User Tag List

1Likes

post #1 of 26 Old 06-01-2015, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Getting MirrorLink to stay on while driving

Hi, just became a proud owner of an HRV EX!! I found out that it supports MirrorLink and my Android phone (HTC M8) will connect to it and allow the car app to be launched which includes Google maps navigation. Only issue is that as soon as it comes out of park it disables the feature.
Any thoughts on getting to continue running while in drive, sucks that I can get nav from my phone but can't use it while driving. I did run through the diagnostic menu and could not find anything there (Hint: do not click on "Aim Lanewatch" bad things will happen )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 06-01-2015, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
So I found out that Sygic Car Navigation will actually work with MirrorLink while in drive. The issue now is that I don't want to pay 79.99 Euros for a navigation system that has a horrible user interface - I really want Waze, but would settle for Google Maps. Any one know what apps will work with MirrorLink?
post #3 of 26 Old 06-01-2015, 09:41 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
i'd like to know as well. the OEM honda nav unit sucks. we got the car for my wife who has an android phone and would love to use google maps.

anyways to get android based phones w/ google maps to work w/ the in car display?

post #4 of 26 Old 07-07-2015, 11:14 PM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Does anyone know what Mirror-Link DOES work with as far as an Android phone and an HRV EX? All it does is black out my phone. It turned one when I was trying to charge my phone using a USB charging cable. I think I now see how to turn it off. It blacked out my phone completely - none of the buttons did anything.. and on the HRV screen it made it appear as though my phone was in a call. The only options I had were to hang up or transfer the call, but I wasn't on a call, and pressing hang up did nothing. I couldn't get to the screens to make a call. Wish I knew something it is good for, but at least hopefully I have now found a way to turn it off so I can actually charge my phone while driving.
post #5 of 26 Old 07-07-2015, 11:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aznsap View Post
i'd like to know as well. the OEM honda nav unit sucks. we got the car for my wife who has an android phone and would love to use google maps.

anyways to get android based phones w/ google maps to work w/ the in car display?

Sorry, should have done some research. I would guess it will be available for the 2017 model.
post #6 of 26 Old 07-08-2015, 09:22 PM

Whenever I plug my bluetooth connected android into a charger that's plugged in to the USB port, it sets my phone to connect to Mirror Link. This causes the system to think I am "in call" and it blacks out my phone. I do NOT have the NAV, and it doesn't matter if I do or don't have a Nav app running on my phone. I found where, under settings/more networks/mirror link that with the car in park (so my phone isn't blacked out) I can go here and un-check mirror link - sounds good.. BUT - the minute I put the car in drive it reconnects mirror link, and my phone and entire audio system in the car are useless. I guess the temp fix is to turn off bluetooth on my phone - but then I can't use the phone to talk through the car. I wish there was a way to totally disable mirror link either on the android or on the car. Otherwise, I will be unable to charge the phone, from the USB port, while, for example, running a nav system on my phone, nothing to do with the car. This is a major and unexpected bummer.
post #7 of 26 Old 07-09-2015, 12:08 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
Whenever I plug my bluetooth connected android into a charger that's plugged in to the USB port, it sets my phone to connect to Mirror Link. This causes the system to think I am "in call" and it blacks out my phone. I do NOT have the NAV, and it doesn't matter if I do or don't have a Nav app running on my phone. I found where, under settings/more networks/mirror link that with the car in park (so my phone isn't blacked out) I can go here and un-check mirror link - sounds good.. BUT - the minute I put the car in drive it reconnects mirror link, and my phone and entire audio system in the car are useless. I guess the temp fix is to turn off bluetooth on my phone - but then I can't use the phone to talk through the car. I wish there was a way to totally disable mirror link either on the android or on the car. Otherwise, I will be unable to charge the phone, from the USB port, while, for example, running a nav system on my phone, nothing to do with the car. This is a major and unexpected bummer.

Yes...and more people should research before they buy. It's been a big bone of contention with Android users. I haven't even bought a Samsung phone yet because of it. I might end up getting an iPhone. Fortunately, my world doesn't revolve around my phone so I may be safe either way I go. I plan on getting an EX-L...when one becomes available.
post #8 of 26 Old 07-09-2015, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leavenfish View Post
Yes...and more people should research before they buy. It's been a big bone of contention with Android users. I haven't even bought a Samsung phone yet because of it. I might end up getting an iPhone. Fortunately, my world doesn't revolve around my phone so I may be safe either way I go. I plan on getting an EX-L...when one becomes available.
My world doesn't revolve around my phone either. I didn't need it to do anything fancy - but I'd like to be able to charge it and "use" it as a phone or for music at the same time. As long as I don't plug it into the USB charger it's fine - but that was my plan for long drives using my phone as GPS so I could charge it at the same time. I can set up a direct charge for it, or turn off the bluetooth, but there should be a way to turn off the mirror link, either in the car or on the phone. Not sure who should "own" that. I would never get in iPhone just so it works with a car I did clearly see that the honda link is for the iPhone - and I don't care about it.. and folks wrote that their android phones synced up just fine, as did mine. It's something to do with connecting to the USB port.. I just wish I could turn the mirror link off.
post #9 of 26 Old 07-09-2015, 10:19 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Edit - this is not to get mirrorlink to work - this is to keep it from blacking out your phone while plugged into the USB port. I don't care about this when driving, but I do when I am a passenger.

I've seen talk of two possible work-arounds - easiest one - use a travel charger and plug into the power port instead of into the USB port.

Other one is to install a debloater and disable MirrorLink.apk. I've done that one. Instructions found here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/andr...bloat-t2998294 (Must be rooted or running KitKat (4.4) or above [ex. Lollipop is 5.0])

HR-V EX CVT FWD in Modern Steel Metallic
Took possession 5/28/15.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by aatx; 07-09-2015 at 10:23 AM.
post #10 of 26 Old 07-09-2015, 11:13 PM

aatx - thank you. Exactly, I don't care about it working, I want it to stop blacking out my phone - and same - as a passenger! Re the software you refer to - sounds like that goes on my computer, not the phone, right? And you've done it? Was your phone possibly a Samsung? I have something else plugged in to the one power port, and thought - hey - great way to make use of the USB port.. Anyway - thank you very much.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda HR-V Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page