all be all for cars.

still, that does not take away from what you brought and installed. very nice set up and great write up for sure.
I agree with everything you've said. It would have been nice to have a touring package of some sort that included upgraded lighting, but you're probably right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetsyBlue View Post
Hi Slippyturtle, Thank you for taking the time to write up the detailed installation instructions. As I am still awaiting delivery of my HRV you have given me "food for thought". I know I want to change the lights rear and front once we get the HRV and with your great advise and instructions my husband and I can at least start planning at some point down the road to possibly do this.
Glad my post has helped you. Hope you car comes in soon, and when you and the hubby tackle this project, I hope this makes it a bit easier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Standotawesome View Post
wow i would totally pay you to do this. but your so far away
LOL, ya sorry man. Nothing around me but ocean for miles.
post #8 of 22 Old 04-01-2016, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pearlwhite01 View Post

Lets see if they release the 2017 Model with these head/tail lights for around the same price.
post #9 of 22 Old 04-25-2016, 08:32 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
I just realized that I never commented in your thread. This is the only HR-V/Vezel I've liked with the LED headlights. I think the sport grille makes a big difference. The cutoff looks good too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 22 Old 04-26-2016, 04:19 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks man! I agree I think the sport grille sets off a nice look. I thought about changing to the new RS grille, but in the end I decided that this one looked better.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda HR-V Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page