2Likes

post #11 of 30 Old 07-15-2016, 07:02 PM
JWB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden View Post

Watch the College Hills installation video, specifically, at the ~1:42 mark, where it says that complete removal of the bumper is not necessary.

That said, the driver's side horn is visible and appears to be fairly easy to reach from above, but the horn on the passenger side is under the windshield washer reservoir, which either has to be removed for access from above, or a panel behind the bumper needs to be removed to gain access from below.

I have ordered the horn kit, but I don't plan to install it until cooler weather arrives in the fall. One of my first mods on my 2009 Fit was to replace the wimpy OEM horn with a dual-tone air horn (which required a fused circuit from the battery and a relay to avoid blowing a fuse).
I am confident about the drivers side. The passenger side worries me, but I'll give it a go. I ordered it today along with the interior LED upgrade kit. I'm a pretty handy person, but I have no experience working on cars. I'll let you know how that goes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 30 Old 07-15-2016, 07:34 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
The access panel on the passenger side is easy to open and the horn is easy enough to reach. You need not worry about it.

On a related note, College Hills Honda, I really wish you'd offer more shipping options. Your lack of a USPS Priority option leaves me with only UPS ground shipping to Hawaii, and at $40.89 for this it just makes me want to /facepalm all day long. Your prices are always pretty good, but I've thrown my business to your competitors because of this, even tho their prices are often slightly higher. I'd have sent my business to you otherwise.
post #13 of 30 Old 07-15-2016, 07:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWB View Post
I am confident about the drivers side. The passenger side worries me, but I'll give it a go. I ordered it today along with the interior LED upgrade kit. I'm a pretty handy person, but I have no experience working on cars. I'll let you know how that goes.
I don't want the folks on this site to thing I'm getting paid off by College Honda... LOL. But the LED interior light kit is great too. Wait until you are in pitch dark and need to access groceries in the hatch with the LED. The dim yellow bulb was very disappointing. The LED lights the entire space up. I never use the mirror in the visors, but have used the LED light there to light up the cabin when I dropped my phone in between the seats. Another great product by the CH. Good luck with both installs. They're fun, easy mods that will give you the bug to tackle other changes.

post #14 of 30 Old 07-15-2016, 08:01 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Quote:
Please do, and provide photos, if possible.
post #15 of 30 Old 07-16-2016, 01:50 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Advocate View Post
I don't want the folks on this site to thing I'm getting paid off by College Honda... LOL. But the LED interior light kit is great too. Wait until you are in pitch dark and need to access groceries in the hatch with the LED. The dim yellow bulb was very disappointing. The LED lights the entire space up. I never use the mirror in the visors, but have used the LED light there to light up the cabin when I dropped my phone in between the seats. Another great product by the CH. Good luck with both installs. They're fun, easy mods that will give you the bug to tackle other changes.
I thought about going the Honda route with the LEDs but I think I'm going to put in a OPT7 kit or similar instead. I'd prefer to have control over the colors (prefer white over blue) and intensity as needed for the same basic price.
post #16 of 30 Old 07-26-2016, 01:41 PM
JWB

Could anyone post how to get to it without taking the bumper off or show how to take the bumper off? I'm looking under the hood and it seems impossible without being able to get down in there. I can tackle it if I know how to get to it.
post #17 of 30 Old 07-27-2016, 10:08 AM

Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Quote:
Could anyone post how to get to it without taking the bumper off or show how to take the bumper off? I'm looking under the hood and it seems impossible without being able to get down in there. I can tackle it if I know how to get to it.
The horn on the driver's side is accessible from the top. Getting to the horn on the passenger side requires removing a small panel between the front wheel and the bumper, so you access the horn from the bottom.
post #18 of 30 Old 07-27-2016, 06:15 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden View Post
The horn on the driver's side is accessible from the top. Getting to the horn on the passenger side requires removing a small panel between the front wheel and the bumper, so you access the horn from the bottom.
I tried reaching from the top on the driver's side, but in the 5-10 mins I spent it looked like it would be pretty tight with a socket wrench because of the cable going to the battery. (btw, what size is the bolt that holds the bracket in place?)

I'm also pretty concerned about passenger side. I've gotten into the panel to switch out the fog lights, but I can't imagine getting in there one handed and blind to put back the bolt and reattach the horn.

I like to consider myself fairly handy, but this install is a bit more tedious than this thread was letting on.
post #19 of 30 Old 07-27-2016, 06:52 PM
JWB

Did some more research and found these diagrams for removing the bumper. Looks tedious, but I might tackle it one day when it's not 95+ degrees outside like it's been here lately.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1469659857511.jpeg
Views:	65
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	19394   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1469659869088.jpeg
Views:	61
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	19402   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1469659929955.jpeg
Views:	60
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	19418  
post #20 of 30 Old 07-28-2016, 02:41 AM

Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred62s View Post
I tried reaching from the top on the driver's side, but in the 5-10 mins I spent it looked like it would be pretty tight with a socket wrench because of the cable going to the battery. (btw, what size is the bolt that holds the bracket in place?)

I'm also pretty concerned about passenger side. I've gotten into the panel to switch out the fog lights, but I can't imagine getting in there one handed and blind to put back the bolt and reattach the horn.

I like to consider myself fairly handy, but this install is a bit more tedious than this thread was letting on.
Driver side for me was the easiest. It is a bit tight but can be done. For the passenger side, I used the access panel for replacing the fog light bulb. You might need to remove few more fasteners for better access to the horn.

Initially, I only did the driver side, even one horn is better than any MeeMee. I didn't get around to do the passenger side until few weeks later.

2016 EX AWD

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda HR-V Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page