1Likes

post #31 of 36 Old 06-09-2016, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
That's the nice thing. You can actually import them in. We here in the states cannot (legally).
There's loopholes for importing JDM cars legally. I don't know much about it but I've seen several Skylines, Silvia's, Civic's, and other right hand drive cars with California titles. I've heard that it's easier to bring it to the lower 48 states if you're in the military and stationed in Hawaii. I guess Hawaii let's you import JDM cars??

Formerly known as 1SlowHRV

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 36 Old 06-09-2016, 05:40 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Plan and simple if its not at least 25 yrs old it cant be imported into the US.

On the Skylines, I believe the R32 did get clearance to be imported as it went through US crash testing and did pass. The company who got the certification for the R32 then forged the results for the R33. Some were imported under that forged paper work but they were found out. The US sent out Feds to confiscate R33. One of which was taken from the guy who ran the R33 skyline forum.

Yes there are ways around but nothing is legal and if you get a smart cop, the car is gone.

Im upset my phone has recently crashed. I was going to post pics of the only Nissan Stagea R34 wagon here in the US we currently know of. A friend has owned it for a number of years now. Bought it feom an importer in Flordia. Yes, it was brought in illegally and the plates on it since Ive known him have always been out dated out of state plates. Like 7 states away. The car is actually trailered to shows and currently is just hidden in a garage.

Here is a google link to pics of the car and him.

https://www.google.com/search?q=niss...sch&q=wagzilla

Now a little about importing a car that isnt 25 yrs old and you want to do it legally. Well, you would need to import 3 actually. 2 of which will be crashed. 1 does a front offset crash, the other a side impact test. If they pass, the 3rd you can keep and drive. If one fails, you can make improvements but they will need to rerun the test on an undamaged car that got the modifications.

Things the US doesnt like, glass headlamps, no true bumper reinforcement, no door beams and thats just to name a few.

Other ways I know people have used to drive say a real RHD Civic or Integra that isnt 25 yrs old yet.

They have the RHD car, say a white 2dr Civic, then get an identical LHD White 2dr Civic car, plate the LHD car and put those plates on the RHD car. That way when the cop runs the plate randomly it come up to a White Honda Civic. Granted, if you do get pulled over for something, again it comes down to how smart is the cop that pulled you over.

I do NOT condone anything I just put out there but was ONLY using it as examples of how people get away with it.

Some things you may want to read over if interested in importing a car.

https://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-impo.../importing-car

http://jalopnik.com/here-are-the-fou...uni-1682067632

Last edited by Honda4Life; 06-09-2016 at 05:54 PM. Reason: Added some links.
post #33 of 36 Old 06-09-2016, 08:11 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Sounds harder there in the States. Here in Aus, we can import one in as long as:
* There is no similar or the same chassis sold within Australia (for example, we can't really import an FD2R because we have the standard FD1 and FD2 here sold locally).
* You can live in Japan for one year and bring back the car with you as a private import

But there is still some rules about importing JDM cars in for daily use. NSX-R can't be street registered as it only has one airbag, therefore, it can only be used as a track car.

post #34 of 36 Old 06-09-2016, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the info, Honda4Life.

Is your friend's Wagon an R34 or WC34? I looked up R34 wagons but they all have the R34 Skyline front end swaps.

Formerly known as 1SlowHRV

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #35 of 36 Old 06-10-2016, 11:21 AM
Banned

This is what its full name is of what it is.

1998 Nissan Stagea 260rs Autech. This version is a very limited run and the most sought after. It is a manual AWD.

Digging through my phone I did find some pics I have of the car. Ive uploaded them the photobucket so here you go. It looks black in pictures but is really a deep dark purple and yes it is a factory color.

Anyways, on to the pics.

Last edited by Honda4Life; 06-10-2016 at 11:48 AM. Reason: Found and added pics.
post #36 of 36 Old 06-10-2016, 11:46 AM
Banned

Heres a link to an article from 2011 that explains the feds taking Skylines and what years were legal to import.

http://jalopnik.com/5775509/feds-lau...skyline-owners

One from 2012. Guy lost 2 cars.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/05/29/w...issan-skyline/

From January this year.

https://artofgears.com/2016/01/09/wa...e-get-crushed/

And I believe this all started in 2009. Feds taking them and destroying them when found.

As I stated before, all it takes is 1 smart cop and its gone.

Last edited by Honda4Life; 06-10-2016 at 11:56 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda HR-V Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page