post #11 of 25 Old 03-28-2016, 08:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollface View Post
Hi!

Anyways, I am torn between the HRV and the Civic. Mainly because of the engine and the Apple Carplay in the Civic. The HRV would be more practical and I plan on having this car for awhile. (My family only purchases Hondas and we usually have them for about 8-10 years before buying a new one)

My main focus is the HondaLink. I have read terrible reviews on it. Do Apple phones work fine through this system? I am not interested in the Navigation system but I am interested in the EX-L model. I really only want the leather and the buttons on the steering wheel from this model. Can I get those features on the EX model?

If I have to get the EX-L model to get those features, do I have to pay to use the Navigation system or can I just ignore it and use my phone?

Sorry for all the questions! While at the dealer we only focused on the Civic features. But I am really undecided on what to get. I would be completely sold on the HRV if it had Apple Carplay. That is really the only thing that is turning me off about it. What do you think?

Thank you!

First off, never apologize for asking questions, that is why the forum is here!

Now, I have the EX-L, and I have not tested the nav system yet, that might happen this week. You do not have to pay to use the Honda Link Navigation, but as others have mentioned it is not as good as other navigations. I am pretty sure that Apple or Google maps can play through the car speakers. I will probably test that out tomorrow, before I go adventuring on Thursday.

However, you can set up Siri so that you do not have to directly use the Honda Link voice commands for texting/etc. I just hold the button on the steering wheel a little longer and it goes direct to Siri and I go from there etc. I think this is also possible with the other models. Search the forums and you can get some answers probably.

It does stink that we won't get carplay (even with updates) with the 2016 HRV model, but I was sold on the utility, and since I do some unique hauling, for me it is a better fit.

If I were younger, and didn't have my unique hauling needs, the new Civic would have been a serious contender for me too. The first car I ever bought was a 2003 Civic, and I loved that car.

Ultimately, I would test drive both, and then decide. Both should have good resale value, and hopefully dependability.
Dollface likes this.

Enjoying all that the musical life has to offer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 Old 03-28-2016, 09:22 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Garage
I personally can't imagine driving a standard sedan-type car, and I don't like the look of the upcoming (someday in US) Civic hatch. So the Civic is out, except for one reason ... Apple CarPlay. That would be the only reason I would consider it.

I went with the HR-V because of its tremendous functionality. It's a putt-putt driver, but I don't even notice because that's the way I drove my 2008 VW GTI for the last 8 years. The only time I would notice a difference is in freeway merging. Otherwise, the HR-V is perfectly adequate, or actually ideal, for my style of driving. It meets my needs, more than CarPlay does.
Dollface likes this.
post #13 of 25 Old 03-29-2016, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonHRV View Post
I have both the 2016 HRV EXL AWD (had it for 8 months) and 2016 Civic Touring (had it for 3 months, but mostly used by my son). I am still not sure which one I like more.

One thing I miss on the Civic are the paddle shifters.

I am thinking about buying another car/SUV, my wife needs a replacement for her old SUV. I am also waiting to see the 2017 HRV before I decide between a new Civic or an HRV.
Is the CR-V due for much of a change in 17?

It's not that I'm old...Your music really does suck.

2016 HR-V EX FWD CVT
White Orchid Pearl
Purchased 03/10/2016

post #14 of 25 Old 03-29-2016, 01:51 PM

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannerHRV View Post
Is the CR-V due for much of a change in 17?
2017 should be the first model of year of the fifth generation, so there should be a bunch of changes. Biggest one that has already been confirmed by the CEO is that it will come with a turbocharged option (likely the 1.5T from the Civic). Other specifics are unclear, but I would expect the interior quality and overall refinement to see a huge bump based on how much the new Civic improved, and there are rumors of a hybrid version and even a third-row option (though probably not in the US).

http://www.examiner.com/article/hond...7-honda-cr-v-1
http://www.trucktrend.com/news/1507-...-seven-seater/
post #15 of 25 Old 04-04-2016, 01:37 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My previous car was an 08 civic coupe EX. I prefer the HR-V for the utility and higher ride of an SUV. It's also a very nice vehicle for it's class. I agree with other posts: it comes down to what you value most. Fun in the civic or utility in the HR-V. FYI - My 08 civic cabin was terribly loud. Hopefully they've reduced cabin noise in the 16, but I'd test drive them both to compare.

Regarding the HR-V's infotainment:
* The NAV is terrible. Basically unusable. I don't even bother anymore. You'd find your way walking before the NAV gets you to your destination.
* The rest of the infotainment is bad, but you'd get used to it. It's similar to learning the terrible, unintuitive menus of a "smart" TV vs using a smartphone. Painful, but once you learn the quirks you'd adapt. I'd also bet that even though the new Civic has CarPlay, the rest of the infotainment is still going to be fairly poor. Honda hasn't really figured out what a User Experience team is for.

If you want the HR-V for the utility and space, I don't think the infotainment would be a dealbreaker for you. If you don't need the utility, it sounds like the civic provides a more refined experience all around.

Good luck!
Dollface likes this.
post #16 of 25 Old 04-04-2016, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
for what it's worth, the civic is more jazzy while the hrv, especially the lx, feels much more practial
Dollface likes this.
post #17 of 25 Old 04-04-2016, 03:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
I'm on the fence between a hrv ex manual or a coming soon civic hatch manual

What I'd really want is the 1.5T to find its way into a hrv.

I've driven the civic 1.5T engine with CVT and it was fun, and I know that will be the standard engine in the civic hatch

I guess I'll wait for the civic hatch to arrive, drive it and see how much space it offers, then see if the hrv 17 will have the 1.5T engine as an option then decide.

This coming from a 09 fit driver manual as well!
post #18 of 25 Old 04-04-2016, 06:13 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Hi!
I am torn between the HRV and the Civic. Mainly because of the engine and the Apple Carplay in the Civic.
Hello Sugarface.

Paying for an aftermarket Apple Play isnt too expensive, but Leather is a little more, and paying for both, might get a little expensive. You might not like that the HR-V is nowhere as peppy as the Civic.

But as far as owning an SUV, you can take it places you wouldnt dare take your Civic. So it really comes down to your driving habits.

I love my EX-L CRV, but rarely use my Nav. Love the Leather though! I love the AWD in winter storms, big time!
Dollface likes this.

My Garage:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #19 of 25 Old 04-04-2016, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thanks everyone!! <3

I am going to go with the HRV. I went and test drove today and I love it!!
Now just going to research on the invoice price because I know for a fact that the dealer I went to is trying to rip me off.
Jillie likes this.
post #20 of 25 Old 04-04-2016, 07:38 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks everyone!! <3

I am going to go with the HRV. I went and test drove today and I love it!!
Now just going to research on the invoice price because I know for a fact that the dealer I went to is trying to rip me off.
If you live in a major metropolitan area, go to edmunds.com, and ask for quotes. Chances are, dealers will start calling or emailing you within minutes. It's kind of like chumming for sharks.
Dollface likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda HR-V Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page