2Likes
  • 2 Post By OscarHRV

post #1 of 9 Old 05-24-2015, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thoughts of a Parent on the HR-V - AMA!

New Owner here, trying to get a real lay of the land with my HR-V! I've been experimenting with car seats, configurations, and a few other things that parents might find relevantly informational about this vehicle. I'll hit a few topics including car seats, cameras, and interior as well as vantage point of my children.

Quick intro here though: I'm a Father to Three young Children. I have a 5 Year old, a 2 Year Old, and a 1 Year Old. I'm a very busy Optometrist, I work 6 days a week, and on my 7th, I might as well be working because I'm helping out my wife, who works for our church. We have an Odyssey (2010) that we use for hauling our family around primarily, so this HR-V is NOT our primary car for day-to-day, it's mostly my commuter car and errands car, as well as car for Date-Nights with my wife.

Bought the car on Friday the 22nd and have been making every excuse to enjoy the drive in this vehicle that I can! I absolutely love this car. I've many other threads about other topics on this forum, so I'll limit this thread to only my experiences as a parent and how I feel about this car.

My feelings on the use of this car for a family are somewhat mixed. It's sporty, with some room to haul, though that may mean the reduction of seating capacity, which is usually not an option for families who use car seats. That said, let's move into car seats:

CAR SEATS:

This is really my biggest topic here, so hold your breath, here we go.

Configuration of car seats in this car are really not bad, however, fitting THREE STANDARD SEATS into the back of this car is an impossibility. My sweaty self couldn't make it work comfortably, without making me or my 5 year old have to do some serious arm gymnastics just to buckle in every time.

We have a Britax Marathon (2), a Graco Booster with High-Back, and a Cosco Scenera (lightweight travel seat), Links Below.

http://www.britaxusa.com/car-seats/marathon-70

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...:13069721:TRUS

http://www.walmart.com/ip/16932754?a...tRedirect=true

One Marathon 70, one High-Back Booster, and a Scenera cannot fit in the back seat. There is a deficit of about 1-2 inches to make it comfortable, even while one is rear-facing and the other two are front. The biggest problem is actually that the High-Back chair cannot easily be buckled in every time. I think that three regular seats MAY fit, if you were to get the correct seats and install them, but with standard seats, it is a difficult task.

This is just to make mention of the car seat issue simply because spending an additional $300 x 3 seats = $900 may be an unexpected cost for people looking to use this car to haul 3 children of car-seat age.

FYI, for those looking to fit three across, here's a good option:
http://clekinc.com/fllo/

x3 of course.

A very important note here is also headrests. The Headrests in the back do not remove easily (or at all from what I tried, though I may be able to remove the head rest by tilting the seat forward and getting some extra room to remove it. The reason I bring this up is that the headrests must be raised to the highest level in order to accommodate the car seat appropriately. Even in this case, you must then tuck the car seat backing UNDER the back of the headrest to have it positioned right. While driving, the headrests then obstruct your rear view through the window significantly, taking out almost 30% of your total view when two headrests are up. I'll experiment with this later, but in the manual, it does say to simply raise the headrests up before installing the seats, which is what I did. Upon reflection, I should probably have removed them entirely. I'll try this tomorrow.

I decided later to install two of my car seats and take my 5 and 2 year olds out for a ride, more on this later.

CAMERAS:

Oh BOY Cameras! The Rear Cam is standard equipment on all trim levels, but on the EX and EX-L trims, you also get Honda Lane Watch. I'll say that this is an unexpected boon for me. I was expecting it to be annoying and somewhat distracting, but I find it totally useful, and anything that increases the safety of my family gets a big thumbs up in my book.

Having a Rear Cam is no big deal anymore as pretty much all major manufacturers are putting them on their cars these days, but the side cam allows you to have extra info, extra views, and the ability to turn it on and off as desired is pretty slick!

One small problem with the LaneWatch cam is that at night time, the depth and distance is really hard to judge because you really only have headlights coming at you and the resolution and clarity of the picture become grainy and harder to read. I'd probably rather just turn my head as I normally would otherwise.

