• 1 Post By Suenami

post #1 of 8 Old 07-12-2016, 02:48 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
HRV LX AWD 22.7 vs Camry LE 19.5

Hey guys,

I was quoted 22.7k OTD for HRV LX CVT AWD, Toyota has great rebates and is offering 19.5k out the door on a base 2016 Camry LE (automatic, no added options).

The Camry seems like an insanely good price it's got power seats and lumbar support but
- feels outdated compared to HRV, I'm young and cool
- lacks the cargo capacity of HRV, I move like once a year
- no AWD option

I really really like the look and higher ride of HRV but concerned about
-Mexico plant and I may have been looking really hard but did notice the a little stitching <1inch undone on a back seat.
-Once u hit 70mph u feel the small size, it shakes a little, not as bad as my old Prius but still a bit

2017 Camry is already out which I suspect is depressing the Camry price, I fear 2017 HRV will be out soon and if I buy now it'll be a bad deal

Been researching, calling and visiting and feeling burnt out so asking for some opinions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-12-2016, 03:33 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
The rumor is that the 2017 will be out in mid September. Wait till then to make your decision.

2016 EX AWD
post #3 of 8 Old 07-12-2016, 03:39 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
if you want bland, uninviting, and passion less transportation. go get the Camry.
Phalkon30 likes this.
post #4 of 8 Old 07-12-2016, 04:28 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
I have known three Camry incidents that remind me how unsafe a conservative soft slushy suspension can be. #1 A friend riding with his mom in an old Camry who takes a left turn slightly fast (mom driving), but can't understand how they end up skidding and spinning up against the curb. #2 - I passed an "older gentleman" in a Camry fast in the left lane and it must of startled him causing him to jerk the wheel?? His car did about 3x 360 spins before pulling out of it. #3 - I rented one about 12 years ago and realized how scary it would be to perform an emergency maneuver, but thinking this IS a lot of car for the money! Now they make the Camry & Sienna in the SE "sport Edition" with stiffer suspension and should be safer and more enjoyable IMO.

The HRV, which I've been driving for a whole 150 miles so far feels pretty good. Just the short wheelbase can help a lot in a quick turn. I just gave up my Mini Clubman which truly adds safety by being able to dodge many accidents before they happen ( I live in SO Cal and things happen here). We have an 8 year old Honda Odyssey and it doesn't freak me out at all (other than a long stopping distance). I have not driven a current model Camry so maybe they've changed? BTW, I did have a 2nd gen Prius as a loaner for two days and thought it handled decent for what is was.
post #5 of 8 Old 07-12-2016, 08:31 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pearlwhite01 View Post
if you want bland, uninviting, and passion less transportation. go get the Camry.
Agreed, I've driven a few Camry as rentals, they're very boring cars. It will be incredibly reliable, get great mileage, have plenty of room for passengers however.

Everyone that gets in my HRV says they can't believe how cool and modern it looks for the price (I'm a millenial, so are my friends). The handling is easily as good as my Ford Fusion (up until the edge, then I don't know about rolling), and super stiff. If it weren't for the drivers seat, I'd say this is the perfect car.

2016 HR-V EX 6MT - Purchased 4/14/16.

Behold: The Ninja Turtle
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 Old 07-12-2016, 09:09 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suenami View Post
I really really like the look and higher ride of HRV but concerned about
-Mexico plant and I may have been looking really hard but did notice the a little stitching <1inch undone on a back seat.
-Once u hit 70mph u feel the small size, it shakes a little, not as bad as my old Prius but still a bit
I suspect that most of the quality control issues with the Celaya plant were related to first year of production; waiting for the 2017 should resolve that. There are two other reasons to wait, if you can:

1) If new features are added, you may find the 2017 more attractive
2) If the new features don't thrill you, dealers are more likely to be flexible on pricing once the 2017 models start shipping, so you could get a better deal. Of course, you could lose that on the back end if you only keep a car for a few years. I usually keep a car well beyond 100,000 miles, then give it to my daughter if I buy another car, so residual value is of no concern to me.

In my experience, the HR-V feels planted and stable at any speed, including well over 70 mph. However, because of its squarish shape, gas mileage falls off rapidly above 70 mph.
Phalkon30 likes this.

Last edited by Selden; 07-13-2016 at 03:25 PM.
post #7 of 8 Old 07-12-2016, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I got it! CVT LX AWD in Misty Green for 22.5 all in. I wish I had the flexibility to wait for 2017 but i need to start driving to school next week. Really happy so far and you can't put a price on that! Thanks everyone for the advice and reminder that you should go with a car you actually like
Phalkon30 likes this.
post #8 of 8 Old 07-13-2016, 04:49 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Congratulations Suenami ! The green was my second choice - it's nice.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda HR-V Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page