User Tag List

7Likes

post #11 of 95 Old 05-26-2015, 09:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aznsap View Post
now where do people recommend getting filters from?

also how does the oil change notification work? is it going by mileage? how many of you are going to go by mileage to do your oil changes, and who's going to go by the 100% down to whatever noted by the dash?
I'm a stickler when it comes to maintenance. My '13 Civic I had the oil changed every 5000 miles, even though the oil life percentage was usually 50-60%. I also had the tires rotated at the same time. Local Honda dealer has $12.95 oil changes for customers that purchased their vehicle from them.

Regarding oil filters: obviously Honda is good. However I've had good luck with Fram's upgraded (Tough Guard) filters with my wife's CX-9. I will not use standard Fram filters due to a lack of oil backflow valve, which could cause a momentarily lack of oil pressure upon start. 70,000 trouble free miles so far, oil changes every 5000, with synthetic oil.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 95 Old 05-26-2015, 09:47 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aznsap View Post

also how does the oil change notification work? is it going by mileage? how many of you are going to go by mileage to do your oil changes, and who's going to go by the 100% down to whatever noted by the dash?
From the owner's manual: "Based on the engine operating conditions, the
remaining engine oil life is calculated and displayed
as a percentage."

It's an algorithm that calculates the life of engine oil based on many factors such as mileage driven, temperature, and driving habits.

Driving normally on warm FL weather, I've reached 20% oil life on a 2014 Honda Civic after 5,000 miles. So as a general rule, I change my oil with any synthetic every 5,000 miles.
post #13 of 95 Old 05-26-2015, 09:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Einz View Post
One more thing, the EX comes with a cargo cover?

Thanks
The cargo cover is an added accessory on all trim levels. It's an extra $99

post #14 of 95 Old 05-27-2015, 12:51 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post

I have that feature in my civic. At 15% you get a warning that you need to change it soon and at 10% it tells you the time is up. From my understanding it's based on RPMs - so stop and go driving eats up more on the %'s than highway driving. It also only goes down in increments of 5%. For me, it was around 6,200-6,500 miles - which seems more and more common in newer cars.

The honda dealer I bought it at would put stickers up saying to come back at 15%. The local honda dealer I'm near now put a sticker up saying I needed to come back at 3,000 miles. Makes it hard to trust them.

Last edited by DexterHugo; 05-27-2015 at 12:51 AM.
post #15 of 95 Old 05-27-2015, 02:25 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
I'm a stickler when it comes to maintenance. My '13 Civic I had the oil changed every 5000 miles, even though the oil life percentage was usually 50-60%. I also had the tires rotated at the same time. Local Honda dealer has $12.95 oil changes for customers that purchased their vehicle from them.

Regarding oil filters: obviously Honda is good. However I've had good luck with Fram's upgraded (Tough Guard) filters with my wife's CX-9. I will not use standard Fram filters due to a lack of oil backflow valve, which could cause a momentarily lack of oil pressure upon start. 70,000 trouble free miles so far, oil changes every 5000, with synthetic oil.
I actually followed the maintenance minder.

By the time the oil life at 10-5%, I have little over 10K on the oil. 90% of my trips are hwy. And I changed the oil filter every other oil change. My 09 Fit has over 100K right now and counting. Before my Fit, I had a 04 civic. It didn't have a MM. I changed the oil on the Civic every 10K and got over 90K before trading it for my current Fit. Both used synthetic oil. Wally world is the best place to get cheap Mobil one.

Honda actually has two suppliers for their oil filters: Fram and Filtech. The Fram has a cardboard end cap and Filtec does not. If one has a choice get the better constructed Filtech version. The last 3 digits of the oil filter part #: A02 is Fram and A01 is Filtech.

The true is, if the Fram is that bad. A lot of people would have complained by now. But, I have never used the Fram version. Here is one of the debates: http://honda-tech.com/general-discus...ebate-2899575/
post #16 of 95 Old 05-27-2015, 02:33 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabygal View Post
I'm looking at the FWD vs the AWD. What is the purpose of the undercover? Protection? Is it more expensive for oil changes, etc. because the mechanic has to remove and then replace the undercover to work on the vehicle? Would you prefer a vehicle with or without an undercover?
It would be a pain if you do your own oil change. But if I can get an extra 3MPG with the under cover for better air flow on the AWD. It might worth the trouble.

Last edited by Einz; 05-27-2015 at 02:36 AM.
post #17 of 95 Old 05-27-2015, 11:07 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Anyone know what type of oil the car takes? I have a bunch of 0-w20 from my CRV that I hope I can still use!

Edit: Now see the manual posted!

Last edited by mzoltek; 05-27-2015 at 12:52 PM.
post #18 of 95 Old 05-29-2015, 06:47 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
It's also written by where you add the oil.
post #19 of 95 Old 07-26-2015, 11:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
what size box wrench or socket wrench should i use for the drain plug if I do my own oil change. 17mm?
post #20 of 95 Old 07-26-2015, 11:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
17 mm the correct wrench size on my HRV for an oil change?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda HR-V Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page