INTERIOR:

I have the cloth seats, and since I opted for the Deep Ocean Pearl, I got the Gray interior (which is really more of a Beige in my opinion, but what do I know). Interior materials are super important for me as a parent because, let's be honest, kids are filthy. My kids are no exception, and as luck would have it, I had an opportunity to inadvertently test the upholstery against my toddler's muddy shoes. That's right, my BRAND NEW HR-V with LIGHT COLORED INTERIOR got trampled inside by my toddler in muddy, wet shoes.

Before you have an aneurysm and die like I nearly did, a wipe down with paper towels and some really light scrubbing (without solvents, just dry) took the mud right off the cloth! not even a trace behind, I'll say I'm stupefied at how well this upholstery resisted the mud stains from my son. Now the crumbs that I couldn't jiggle out of their seats that still somehow ended up on my seats and floor are another matter entirely...

KID VIEWPOINT:

Loading and unloading the kids was actually a real breeze. My 5 year old could hop out really easy and even my 2 year old could jump out of the car unassisted (Maybe a bad thing??) On the contrary, my 2 year old does need help getting out of the Odyssey because it's a little clumsier for him though I'm not sure it has anything to do with height because they're probably very similar in height... Maybe the Ody is a little higher up?

Alright I'm running out of stuff to say here. I'm sure I'll continue to post with more experiences and share them as they come! Good luck out there all you prospective buyers and congratulations all you new owners! This is one amazing car!
akiranyc and amanda_cake like this.

Last edited by OscarHRV; 05-24-2015 at 10:56 PM. Reason: adding content
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-25-2015, 03:40 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
This is awesome! I'm not a parent, but I now have a baby nephew and i take kids i used to nanny out for fun adventures, so being able to fit car seats and handle kid messes is a must!
post #3 of 9 Old 05-26-2015, 08:01 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks! I hope it all works out for you! For one or two kids it's super easy! Took my two boys ages 5 and 2 out for a drive the other day. Was nice not having the Minivan for a change, although I really love my Ody, I'm head over heels for this HR-V!

post #4 of 9 Old 05-28-2015, 08:58 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
So the headrests do remove but you need to take them off before adding in the child car seats. There isn't enough clearance to remove them unless you fold the seat slightly.
post #5 of 9 Old 05-29-2015, 09:12 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarHRV View Post
So the headrests do remove but you need to take them off before adding in the child car seats. There isn't enough clearance to remove them unless you fold the seat slightly.
Many thanks for your review on the HRV!

I'm a parent to a 3 year old and I was very concerned about the ability to put in a seat for my boy and have enough room for myself and the MRS.

Good to hear about the headrests coming off in the HRV. I did that for the wife's CRV and it helped tremendously in looking out the back.

Did you use the latch system? I found while the latch system is great in the CRV, it's hard to have adults in the back seats too since the car seat blocks the other seatbelts.

Now on to the test drive with confidence!
post #6 of 9 Old 05-29-2015, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Fitting one child is easy in this car. I would recommend passenger side simply because removing driver side may result in taking child out street side, which could be riskier. The seat behind driver is also a bigger fold down, so using passenger side for baby will allow you to have more potential cargo space when needed without having to play musical chairs.

Congrats on the baby by the way! Parenthood is grand! The car is amazing even with two kids just be aware that the latch isn't what will makes extra passengers have a hard time buckling in, it's the size of the seat itself.
post #7 of 9 Old 02-14-2016, 05:04 PM
Dan

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have three kids also. One in a car seat and the other two in boosters. Is the HRV big enough for that?
post #8 of 9 Old 10-19-2016, 07:35 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hey there guys and gals.
New 2017 owner here and I just wanted to chime in on my headrest + carseat fix...
Install the headrest backwards!

THey don't click into place but it works.
post #9 of 9 Old 10-20-2016, 07:12 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Garage
Interesting...and then it keeps the muddy footprints off the part where your head goes! Thanks for the suggestion Louie, I'll soon be transporting a small child in my car (not mine, niece)

2016 HR-V EX 6MT - Purchased 4/14/16.

Behold: The Ninja Turtle
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda HR-V Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page