Tire Rotation - Honda HR-V Forum
User Tag List

 9Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 12-26-2016, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
pnw
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Tire Rotation

My HRV is coming up for first oil change and I have almost 5500 miles on it.
I was gonna take in for oil change and also get Tire Rotated. I m not sure how often tires are to rotated for HRV ?

What I would like to know is, is it better to get tires rotated at dealership or can I use another tire shop e.g Discount Tires ?
I plan on using dealership for oil and all servicing but for tires I wanted to go with someone different and stick with them.

Also do tire shops keep a record of what was rotated so when you go for next one, they will know which ones go where?
Or do I need to keep record of it and let them know what order to rotate for future ones?


Any other tips on tire rotation e.g method and frequency would be appreciated.


Cheers

Last edited by pnw; 12-26-2016 at 10:34 PM.
pnw is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 Old 12-26-2016, 11:30 PM
Senior Member
 
Gizmogal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Brooklyn, Noo Yawk
Posts: 124
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Although the interval for rotation is similar (5,000-7000 miles), the pattern of correct rotation is different for AWD than for FWD cars. You do not mention if your HRV is front wheel (two wheel) drive or all wheel. The tire service location will need to know so they perform the rotation correctly, so you just inform them if you decide not to get your rotation done by the dealership. I really don't see why you are determined to give oil changes and other service to the dealer and commit to tire service elsewhere, but it's not a bad decision to handle tire care separately.

You'll get a service record when you pay and the mileage should be noted on it, so keep your own records. What if you decide to go elsewhere or the business moves away? Keeping your own rotation records means you always know when to do it next. The rotation pattern is always the same for AWD or FWD, so you don't have to know or note which tires went where. Just when to do it again. (Do not let wheel alignments go for too long)

Here's a few things to help you know more about tire rotation.

http://www.tirereview.com/even-awd-v...ire-rotations/ (simple story)

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=43 (much more detail, includes a handy PDF for you to download and print your record your rotation data!))

http://www.tirebuyer.com/education/t...ation-patterns (more to learn!)

I don't know if there's anything special about the HR-V, so I've supplied guidelines that I hope are helpful. You should definitely check the owners manual for specifics. And remember, you do not have a full sized spare so that will never be part of the rotation!

You're off to a good start thinking of such comprehensive service for your new HR-V. Stay committed and you will get many years of reliable safe driving.
Phalkon30 likes this.

~~~~ _/) ~~~~

Pearl White 2017 EX AWD 4/8/17
Gizmogal is online now  
post #3 of 11 Old 12-27-2016, 12:31 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Badger State
Posts: 878
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
According to Honda's owner's manual, there is no different tire Rotating pattern between FWD and AWD. Unless your are using directional tires.



2016 EX AWD
Einz is offline  
 
post #4 of 11 Old 12-27-2016, 01:02 AM
Senior Member
 
Gizmogal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Brooklyn, Noo Yawk
Posts: 124
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Best to know what is specified in the Honda manual. I only offered general discussion. Hopefully, I did not err too badly by suggesting the differing rotation patterns.

So far, I'm still driving a 20 year old Toyota RAV4. My tires have always been rotated just back to front. That's what my manual said. I have full time four wheel drive. The mechanic at a nearby gas station does all the maintenance and repairs for me, except alignment. The car is in top shape, but I keep all the service records myself and stay with a factory recommended schedule. It has never been serviced by Toyota. It's also laughably simpler than than the cars built today.

The HR-V is my next car; hoping to buy very soon. I will scrutinize the owners manual. Glad to know it covers such detail. New cars need a lot of learning, I'm sure.

~~~~ _/) ~~~~

Pearl White 2017 EX AWD 4/8/17
Gizmogal is online now  
post #5 of 11 Old 12-27-2016, 07:31 AM
Senior Member
 
cotonHRV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 929
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
This is a good segue for some general tire rotation points:

- Many HRV owners switched to snow tires for the winter season. It is a good idea to mark the tires being replaced with the current installed position, (Front Right, Front Left, Rear Right, Rear Left). This is then used to properly rotate the tires when the they are reinstalled on the car at the end of the season.

