Episode #270 - 2016+ Honda HR-V Horn Upgrade Kit Installation - Page 2 - Honda HR-V Forum
User Tag List

9Likes

post #11 of 42 Old 08-25-2015, 01:45 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Ok, thanks

2016 EX AWD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 42 Old 08-26-2015, 07:50 PM
Sol

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
How do you remove the retaining clips that hold the lower splash shield without breaking anything? Do I need a special tool or just pull down on the splash shield?
post #13 of 42 Old 08-31-2015, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Vendor

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
You can use either a special clip puller or a flat tip screwdriver.

Paul Pacek - Parts Manager
1-855-299-7244

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #14 of 42 Old 09-01-2015, 11:08 PM

Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thead View Post
These look good and are cheap. I already put a stebel compact truck horn in my Hrv. But is a more involved install. Had to put a relay in because the horn requires separate wiring for a 20 amp fuse. But its loud and low freq. 300hz. The stock passenger side horn is tough to get to but these 2 horns should be pretty easy to install
The first mod I made to my Fit was to install a Nautilus air horn, which also requires a relay (as I found out when the car died a mile from home with a blown fuse).

These horns appear to be plug and play, which is a big deal, as I had to fabricate my own connectors for the Nautilus.

If I remember correctly, the 2009 Fit had only a single, wimpy horn, so in comparison the HR-V with dual horns is loud enough that I'm not immediately planning to do this.

An air horn on a small car really makes an impression when some distracted ditz on a cellphone decides to change lanes on you without looking.
post #15 of 42 Old 09-06-2015, 09:57 PM
Sol

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollegeHillsHonda View Post
Buy Yours Here! - http://www.collegehillshonda.com/product/DL162.html

Remove the meep, meep and upgrade to real sounding horns. These sport horns are designed to replace the stock Fit and HR-V horns. They are direct plug and play to make your installation a breeze. Low and High horns are included.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv4i-WA2JrE
Just replaced the horns today with the ones from College Hills Honda. The installation took a lot longer than I expected since on most other cars I have worked on the horns are readily accessible from the top. On the HR-V the passenger side horn is not even visible from the top.

You need to remove the right and left splash shields, don't bother removing the shield retainers in the center of the car. Even with the splash shields pushed aside it is quite awkward to get to the single bolt holding each horn particularly on the driver's side. That is why the video shows the bumper removed. Be careful not to bend the horn support brackets when removing the bolts. They are 12mm and quite snug.

The new horns sound like a "real" car and not like a toy. Well worth the effort.
cotonHRV and Tiramissu like this.
post #16 of 42 Old 09-07-2015, 07:40 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol View Post
Just replaced the horns today with the ones from College Hills Honda. The installation took a lot longer than I expected since on most other cars I have worked on the horns are readily accessible from the top. On the HR-V the passenger side horn is not even visible from the top.

You need to remove the right and left splash shields, don't bother removing the shield retainers in the center of the car. Even with the splash shields pushed aside it is quite awkward to get to the single bolt holding each horn particularly on the driver's side.
Your post is very timely. I also bought the horns, but are still in the box on my counter. Couple of questions to clarify:

On the HR-V the passenger side horn is not even visible from the top.
Can you see the driver's side horn from the top? if so can you change it from the top?

don't bother removing the shield retainers in the center of the car.

Can you please explain?

Even with the splash shields pushed aside it is quite awkward to get to the single bolt holding each horn particularly on the driver's side.

So, will it be easier to remove the front bumper?
post #17 of 42 Old 09-07-2015, 09:21 AM
Sol

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonHRV View Post
Your post is very timely. I also bought the horns, but are still in the box on my counter. Couple of questions to clarify:

On the HR-V the passenger side horn is not even visible from the top.
Can you see the driver's side horn from the top? if so can you change it from the top?

don't bother removing the shield retainers in the center of the car.

Can you please explain?

Even with the splash shields pushed aside it is quite awkward to get to the single bolt holding each horn particularly on the driver's side.

So, will it be easier to remove the front bumper?
Yes, you can see the drivers side horn from the top. Just shine a light down near the battery. The horn looks like a flat black disk about 4 inches in diameter held on a bracket with a wire connected to it. The problem is that it is located halfway between the top and bottom of the car and you really need to get both hands on it - one for the wrench and one to hold the horn assembly. If you just put a wrench on it the bracket will turn along with the bolt so detach the connector first (push in on the tab and pull it off). The bracket has a small alignment tang that sits in a hole in the frame. If you turn the bracket with the bolt, that tang will break off. That is what happened to me but not a big deal. The passenger side horn is much closer to the bottom of the car so I would suggest doing that one first to see how everything is put together.

There are many black round retainers that hold the splash shields in place. Just pry the center part of each retainer out with a couple of small screwdrivers then pull it out. It is similar to a wall anchor. There are actually 3 splash shields - right left and center. You only need to move the right and left shields aside so just remove the retainers that hold these along with the ends of the center shield (the retainer goes through both shields). You don't have to remove the retainers in the middle that only hold the center shield.

I also did not reuse the original brackets on the new horns since they are held on quite snugly. I did remove one of the two brackets that came with each horn and sanded off the paint by the mounting hole to get a good ground.

Definitely would be easier to change the horns with the front bumper off but I don't know how easy that is to do. After removing at least a dozen retainers from the bottom of the car there was still quite a few more holding the bumper on. The bumper appears to be part of the center splash shield. I would not recommend doing this unless you have other work to do in that area. Just take your time. The new sound is worth the effort.
post #18 of 42 Old 09-20-2015, 02:49 PM

Just replaced the driver side horn with the low tone. I'll probably leave the passenger side alone until I have more time. It's no longer MeeMee anymore, the front end vibrates when I use the new horn

2016 EX AWD
post #19 of 42 Old 09-20-2015, 03:11 PM

Ok, I see what I did wrong. The replacement is bigger than stock horn. It was in contact with the car frame and causing the vibrations. I bent the mounting bracket back so it's no longer in contact with the frame. It's much better now.

2016 EX AWD
post #20 of 42 Old 09-20-2015, 03:43 PM
Sol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einz View Post
Just replaced the driver side horn with the low tone. I'll probably leave the passenger side alone until I have more time. It's no longer MeeMee anymore, the front end vibrates when I use the new horn
The passenger side horn is easier to do than the drivers side. You can get to it fairly easily from the bottom after removing some of the shield.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda HR-V Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page