1Likes

post #1 of 23 Old 03-08-2017, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question High fuel consumption

Hi Everybody,
I see that there is a lot of discussion on this topic. I am the owner of a 2016 Honda HRV AWD 1.8 petrol engine, and my issue is also poor mileage. At 70mph only on the highway and cruise control I average 22.4mpg (measuring what the actual consumption is, not what its displaying) And i travel the same flat route often, so its not a one time measure. Its the same with eco on or off, outside temp doesn't noticeably affect this. City driving is even worse, around 19mpg. My HRV has 18000 miles on it, and I've owned it from 10miles. The best that I've ever gotten is 28mpg . My biggest problem is that I've exported it to Europe, and no dealer knows much about the US model. Does anyone have any recommendation on what i could do to lower the consumption? A big part of why i bought the HRV is because of the small engine and so-called low consumption.
Thank you
Nikola
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 03-08-2017, 02:31 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Garage
I swear when that little blue light that comes on when the engine is cold, it is also an indicator that your MPG is taking a big hit. I've noticed huge differences in MPG with running at temps 40F below and 60F and above. I see you mentioned that the temp didn't seem to make a difference. Does the climate where you are dip below 40F? I don't think the HR-V is ideal for MPG on the highway either. Even though it's rated in the low 30's, in reality the average speed most of us travel on the highway is much higher than what is used for testing. HR-V constantly needs throttle adjustment to keep speeds of 70 or above on any hilly/graded highways. I rarely average abouve 30 on the highway and I travel between 70-75 mph. My daily commute is all backroads with little stopping, ideal for MPG. Above 60f i can average over 40mpg, below 40f I struggle to average over 30mpg.
post #3 of 23 Old 03-08-2017, 02:56 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
To bad you didn't buy it in Europe, with their amazing diesel which gets great mpg.
I don't know in Europe, but in much of North America, you have winter gas, that gets lower mpg.
Driving over 60mpg definitely drops your mpg.
And in the winter, the cold air is denser, which drops your mpg, especially with less aerodynamic cars like the HR-V.

Make sure your tire pressure is at the upper end, but there may not be a big reason why yours is so low.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 23 Old 03-08-2017, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
That's the thing, it goes below 40, but the average temp is not 40, and it really make a tiny difference whether its 30F or 70F as far as consumption goes. And also the route that i take is in Croatia, which is mostly very flat, very few to no hills. Even if i give the wind factor a few miles from the mpg, I've never gotten anything better than 26mpg city, highway, low speeds, high speeds. I can't find anything in common for the past 1,5years that could be the culprit for the high consumption.
post #5 of 23 Old 03-08-2017, 03:08 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Are you carrying a lot of extra cargo in the back seat or cargo area? Just a thought. The tire pressure post was a good one.
post #6 of 23 Old 03-08-2017, 03:15 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I have the 1.5 petrol engine in the UK and my average MPG since new is in my signature.

HR-V 1.5 i-VTEC EX. Manual. Brilliant Sporty Blue Metallic.
post #7 of 23 Old 03-08-2017, 05:06 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Garage
Interesting read.

Cold Weather MPG effects

I've dropped close to 20% on MPG this winter. All other vehicles I've owned, I hardly noticed a difference. In fact, my previous MINI got better gas mileage as it made the turbo run more efficient and had less resistance with winter tires vs summer tires. 20% seems a bit excessive with my commute. I don't warm up the car, I don't go over 45, so denser air shouldn't effect too much. The other factors may contribute but I'm having a hard time believing it would decrease my MPG by that much. Not that 26mpg is bad just wondering if things aren't running the way the should be when the engine is cold. The motor oil viscosity is thin compared to other vehicles I've owned as well. Would the cold air effect the thinner viscosity more? I would think a thinner viscosity would help....things to ponder.
post #8 of 23 Old 03-09-2017, 11:21 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Most cars don't go into a closed loop feedback to control fuel delivery until the car is warmed up to a preset temp ( i think 180F for these engines ) - during open loop they tend to spray more fuel based upon a preset program, than an actual sensor feedback.
There will always be less MPG becasue of this.

I have my HR-V since Dec 31- and so far I have 19.3 avg MPG for the first 2 months of ownership.
post #9 of 23 Old 03-09-2017, 03:46 PM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Garage
19.3? Holy crap, never seen that low ever!

I've been flogging the crap out of mine in low temps and have never gotten it below 26 in cold weather on a trip over 15 minutes.

My one year average over 20k miles is 31mpg,have gotten as high as 42 on a long trip.

I agree with above, tire pressure and gas ingredients may make a difference, but it sure sounds like something wrong.

You haven't mentioned what your average trip length is. Short trips murder mileage

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

2016 HR-V EX 6MT - Purchased 4/14/16.

Behold: The Ninja Turtle

post #10 of 23 Old 03-09-2017, 04:37 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
9 mile commute - traffic is rough and slow way too much - I think its slightly lower MPG than I expected but the car is still new - 1400 miles so far. I had a civic with the r18 and 5 speed AUTO trans- I think it was about 26 MPG for the same basic routes, and the car was well broken in.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda HR-V Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page