User Tag List

5Likes

post #1 of 37 Old 05-26-2015, 12:55 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question about upgrading audio system

Hi Guys! I need some advice. I just bought an EX HR-V and I am loving almost everything about the car. I am coming out of a 2012 Jetta which had a lot of reliability issues and am new to the Honda brand. Almost everything in the HR-V feels like an upgrade over the Jetta EXCEPT for the audio system. I thought my Jetta SE had a mediocre/ barely sufficient sounding system but the stereo in the HR-V is downright horrible even for a base system. My questions is can upgrading only the speakers significantly improve the sound system or would I need to install a subwoofer in addition to other things? I was hoping to keep the car completely stock because I don''t like messing with the original components of the vehicle the may potentially void the new car warranty but I don't think I can tolerate the horrible sound quality....you can't even adjust the midrange, only bass and treble..WTF!!!.....Also for those of you who actually own or been inside an HR-V, are those grills on the dash actually speakers or are they there just for looks?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 05-26-2015, 01:37 AM

Quoted: 322 Post(s)
I believe the grills near the windshield are the tweeter speakers.
post #3 of 37 Old 05-26-2015, 11:47 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In Brazil, those grills are tweeters only in the EXL (top) version.

2016 HR-V EXL
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 37 Old 05-26-2015, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Sound systems have always been a weak point on Hondas. I can't think of a Honda sound system that compares favorably to any of the competition. Fortunately the rest of the car usually overshadows the stereo (at least for me). Sound systems can be upgraded by aftermarket if desired, thankfully.
post #5 of 37 Old 05-26-2015, 01:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Good speakers helped me -

When I had to replace my radio in an Acura RSX I decided to upgrade the speakers. It made a big difference without having to spend big bucks.
post #6 of 37 Old 06-25-2015, 03:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I hear there is no "true" equalizer on the HR-V. I have a 10' sub and new speakers that I would like to install on my potential new HR-V, but if I can not adjust the bass, treble, fade, etc. then I might have to reconsider this vehicle.

In order to completely revamp the audio system would I have to buy a new headset and basically forgo many of the features Honda has added to this new vehicle? It seems like Honda made it so you can not easily install a new audio system.
post #7 of 37 Old 06-25-2015, 07:45 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Garage
I have to agree that the sound system (every part of it) is horrible sounding. I'm definitely going to be upgrading the speakers as well as adding an underseat sub. Depending on how much that improves the sound, I'll see about changing out the head unit.
post #8 of 37 Old 06-25-2015, 10:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alkaiser View Post
I have to agree that the sound system (every part of it) is horrible sounding. I'm definitely going to be upgrading the speakers as well as adding an underseat sub. Depending on how much that improves the sound, I'll see about changing out the head unit.
Which trim level? I drove and listened to an EX-L and it sounded...well, better than my 2006 Civic...in part because the HRV is quieter.
I even plugged in an mp3 player and that sounded quiet good.
post #9 of 37 Old 06-26-2015, 08:06 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alkaiser View Post
I have to agree that the sound system (every part of it) is horrible sounding.
Not sure which models your referring to with the "horrible sounding" audio.........

While it's not high-end home stereo audiophile fidelity I don't expect that in a vehicle either..........the (2) HR-V EX models we have sound pretty darn good IMHO with the stock 180-Watt 6 Speaker setup.

I can't complain and have no inclination to modify the existing setup.
Much better fidelity than our previous '11 Tucson or '13 RAV4 systems.

-Brian

2016 Honda HR-V EX AWD (White - Her's)
2016 Honda HR-V EX AWD (Silver - His)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by buerkletucson; 06-26-2015 at 08:52 AM.
post #10 of 37 Old 06-26-2015, 03:34 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Garage
I have the LX trim, but I also heard the EX's upgraded system as well. I bought the LX knowing that I was going to be upgrading the sound.

There isn't enough clarity in the high end, and the low end just simply doesn't exist. Low mids are also crap. My 2000 Volvo S70's stock setup was a lot better.

I'm no audiophile by any means, but I do like a balanced, full, and clear sound that works with the wide range of music I listen to.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda HR-V Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page