12Likes

post #1 of 23 Old 03-28-2016, 05:54 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
2016 HRV vs. 2016 Civic

Hi!

I am new to this thread and am thrilled to have stumbled across it. I am about to purchase my first brand new car ever!

I was previously waiting for the 2016 Civic Coupe to be released, which it finally is. I still have yet to see it in person because the one my dealer had sold right away.

Anyways, I am torn between the HRV and the Civic. Mainly because of the engine and the Apple Carplay in the Civic. The HRV would be more practical and I plan on having this car for awhile. (My family only purchases Hondas and we usually have them for about 8-10 years before buying a new one)

My main focus is the HondaLink. I have read terrible reviews on it. Do Apple phones work fine through this system? I am not interested in the Navigation system but I am interested in the EX-L model. I really only want the leather and the buttons on the steering wheel from this model. Can I get those features on the EX model?

If I have to get the EX-L model to get those features, do I have to pay to use the Navigation system or can I just ignore it and use my phone?

Sorry for all the questions! While at the dealer we only focused on the Civic features. But I am really undecided on what to get. I would be completely sold on the HRV if it had Apple Carplay. That is really the only thing that is turning me off about it. What do you think?

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 03-28-2016, 08:02 AM

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Garage
Phone and stereo controls come on all models. Leather only comes with the NAV. I haven't used Honda link because I have an LX, use an Android phone and only need the Bluetooth which has worked perfectly so far.
Dollface likes this.

What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you!
post #3 of 23 Old 03-28-2016, 09:12 AM
JWB

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
The nav is terrible. I had it in my CR-Z. I bought an EX and a Garmin. Works fantastic. Yes I missed out on leather and roof rails, but I didn't think it was worth the added expense. I love my EX.
Dollface likes this.

post #4 of 23 Old 03-28-2016, 09:12 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
If you don't need/want the HR-V's:

– Body and seat height above the mud and snow.

– Large usable cargo space (for its size).

– 9 inches (+ or –) shorter overall length/more garage space.

Then the Civic may be your better choice ... IMHO.
Dollface likes this.

2016 AWD EX-L HR-V (Hers)
2017 AWD iActiveSense GT CX-3 (His)
post #5 of 23 Old 03-28-2016, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Awesome thank you!

I'lll probably just get the EX and upgrade to the leather seats. I can just stick to the blue tooth since the apple carplay, I've been reading only the text messaging feature is different.

Mainemanx, I definitely want all those things! lol! I definitely need an HRV.
mainemanx likes this.
post #6 of 23 Old 03-28-2016, 02:20 PM

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
I had some time with the EX-T civic:

- Ride is much smoother than the HR-V
- Acceleration is a lot better
- Carplay is amazing (I would not even bother with HondaLink)
- Trunk is large, but obviously not as flexible as the HR-V
- Rear space is good, but not as spacious as the HR-V

It really just comes down to whether or not you want a sedan or CUV. The Civic is a great car.
mainemanx likes this.

2016 HR-V EX in Modern Steel Metallic
post #7 of 23 Old 03-28-2016, 03:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
The '16 Civic is h-u-g-e ... compared to my '76 Accord

2016 AWD EX-L HR-V (Hers)
2017 AWD iActiveSense GT CX-3 (His)
post #8 of 23 Old 03-28-2016, 07:04 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
I think you already have covered all the main differences, the civic is faster, more fun to drive (independent suspension and lower center gravity) and a bit more agressive styling. The HRV is slightly more uncommon and more practical. The HRV is fun to drive too but just slower on the acceleration.

Last edited by xcore; 03-29-2016 at 03:18 AM.
post #9 of 23 Old 03-28-2016, 07:35 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Since you mentioned the coupe it seems you're willing to sacrifice utility. In that case, I'd definitely go with the civic. I've driven both (the sedan version) and the civic outclasses the HR-V in everything except for the aforementioned utility. I'm waiting to see what, if anything, Honda does to the HR-V this summer for the new model year. If nothing, then I'm going with the civic hatch being released this fall.
post #10 of 23 Old 03-28-2016, 08:57 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
I have both the 2016 HRV EXL AWD (had it for 8 months) and 2016 Civic Touring (had it for 3 months, but mostly used by my son). I am still not sure which one I like more.

One thing I miss on the Civic are the paddle shifters.

I am thinking about buying another car/SUV, my wife needs a replacement for her old SUV. I am also waiting to see the 2017 HRV before I decide between a new Civic or an HRV.
Dollface likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda HR-V Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page