User Tag List

5Likes

post #1 of 11 Old 11-02-2016, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Paint Chips....ARGHH!

Well...I went over a big patch of stones after we had some serious rain. Noticed a few days later, I had 5 rock chips (sucks!) One was a semi-decent size, the others were tiny. Also noticed some idiot with their car door banged into mine & created a nice 1.5" scratch.

I was going to buy a tube of Honda Milano Red touch-up paint ($12.00) I poked around the web & found this product here:

http://www.drcolorchip.com/

This product is simply AMAZING!!! Yes...It's a tad expensive ($50.00) but well worth it. The color match was dead-on & it was a breeze to work with. The best part is the results. It blows away tube touch-up paint. Now you really have to try hard to see the chips. I'll post some pics. No I don't work for them if anyone is wondering. Just wanted to pass this along.

Hope this might help.

2016 Honda HR-V EX Milano Red w/ Black Leather Seats (Red Stitching)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-02-2016, 06:06 PM

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MASS-Honda View Post
Well...I went over a big patch of stones after we had some serious rain. Noticed a few days later, I had 5 rock chips (sucks!) One was a semi-decent size, the others were tiny. Also noticed some idiot with their car door banged into mine & created a nice 1.5" scratch.

I was going to buy a tube of Honda Milano Red touch-up paint ($12.00) I poked around the web & found this product here:

http://www.drcolorchip.com/

This product is simply AMAZING!!! Yes...It's a tad expensive ($50.00) but well worth it. The color match was dead-on & it was a breeze to work with. The best part is the results. It blows away tube touch-up paint. Now you really have to try hard to see the chips. I'll post some pics. No I don't work for them if anyone is wondering. Just wanted to pass this along.

Hope this might help.
sucks about all the rock chips. One of the first things I did when I got Snowball was put a clear bra on her. Our hood still looks brand new and I highly recommend them.

White Orchid Pearl EX-L with Navigation
post #3 of 11 Old 11-02-2016, 08:47 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have two chips to touch up, does anyone know if this touch up paint will work with a ceramic coating?

post #4 of 11 Old 11-03-2016, 08:21 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
sucks about all the rock chips. One of the first things I did when I got Snowball was put a clear bra on her. Our hood still looks brand new and I highly recommend them.
Funny you mention that. On my last car (VW Jetta TDI) I did the same exact thing. Here's what happened....Over the years the clear bra was curling @ the ends. Brought it to my local detailer to take it off & wax my car. When he pulled it off it took some paint with it!!!

I still have my Jetta TDI in the driveway because I thought VW might buy back ours. They are & I'm getting $14,500 for her. This is from the VW diesel scandal.
rodnerbear likes this.

post #5 of 11 Old 11-03-2016, 01:40 PM

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Thanks for the rec, I've got a bunch of chips and have been wondering if I should buy the OEM paint or not.

2016 HR-V EX in Modern Steel Metallic
post #6 of 11 Old 11-04-2016, 02:46 PM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Garage
Their stuff works great! Used it before and loved it.

What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you!
post #7 of 11 Old 11-06-2016, 04:41 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Funny you mention that. On my last car (VW Jetta TDI) I did the same exact thing. Here's what happened....Over the years the clear bra was curling @ the ends. Brought it to my local detailer to take it off & wax my car. When he pulled it off it took some paint with it!!!

I still have my Jetta TDI in the driveway because I thought VW might buy back ours. They are & I'm getting $14,500 for her. This is from the VW diesel scandal.
If he just yanked on it then yeah, there's a chance that it'll rip the paint off too. The clear bra has to be heated with a heat gun and slowly peeled off. Sort of like how if you lightly heat a shipping label, it'll peel off the box cleanly, but if you just walk up and rip it off, it sometimes takes a layer of cardboard with it.

I had a 3M Scotchguard (the middle grade, between Ventureshield and Scotchguard Pro) bra on my Mazda3. The film was warrantied for 5 years, it started to be noticeably yellow after 7 years, and I removed it after it was on for about 8 1/2 years. Even after being parked outside for most of its life, it peeled off without tearing itself or the paint. Only things I had to clean up were a few small patches of adhesive still stuck on the paint.

Best part? I had a shallow ding in the passenger side fender, and pulling the clear bra off popped the dent out.
Snowball, rodnerbear and Choccy74 like this.

Keep it rubber-side-down!
'16 HR-V LX 6MT
post #8 of 11 Old 11-06-2016, 08:33 PM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Garage
Exactly. A 500 degree heat gun is necessary for removing anything with adhesive from a car. I've never damaged the paint on anything I've removed emblems or decals from. A little heat is all you need.
Snowball likes this.

What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you!
post #9 of 11 Old 11-07-2016, 09:23 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks guys for your insight. It's done now. Waiting to bring back my VW TDI for the check.

One thing I would like to note, is I don't think the paint on our Honda HR-V's is anywhere near as good as my VW. I just doesn't seem as tough IMHO. Too be honest, I don't think I'm keeping the HR-V that long. This time next year it will be paid off & I'm going to move to maybe a VW Tiguan or something bigger with more comfortable seats. The HR-V is a good little rig, but I wouldn't buy one again myself.

post #10 of 11 Old 11-07-2016, 01:15 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
I don't think the paint on our Honda HR-V's is anywhere near as good as my VW.
I agree. Hondas has a reputation for having soft clearcoat that scratches/swirls easily, and on an econobox that doesn't even have clearcoated door jams, I'm thinking the paint job might not be as durable or well-bonded to the base metal. I plan on removing this clear bra after 3-5 years because of that.

Keep it rubber-side-down!
'16 HR-V LX 6MT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda HR-V Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page