- Many HRV owners are choosing the Michelin X-Ice 3 Snow Tires. These tires are Directional, and can only be installed in a specific position (Left or Right). This is indicated by the rotation symbol on the tire sidewall. It is a also a good idea to check that these tires are currently correctly installed, just in case the installer did not install them correctly. I did that mistake when I installed my own X-Ice 3 tires, but luckily immediately noticed my own mistake.
cotonHRV is offline  
post #6 of 11 Old 12-27-2016, 11:30 AM
Senior Member
 
sweptwing80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: MI
Posts: 134
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Garage
Hey Coton, the weather forecast says you may get to try out those X-ice tires this weekend!! Hope you have some fun.☃
sweptwing80 is online now  
post #7 of 11 Old 12-27-2016, 11:45 AM
Senior Member
 
cotonHRV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 929
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweptwing80 View Post
Hey Coton, the weather forecast says you may get to try out those X-ice tires this weekend!! Hope you have some fun.☃
Yes, I know. Looking forward... I think.
Also, finally having my 2nd Civic installed with the X-Ice 3 in preparation. Snow tires being mounted on new rims and installed as we speak...
sweptwing80 likes this.
cotonHRV is offline  
post #8 of 11 Old 12-27-2016, 08:11 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 1,192
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonHRV View Post
This is a good segue for some general tire rotation points:
For winter tire rotations, I found it easiest to paint the letter "O" on the inside of the rim of one left and one right tire.
If it's an odd year (2015, 2017, 2019 ...) the Odd rims go in front, even years they go back.
Makes keeping track pretty easy.
sweptwing80, Phalkon30 and rgs like this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ddemetra is online now  
post #9 of 11 Old 12-28-2016, 09:52 AM
Senior Member
 
Phalkon30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 519
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddemetra View Post
For winter tire rotations, I found it easiest to paint the letter "O" on the inside of the rim of one left and one right tire.
If it's an odd year (2015, 2017, 2019 ...) the Odd rims go in front, even years they go back.
Makes keeping track pretty easy.
Great tip! I was going to make a fancy diagram and engrave small marks on my rims...this seems simpler and probably nearly as accurate
ddemetra likes this.

2016 HR-V EX 6MT - Purchased 4/14/16.

Behold: The Ninja Turtle
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Phalkon30 is offline  
post #10 of 11 Old 01-16-2017, 02:18 AM Thread Starter
pnw
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmogal View Post
Although the interval for rotation is similar (5,000-7000 miles), the pattern of correct rotation is different for AWD than for FWD cars. You do not mention if your HRV is front wheel (two wheel) drive or all wheel. The tire service location will need to know so they perform the rotation correctly, so you just inform them if you decide not to get your rotation done by the dealership. I really don't see why you are determined to give oil changes and other service to the dealer and commit to tire service elsewhere, but it's not a bad decision to handle tire care separately.

You'll get a service record when you pay and the mileage should be noted on it, so keep your own records. What if you decide to go elsewhere or the business moves away? Keeping your own rotation records means you always know when to do it next. The rotation pattern is always the same for AWD or FWD, so you don't have to know or note which tires went where. Just when to do it again. (Do not let wheel alignments go for too long)

Here's a few things to help you know more about tire rotation.

http://www.tirereview.com/even-awd-v...ire-rotations/ (simple story)

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=43 (much more detail, includes a handy PDF for you to download and print your record your rotation data!))

http://www.tirebuyer.com/education/t...ation-patterns (more to learn!)

I don't know if there's anything special about the HR-V, so I've supplied guidelines that I hope are helpful. You should definitely check the owners manual for specifics. And remember, you do not have a full sized spare so that will never be part of the rotation!

You're off to a good start thinking of such comprehensive service for your new HR-V. Stay committed and you will get many years of reliable safe driving.
Thanks Guys for the helpful Info! I will keep these in mind when going in for tire rotation. I have a 2WD EX
pnw is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Honda HR-V Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
tire question ThisHRV Tires, Wheels, and Suspension 4 11-15-2016 09:14 PM
Ran over a blown tire ang Off-Topic Discussion 2 11-08-2016 10:44 AM
Michelin Tire Blowout Hayscarver HRV Defects / Issues / Problems 5 09-08-2016 03:17 PM
Spare tire Trickycoolj Honda HR-V General Discussion 3 05-02-2015 02:27 AM
What is the tire size? Leon Honda HR-V General Discussion 9 02-28-2015 08:32 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome