1Likes
  • 1 Post By SCOUSEinOZ

post #1 of 7 Old 11-23-2016, 02:12 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
1 Month Test Drive Report from Malaysia

Bought the HRV V Spec ( Its the highest spec available in Malaysia )
I collected the car around this date last month.

I have since clocked close to 4000km's on it.
First servicing done.

My city driving mileage would be approximately 800Km's.
The rest is long distance travelling of 250 to 500Km per drive.

My post would be reflective only of my opinion driving the car at this point in time, so that the excitement bias of a new car can be excluded from this review as much as possible. New love, fart doesnt stink n all that.

Right.

Overall?
A nice car.
All rounded acceptable performance if we are to keep in mind that its an entry level SUV.
Need to compromise in certain areas.

Seating - Semi leather seats. ( Review for the front seats only, especially drivers. )
Nothing to brag about, does a decent job of providing comfortable seating even on drives that lasted close to 10 hours.
Is it comfy? No. It isnt a sofa.
Does it do the job reasonably well? Definitely Yes.

Seats.
5 Hours ride on front passenger seat.
The rest of it was on the drivers seat.

Things to note on the front seats -
1. Back rest is a tad too straight, preventing neck support if the driver is on the heavy side.
2. If you are under 6'2'', or you are 6'2'' and above but you are blessed with short stumpy legs and you dont like high heels, than you are going to have a problem a year or so down the lane.

The car is higher than a normal sedan, and if you like to pump your seats to the maximum height while driving like me when, than you are going to find that your legs do not touch the ground when you are hopping out of the car.

And since the car does not come with a side step plate, you are going to sort of put one foot out and slide your posterior over the edge of the seat.

So whats the problem?
Well the seats come with raised sides, unlike the sedans of yesteryear's.
Keep sliding off it and soon the leather is going to wear off, the foam is going to crumple and if you are really unlucky, a rivet from your well worn jeans is going to rip it open.

I am thinking of covering it with some heavy duty seat cover, or a top pillow.
Adding side step plates so that I could step on it and raise my bum out of the car like a proper gentleman would be my last resort as I feel it messes up the nice lines of the car's exterior, but I will do so if the only two choices left are adding side step plates or lowering the seat. Heck!, one of the nice things about this car is the ride height.

That's all I have to say about the front seats for now.

I cannot comment on the backseats as I have not sat behind for a ride to date.

( Will add to this when I have the time. )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-23-2016, 05:46 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
1 Month Test Drive Report from Malaysia ( Audio Review )

I came back to continue on posting my thoughts on the HRV.
I than realised I could not find the edit icon for my earlier post. ( It could be missing or I could not locate it, being the noob I am )
It than reminded me I could not find the Navigation menu on my HRV's 7 inch Touch Screen either.

Both were shockers. ( Still couldnt find the icon, hence a reply to the thread in continuation of my review. )
Only a few exceptions to the similarity of the situation here.

The missing Icon could be missing cause I could not find it.
It means it could be there, somewhere, its just that I couldn't locate it.

Now compare that with the missing Navigation menu.
The missing Navigation menu is missing because its not there.

7 inch display with so many exotic and futuristic bells and whistles.
For an example? Try to beat a single disc CD player.
Can you believe that?
My 2016 HRV player has a CD player!

But no Navigation.
Nope sir, not that outdated tech.
I mean who uses navigation these days?
Man that's so millennial.

Not for the Malaysian masses.
Especially when every city has atleast a dozen different traffic lay out,
24 different master plans,
and 36 different road design concepts all in one city,
which really depends on who developed that particular suburb or god forbid, that town.

Driving from one location to another location inside a town like Kuala Lumpur or Johor Bahru with the aid of sign boards is like a city slicker navigating his way through thick virgin rain forest by observing the direction of moth growth on tree trunks.

Half of the signboards inner city could as well as been pointing towards the capital of Timbuktu and the other half have yet to be replaced after being stolen and sold off by the scrap metal dealers when the price of scrap metal skyrocketed during the Chinese Olympic construction frenzy.

So why on earth would Malaysian need Navigation in their top spec HRV?

This, in my opinion renders the 7 inch display system as one large fancy fingerprint and dust magnet.
The only consolation is that the display unit also doubles up as your reverse camera monitor.
It would be a pain to reverse park otherwise, really.

What made it so sour for me was that I did not check if the system included Navigation.
I sort of assumed it would.
I know I know, I should have had alarm bells ringing when the **** thing came with a CD player.

Well lets not despair over such a trivial overlook now shall we?
Lets look at the good parts of the Audio unit.

System comes with a 6 speaker setup.
It can play music via bluetooth, a flash drive ( Havent tried this one yet but I will still thank the Gods of Honda that they didnt think that playing music through a flash drive was so outdated ).

Did I mention that it can spin a CD?
You can even eject the CD when the car is switched off!

It is suppose to have a few more bells and whistles that I have not fully had the time to explore, but lets bundle all these unexplored might exist might not exist in the Malaysian spec extras and save it inside the Plus Point folder.

ANNNNNNnnnnnnnnnnnDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

THE VERDICT ISSSSSS!!

Disappointing.

The sound absolutely sucks.
Absolutely sucks.

Matter of fact, I have not heard such a muffled, lethargic, uninspiring, multiple sound defect system in a long time.
And when I say a long time, I would say I am talking about the time when cars came with cassette players.

I am very sure that if one was to test the systems on the midspec and the low spec variants available in the Malaysian market, it would sound better. I am sure of this despite the fact I have never listened to the set up which comes with the mid and low spec units because the sound could not get any worst than the one produced by the 7 Inch 6 speaker player.

The low end is muddy, the high end is screechy and the mid is flat with most of the details not there at all.

How bad is it?
Well I am not an audiophile but I have always had a decent player in the car.
But you cant miss how awful the sound is if you paid a little attention to it.

No really, how bad is it?
Well I have yet to do any changes to the stock car, so my priority list was extra security lock, the modulo bodykit, the boot tray and finally changing the reflective strip on the rear bumper to LED lights.

That list has gone out of the window and I am currently looking to change all 6 speakers on the car, and if I am not able to avoid it, add an amp or two to drive those speakers.

I hope that its sufficient.
I pray that it is.

Because if this doesnt work, than the only recourse left is to change the player itself.
Which means I just flushed down a load of good money buying premium spec.
Which means I have to now spend my time and more money to try to minimise the number of functions I will loose if I replace the 7 inch stock player.

Reverse camera, steering wheel switches for answering calls etc.

What about phone connectivity, Honda Apps etc you ask ?

Oh I wouldnt worry about that.
Trust me, I really wouldnt fret about it.

Most of the stuff doesnt do half of what it is suppose to do stock right out of the box anyway.
Not unless you spend countless hours on the internet trying 3 or 4 different things to get it working.
Half way working.

Not fully functional to even the most basic level which you thought the salesperson or the brochure or the website claimed.

Oh, before we have any Apple Fan Boys claim superiority over Android users over the compatibility and connectivity of Iphones, I have to break your bubble by saying that the 7 inch player is equally bug infested regardless of which make you are pairing it with.

The 7 inch player performs very poorly when paired with mobile devices.
Period.

So there you have it.

Premium spec 7 inch multi nonsense player is not worth the money.

The only problem is, buyers in countries like Malaysia do not have an option to exclude it from their package.
The specification for the 3 classes available is quite rigid.

So if you are thinking of buying an HRV and havent decided what spec to go for, my advice is exclude the 7 inch player from your equation.
No I take that back.
I would say include the 7 inch player in the negative list when you are weighing in your options.

I think I will write about driving the car in my next update, split into a few sections ofcause.
I will most probably talk about "How quiet the car is" sales pitch.

Till my next update, enjoy the drive and stay safe on the roads folks.
post #3 of 7 Old 11-24-2016, 02:37 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Did I mention how bright the LED headlights are?

The LED lights really shine white.
I did a drive up to hill station on my first long haul trip in the HRV.

It was a very winding 60 odd kilometer drive through heavily wooded areas with no street lights along most of the stretch, and I have to say the headlights really did shine.

Whats impressive is not only how white the lights were, but also how strong and how far its reach was.
Driving on Malaysian highways at night, one would often have to keep a very sharp eye out for trailer trucks and heavy vehicles crawling at 25 or 35km/h on the left lane in absolute pitch dark conditions.
And often these would be the older trucks with brake lights that were made from the 1950's.
Often, one has to brake really hard when they suddenly find themselves doing 110 or 120km/h and one of these vehicles just suddenly appear in front of you.
The LED's on the HRV is so good that you are fine cruising along 110km/h to 130km/h and not worry that you wont have sufficient time to stop if something was in front of you.

The lights do reach out a fair distance.

I used to not prefer driving at night on the highways because I find it much more tiring because of having to be extra alert.
Switch on the fog lamps together with the headlights and even the lighting balance it achieves makes you wait till the sun go down before resuming your journey.
Matter of fact, most of my driving in this car was done at night on highways.

I was wondering if my opinion on the lights is tainted by the fact that I have only driven cars with Halogen lights to date?
Than I pulled up beside a current continental sedan at the traffic lights.

Nope no bias at all.
The light did outshine the sedans.

The LED's are definitely a plus point.

post #4 of 7 Old 11-24-2016, 04:00 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Once you get past your tenth post Velu, then you'll be able to edit etc, but I'd keep your posts a bit shorter otherwise - zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
cotonHRV likes this.

2016 HR-V VTi-L Modern Steel
post #5 of 7 Old 11-28-2016, 04:43 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOUSEinOZ View Post
Once you get past your tenth post Velu, then you'll be able to edit etc, but I'd keep your posts a bit shorter otherwise - zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Sorry if its very long chief.

I just type as I go.
post #6 of 7 Old 12-06-2016, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Was not able to continue last week due to work and other commitments.

In the mean time I have just added around 400kms to the odometer.

As I have had the car longer, I started taking notice of more things about the HRV.

I have not even flipped a single page of the manual as yet but thats a different story.

The ride comfort is 5/10.

Not to say that its not comfortable. It really depends on the sort of surface you are driving on.

7/10 when you are doing about 110 or 120km/h on fresh tarmac. Very quiet and smooth.
Whole different story when you hit a patch of old tarmac. The worn out type thats rough.
The noise than starts to get annoying.

Loud and intrusive.

Since HRV is essentially a beefed up Honda FIT platform, dont expect the suspension to soak up all the bumps and potholes on the road like how a proper SUV is expected too.

Matter of fact brake too late before going over a speed hump and be assured that the suspension will bottom out.

Ride is stiff and uncomfortable on uneven roads for those who like to maintain speed on uneven roads or road imperfections.
The poised, quiet comfortable ride characteristics goes out the window the moment I encounter less than perfect road conditions.

Anyway wind noise through the side mirror door area is prevalent when one drives above 140km/h. You cant miss it.

And finally, as far as cabin comfort goes, the front doors have started creaking.
Yes you read it right.
It creaks when you drive up ramps, or multistory car parks.
At first it was the passenger door.
Now the creak is also coming from the driver side window sills.

I have read quite a few posts online where owners of other makes and models of Honda experience the same issue and they put it down to greasing the door hinges to fix this issue.

I have not gone to the service centre as yet.
Even if I do, I expect to only find deaf technicians at work.

The ride comfort is fine for those who are light on the gas and are gentle over rough roads.
Its not a car for those who think it will maintain poise and grace like a lexus or a merc hitting rough roads.
post #7 of 7 Old 12-07-2016, 09:53 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Garage
There are different features in different markets, but Navigation is an option on the high end EX-L version in the USA.

You're lucky to have the LED headlights, we didn't get that option.

Never had a problem jumping out of my car or touching the ground (a flip down step...really?), but then again I'm a tall guy. I love how the seats hug you, but I do wonder if they'll stay as stiff as they are throughout the life of the car.

Bottoming out the suspension? Never come close...and that includes running over a 4x4" post on the freeway doing 70MPH this week.

But to your last point...no, it's not anything like the ride or acceleration or "poise and grace" of a Lexus...it's half the price!

2016 HR-V EX 6MT - Purchased 4/14/16.

Behold: The Ninja Turtle
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda HR-V Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page