Horn Upgrade Special for a Limited Time! - Page 3 - Honda HR-V Forum
User Tag List

2Likes

post #21 of 30 Old 07-28-2016, 08:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Garage
Just got mine in the mail along with the Honda cargo net. Looking forward to installing both this weekend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 30 Old 07-28-2016, 02:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Garage
Just ordered the horns/interior light upgrades. I was getting made fun of last weekend by my buddy who couldn't hear my horn in his truck when we were on the freeway.

I agree that shipping is expensive though...$10 for cheapest option. Guess I'm spoiled by Amazon

Glad to have a company support the forum/community though, I'll support it back.

2016 HR-V EX 6MT - Purchased 4/14/16.

Behold: The Ninja Turtle
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 30 Old 07-29-2016, 09:15 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Einz View Post
Driver side for me was the easiest. It is a bit tight but can be done. For the passenger side, I used the access panel for replacing the fog light bulb. You might need to remove few more fasteners for better access to the horn.

Initially, I only did the driver side, even one horn is better than any MeeMee. I didn't get around to do the passenger side until few weeks later.
Got around to installing them today. Just wanted to give a breakdown for those interested.

Driver's side:
-It CAN be done from the top through the engine bay, but I had access issues with a standard socket wrench. It would have been really slow going if I kept going that route.
-While most bolts on the Honda are 10mm, the bolt attaching the bracket to the HRV itself is 12mm. The bolt attaching the bracket to the horn is 10mm.
-I found it easier to remove/install from the bottom access panel, a little tight but you can do it without needing to jack up the HRV.
-I only had to remove three fasteners (same ones you take out when changing the fog lights) and then found it easier to pull the panel down instead of up and back as shown in the manual.
-Once inside, there was a lot more space to swing the socket wrench and I was able to get the bolt out quickly.
-I found it easiest to unplug/replug the power to the horn from up above and then feed the bolt through the hole before going back to the access panel to tighten it up.
-The bracket runs vertical to the horn with the horn facing down.

Passenger side:
-I recommend watching the College Hills install video to give you an idea of the horn placement. It's actually easier to access from the bottom panel than the driver's side.
-It's not terribly difficult to unplug/replug the power with one hand and you might be able to squeeze both hands in there with enough access if needed.
-The bracket runs nearly horizontal to the horn with the horn facing down.

Other:
-Pay attention to the orientation of the horn and bracket to where it's mounted. By that I mean the horn logo should be facing the front of the car with the bracket behind it at the rear. It may sound obvious to some, but each horn is set up to go on a specific side so that mounting is possible with the power cable able to reach the connector. Again, watch the College Hills video and it will be perfectly clear.

The horn sounds GREAT!
CollegeHillsHonda likes this.

post #24 of 30 Old 07-30-2016, 07:47 AM
JWB

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred62s View Post

-I found it easier to remove/install from the bottom access panel, a little tight but you can do it without needing to jack up the HRV.
-I only had to remove three fasteners (same ones you take out when changing the fog lights) and then found it easier to pull the panel down instead of up and back as shown in the manual.
Is this the "access panel" that you are talking about?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1469879266039.jpeg
Views:	57
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	19450  
post #25 of 30 Old 07-30-2016, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWB View Post
Is this the "access panel" that you are talking about?
No, the panel I'm referring to is between the front fender and the wheel well.

Here's looking from the bottom of the HRV up on the driver's side fender:
post #26 of 30 Old 07-30-2016, 02:14 PM
JWB

Ok awesome! That looks much easier. Now I just need to wait patiently for the weather to cooperate.
post #27 of 30 Old 08-05-2016, 01:46 PM
JWB

I did it! Thank you so much for the panel info. It was easy from there and not nearly as bad as I had thought. I did do the drivers side from the top though.
post #28 of 30 Old 08-05-2016, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWB View Post
I did it! Thank you so much for the panel info. It was easy from there and not nearly as bad as I had thought. I did do the drivers side from the top though.
Glad to hear it was easy. How's it sounding?
post #29 of 30 Old 08-05-2016, 02:17 PM
JWB

Sounds like it fits the car much better. That little meep meep wasn't cutting it!
post #30 of 30 Old 10-27-2016, 06:12 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
With a return to cooler weather, I finally got around to doing this today, after someone tried changing into my lane without signaling. The OEM horns are rated at 110 dB; the replacements 115 dB, and even allowing for inflated claims, they are much louder.

A few notes based on other reports:

1. The cable guide on the left side of the battery is secured by a pull-off plastic "bolt" that only appears to be doing something with a 10mm wrench. Just pull up. Once it's out of the way, it's much easier to get a hand (or 2) in there.
2. The access port on the passenger side requires removing several push fasteners. Use 2 flat blade screwdrivers (or better yet, a tool specifically designed for this purpose).
3. I found that a small magnetic light inside the area on the right side was invaluable; even with light, a lot of the work is blind.
4. A gear head wrench works better than a socket on both sides. A stubby gear head wrench is even better.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda HR-V Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page