2Likes
  • 2 Post By Selden

post #1 of 5 Old 08-02-2016, 08:11 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Road Trip

I'm just back from a road trip to the Rockies, 1500 miles in each direction in a big Dodge 4-door pickup, towing 3 motorcycles in a trailer from Atlanta to Fort Collins, Co. Not the most obvious vehicle for comparison with a HR-V, but here are my impressions:

Seat comfort: Tie. Dodge had a multi-adjustable power seat; I raised the front of the driver's seat on the HR-V 8 mm using washers as shims. HR-V seat was slightly more comfortable, due to better lumbar support. Rear seat in the Dodge had exposed hinges at the split, which dug into my back while sleeping (we had three drivers, covering 1500 miles with only fuel/food stops in ~24 hours each way).

Climate control: No contest. The HR-V cools down quicker and distributes cool air more evenly. Given the reputation of big American vehicles, this was a surprise, but the truck's A/C was barely able to keep up in 102° heat across Kansas. The A/C had been serviced just before the trip, including a new compressor.

Road noise: No contest. The HR-V was quieter at speed, much quieter during acceleration (not surprising when compared with a big diesel). The truck had some bad wind noise issues with cross winds, something I have never experienced with the HR-V.

Ride comfort: Tie. The 8000 pound truck rode much more softly than expected, possibly because of the 2000 pound trailer load.

Controls: No contest. Dodge controls were a typical mishmash of too many buttons with too few functions. Why do so many American cars use buttons on both sides of the steering wheel for cruise control?

Why the long trip? Motorcycle rally based out of Red Lodge, MT. I rode ~2000 miles in 7 days. What spectacular country, especially the Chief Joseph and Beartooth highways!

Slide show: https://goo.gl/8fNPjl
ddemetra and miaocat like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-02-2016, 09:34 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Garage
Sounds like a great trip!

I'm surprised by your AC comments, my wife complains every time she rides in the back that there's no airflow back there. I really wish there were a center console vent for the rear seats, I have to put it on floor vents to get anything moving back there.

I also miss having power seats, but the washer mod did help, and I love the form fitting sides of the HR-V.

2016 HR-V EX 6MT - Purchased 4/14/16.

Behold: The Ninja Turtle
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old 08-02-2016, 10:25 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Garage
Selden, BMW's were not designed to ride on trailers! Trailers were designed to haul one type of motorcycle...nope not going to complete that sentence and start the war.
Us (former and current) BMW riders know that you have to suffer and slog your way across Kansas in the 102 degree heat. There is no option for being comfortable, it is all about logging the miles.
Your trip would have made a good Bun Burner 1500 to begin your adventure.
By the way folks, this is all said in jest. Selden and I have chatted motorcycles before. And what a fantastic trip. I have gone to the Top of the Rockies rally. There is just so much great riding in Colorado.

RJ
IBA #62636

post #4 of 5 Old 08-02-2016, 10:27 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Sounds like a nice trip.

I just got back from a 10 day family vacation as well in the Rockies, as we flew to Calgary, we rented a 2016 Nissan Altima.

Nissan Altima Edge
189 horse power, nice for climbing/accelerating
68L (vs the HR-V 50L) gas tank would give me 900-1000 km per tank (36% larger tank)
Seat comfort, full power seat with adjustable lumbar support

HR-V Edge
Grey interior, every time we opened the Nissan it was so hot
Keyless entry, I have really gotten used to the convenience
MPG the Nissan I could only squeeze about 6 l/100km, with the HR-V I can get under 5 l/100km
Instantaneous fuel efficiency not available in the Nissan
Downhill coast mode using zero fuel only in the HR-V
The Nissan has an annoying honk every time you lock it, I prefer the silent HR-V
Even though the Nissan is much longer, the HR-V holds our luggage better (688L HR-V vs 436L Nissan)
Touch screen controls have really grown on me, my preference now
Ground clearance, the Nissan kept bottoming out when we drove to attractions
I really missed the independent automatic temp controls. The person next to me would be too cold, the people in the back too hot. It felt like a constant job moving the temps up or down. With the HR-V, you just set in the temp people want, and you're done.
Parking, I had to drive past all the small spots the HR-V fits like a glove.
Road noise, the HR-V is quieter
Stereo in HR-V EX was better
Lanewatch camera was missed
Rear seat legroom (998 vs 917)

The Altima was a nice car, but nothing like coming home to my Honda HR-V!

post #5 of 5 Old 08-03-2016, 03:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay3rd View Post
Selden, BMW's were not designed to ride on trailers! Trailers were designed to haul one type of motorcycle...nope not going to complete that sentence and start the war.
Us (former and current) BMW riders know that you have to suffer and slog your way across Kansas in the 102 degree heat. There is no option for being comfortable, it is all about logging the miles.
Your trip would have made a good Bun Burner 1500 to begin your adventure.
By the way folks, this is all said in jest. Selden and I have chatted motorcycles before. And what a fantastic trip. I have gone to the Top of the Rockies rally. There is just so much great riding in Colorado.

RJ
IBA #62636
I test rode an 1100RT once and really liked it. Sounds fun!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda HR-V Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page