(late) June 2016 Test Drive: EX CVT - Honda HR-V Forum
User Tag List

post #1 of 6 Old 07-06-2016, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
(late) June 2016 Test Drive: EX CVT

just chiming in now, i know this thread is old but i have been on the hunt between the CX-3, Soul, and the HR-V recently. drove the EX CVT. i am 5'9", 180lbs.

- fabric seats were comfortable, though i don't know if that was just the thrill of being in a new cockpit. have heard there was poor thigh support for taller ppl, but it seemed fine for me. manual pump adjustment, really dig that.

- stock entertainment and environmental touch screens were all fine to touch, though the former had some lag to it and the UI is not elegantly designed, or particularly intuitive.

- gauges were pretty sexy

- floating centre console: heard some ppl griping abt placement of USB slots, but i think Honda is GENIUS keeping that stuff out the way. who's going to be swapping out USB sticks in the middle of traffic, etc. anyway?

- up front visibility was great. but even with the mirrors turned all the way out, and the right side camera view, i am a bit worried about the C pillar. not so much about changing lanes, but more like parking in stalls or parallel, especially at night, and those windows are tinted. something a bit disconcerting about that chunky C pillar

- back-up camera was fine. test was during the day, so not sure how the back-up lights are in terms of assisting. and again, the C pillar thing.

- back seat room as everyone knows is insane. i had a lengthy conversation with the dealer sitting back there. surprisingly comfortable.

- the flimsy foldable hatch cover is kind of ridiculous, esp at MSRP

- drove some quiet local roads, a poorly paved section, a rail road crossing. suspension wise i would say that i felt the road enough to not care that i wasn't really feeling the road, if you know what i mean.

- highway driving: the CVT sucked less than i thought. and repeatedly i was catching myself going over 10-20kms over the speed limit, without even noticing. passed cars with ease. there was no "thrill", but it was done perfectly fine. i'm assuming the MT model will be able to get a bit more juice from the same engine.

- i was able to carry a regular conversation with the dealer totally fine while cruising on the highway. road noise was not an issue.

- drive experience is like a sedan or coupe, maybe a stiffer compact. this is coming from years of daily driving subcompacts. forgot to take it into a parking lot where i could test out turning radius, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-06-2016, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
sorry, can't seem to edit posts in this forum?

just wanted to add:

- Brake Assist was a WEIRD sensation.
- will have to relearn drifting with that e-brake, haha

but i guess that's technology moving ahead.
post #3 of 6 Old 07-06-2016, 05:17 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMRadio View Post
sorry, can't seem to edit posts in this forum?

just wanted to add:

- Brake Assist was a WEIRD sensation.
- will have to relearn drifting with that e-brake, haha

but i guess that's technology moving ahead.
New users have to post something like 5 times before they can edit posts.

By "brake assist" I assume you mean the brake hold feature. It takes some getting used to, but eventually you learn to trust it. Every time I have driven another car since buying the HR-V last year, I have missed this feature.

post #4 of 6 Old 07-06-2016, 10:02 PM

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden View Post
New users have to post something like 5 times before they can edit posts.

By "brake assist" I assume you mean the brake hold feature. It takes some getting used to, but eventually you learn to trust it. Every time I have driven another car since buying the HR-V last year, I have missed this feature.
Brake assist is when the car increases braking pressure in an emergency stop situation. Get up to speed and slam the brakes - and see what the car does

2016 HR-V EX in Modern Steel Metallic
post #5 of 6 Old 07-06-2016, 10:11 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Hi AMRadio! Glad you had a chance to go for a test drive and enjoyed the EX-CVT. I have an LX FWD-CVT and really enjoy it so far - only owned my HRV for 12 days but I too find similar findings that you mention, with some differences.....

-seats I find comfortable - I am 5'7" - 135 lb female- enough adjustment choices to be comfortable
-gauges are awesome - well laid out and easy to read and looks really nice too
- touch screens I find are fine - for A/C no issues at all. I use the steering wheel controls for the radio and bluetooth - very useful I think even though the touch screen is still okay to use
-I like the console - very sleek and it does hide everything
-re: visibility I find it is really good for front, side and rear views and for me the C pillar does not seem to be a problem, but I don't have the right hand mirror camera like the EX model so it could be different? I find when doing a shoulder check I have very good visibility and the backup camera works very well - I am in a very tight parking spot with a concrete pillar on my right side and have no problems backing up. The camera at night seems very clear to me so far as well. The LX model does not have the tinted rear window so perhaps that makes a difference for visibility - maybe other members will comment and give more feedback
- I had an older Honda Fit that I traded for my HRV and I find the HRV just as good or even better for visibility especially with the higher ride position
- re: Cargo cover - LX model does not come with one and I did not purchase - MSRP is nuts - I hope it will come down in price eventually or if I can find an aftermarket version?
- re: ride/noise/CVT - I thoroughly enjoy the ride....yes you feel the road a bit, but it is not noisy in the cabin to me at all and quite smooth on the highway in particular. I really like the ride and the CVT is not a problem for highway driving and city driving is a breeze - love the Econ button I am not a speed demon but still more than enough power to feel comfortable
-have not used the brake assist yet....but I love the parking brake - it is cool!

Well that is my 2 cents! Just wanted to share too

Hope you are able to find the car of your wishes - maybe it will be the HRV!

Cheers!
post #6 of 6 Old 07-07-2016, 06:14 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbhonda View Post
Brake assist is when the car increases braking pressure in an emergency stop situation. Get up to speed and slam the brakes - and see what the car does
I have had only one emergency stop, when a pickup truck started to change lanes on me without signalling. I didn't notice anything different — just thankful that the ABS did its job, and we were able to get out of his way without contact.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda HR-V Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page