User Tag List

1Likes

post #1 of 12 Old 11-23-2015, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Transmission Fluid

Anyone know where to check the transmission fluid. Located the fill port, but cannot find the dipstick for ATF
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 11-23-2015, 03:08 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
I don't think there is one. From page 396 of the owner's manual:

Transmission Fluid

Continuously variable transmission models
Have a dealer check the fluid level and replace if necessary.
post #3 of 12 Old 11-23-2015, 05:07 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
There is not a dip stick. There is a fill hole where the dipstick should/would be and a bolt on the side of the trans. Take it out , fill until fluid comes out . replace bolt, done.
Arjay3rd likes this.

post #4 of 12 Old 05-04-2016, 04:40 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It's a closed tranmission. So if we fill in the fluid until it comes out of the fill hole, the fluid level is sufficient.
post #5 of 12 Old 05-04-2016, 10:49 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewie View Post
It's a closed tranmission. So if we fill in the fluid until it comes out of the fill hole, the fluid level is sufficient.
actually there are 2 plugs and 1 fill hole. I am not so sure that you should fill it til the it leaks the fill hole since it is all the way at the top.
post #6 of 12 Old 05-05-2016, 04:36 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
CVT Fluid Replace

General Directions: Must be done on level ground, so on jacks not a ramp. There is a drain plug, fill plug, and check bolt. Run car to warm up. Replace washers along the way.

1. Make sure fill plug can be loosened. (if it is seized and you drain fluid, there will be no way to re-fill and you will be stuck)

2. Remove Drain plug. Drain. Re-install Plug.

3. Remove Fill plug. Fill with recommended amount of generation 2 Honda CVT fluid. Re-install fill plug.

4. Turn on engine and move gear shifter through all the gears and return to park. Shut off engine.

5. Remove check bolt. If a slow drip of fluid occurs, you are done. If no drip, add more fluid. If steady stream, continue to collect until a slow drip begins. Re-install check bolt.

Our '07 Civic seems to need a fluid change (standard AT) ~ every 20,000 miles and would be relatively easier than the closed HRV CVT. I expect to change our HRV CVT fluid for the first time at about that interval.
post #7 of 12 Old 08-31-2016, 04:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
FYI:

Page 396 off the manual. Specified Fluid Honda HCF-2 Transmission fluid.
post #8 of 12 Old 08-31-2016, 06:54 PM

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickg5 View Post
FYI:

Page 396 off the manual. Specified Fluid Honda HCF-2 Transmission fluid.
Good catch!
post #9 of 12 Old 08-31-2016, 09:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Maintenance Minder, Sub Item, Code 4 under normal conditions.

Manual also says change transmission fluid at 25K miles under extreme conditions: mountainous areas, trailer towing ... What? Trailer towing?

What about trailer towing in snowy mountainous areas

2016 AWD EX-L HR-V (Hers)
2017 AWD iActiveSense GT CX-3 (His)
post #10 of 12 Old 12-22-2016, 08:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello to the forum - my first post here. I have a 2016 HR-V FWD and daughter has a 2016 HR-V AWD. So I get to work on two HR-Vs. Been working on cars a long time tho so no problem, although a service manual would be nice!

I changed the CVT fluid today in the daughter's HR-V for the first time at 30,000 miles. Followed the detailed procedure above (Thank You rameymb!). Drained the fluid and put in 4.2 quarts of HCF-2. Started it up and ran through the gears. Shut it down and pulled the check plug and 10 oz of fluid ran out before it slowed to a drip. It was sitting level in the garage.

Baffled, I measured the fluid drained out and sure enough it was a bit over 4.2 quarts. So I ended up putting the check plug back in and adding 10 oz of fluid.

Still confused though. One possibility is the check plug is at the same level as the non-AWD, which is supposed to take 3.8 quarts. The other is maybe the engine needs to be running when checking the level. I read somewhere else on this or another forum that the engine should be running when pulling the check plug. I know conventional transmissions need to be running in park when checking the fluid level.

So hoping for an expert here. Has anyone had this experience or know what might be going on?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda HR-V Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page