Honda HR-V Forum banner

Sudden acceleration

18K views 26 replies 18 participants last post by  Dr. Toboggan 
#1 ·
When I was pulling into a parking spot, moving slowly, the car suddenly surged forward, jumped the curb and flattened a parking sign. One moment the car was in the parking space and the next it was up on the grass.

There's no way that a driver pulling into a parking spot would ever use the amount of force it would have taken to jam the gas pedal down enough to cause the car to do that, if it would even be possible.

I've seen a lot of information on the Internet about Honda and sudden acceleration. The dealer said there is nothing from Honda stating a known problem in the 2017 HR-V.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I haven't read anything about runaway incidents on the HRV. (Your sideways photo was hard to evaluate. Just how fast was the "surge" of speed? Was ordinary braking able to thwart it or did it just slow down as suddenly as it accelerate?)

#7 ·
Looking at the picture the curb looks 4" high, and quite rounded on top
I'm not surprised the 17" HR-V wheels jumped it
I know a couple times my foot hits both the accelerator and brake if I'm not careful
But this is this first I've heard of sudden acceleration in the HR-V, keep us posted what the dealer says

#9 ·
I haven't seen this problem with my Honda, but I did experience this issue years ago with a late 1970s Datsun 810. In very cold weather the gas pedal would stick, so you had to push hard to get gas, and when you did it went to the floor and stuck on the floor. I had a manual transmission, so the only option was to get into neutral and let the engine spin wildly. Very, very scary. You actually had to pry the gas pedal back up. I complained to the dealer and they did nothing. I sold the car.

#12 ·
I've had my HRV since mid 2015, it's the first HRV on the assembly line and it's a 2016 model. I love my car but last night the gas pedal floor boarded itself and I had to brake hard to stop the car from running away with me. Everytime I took my foot of the brake it accelerated hard so it was brake, zoom, brake, zoom until I could pull off the road. When I put it in park the motor was racing! I had to physically reach down a pull the pedal up at the back end, closest to me. There was no accidentally hitting the gas, this car ran away from me. I'm calling Honda in the morning. This is the very first time I've had this happen in 3.5 years but now I'm very nervous about driving it. I believe one of the Japanese cars had this problem a number of years ago and a lot of people died before the manufacturer owned up to the problem. So please don't be a naysayer unless you've experienced it.

#14 ·
Can you show us your floor mats? Any time I've had friends with a similar issue they had aftermarket mats that got in the way somehow.

Honda should take your experience very seriously. For sure have someone look at it, but be prepared that they may not find anything

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

#16 · (Edited)
Can you show us your floor mats? Any time I've had friends with a similar issue they had aftermarket mats that got in the way somehow.

Honda should take your experience very seriously. For sure have someone look at it, but be prepared that they may not find anything

This has happened once in the HRV and twice on my wife's CRV after taking the cars to a local car wash. The guys left the weather tech floor mats on top of the gas pedal. My wife called me really scared the first time and she found the culprit when I told her to look for anything that might be pressing the gas pedal. She knew what it was the 2nd time and didn't have to call me. When it happened to me, all the other patrons were staring at me wondering why I was reving my engine to redline. I just shook my head slightly embarrassed, fixed the floor mat, and drove off.

#17 ·
One of the most intelligent people I've ever been friends with had this happen with his floor mat. It can happen to anyone, not like you look at your pedals before getting in usually.

#18 ·
I had this happen while driving a 1995 Subaru when my floor mat slid onto the gas pedal and the car accelerated on its own. It really frightened me! I don't know why it never happened in any of the previous cars I have driven (and I have owned cars since 1970) Now I am very conscious of the position of the floor mat when driving.

#21 ·
My mats are not aftermarket, they came with the car and they are the rubber type that are made for that model. I tried tapping the pedal while I was trying to get it off the road to see if I could release it, to no avail. Once I killed the engine and reached down to pull the pedal up it was totally stuck to the floorboard. The mat had nothing to do with it.

#22 ·
If it’s not the mat, go to the dealership and talk to the service manager and tell him you have a report of
“unintended acceleration” you want to be transmitted to American Honda. American Honda has a team of engineers/techs standing by, that immediately go out if anything rears its head that might be a lawsuit/unsafe,I.e. airbags not working at the right time, vehicle fires, and unintended acceleration. They should contact you and/or the dealership.You also can call American Honda yourself and report it to get the ball rolling. They don’t take these things lightly, you should see some action if you do this. I worked for American Honda for five years, I had the team called in to my region twice. Once for an airbag went off accidentally, and the other for a vehicle fire.

#23 ·
Sheri S, the same thing happened to me as I had my car in reverse parking. The car was doing fine heard a loud bang,car went reverse hit the parked car behind me. Had my foot all the way to the floor on the brake and gripped the wheel as tight as I could, to avoid hitting other cars and pedestrians. Proceeded through a very unsafe intersection, as fast as the car took off then it just stopped. When adjuster went to see the car they could not find it. Now like you,the dealer said there is nothing wrong with the car. They had the car 2 weeks before they turned it over to the auto body people. Now my insurance went up from 136. per. month to 250. a month, , this is my first accident. I have been a number 9 on my insurance since I was 16 years of age.
This is unbelievable, why don't the Honda dealer fess-up to this.

#24 ·
I am lookong to buy a 2017 model and came across an article that says this issue is documented. Honda knows it is something that happens to the car.
Honda HR-V Problems; What Model Throughout The Years Is The Worst?

#26 ·
2016 H-RV, I experienced the same thing. Just that 1 time. It was out of no where, I was coming to a stop with my foot on the brake, and it tried to get away from me.Pressing harder on the brakes did stop it, and it hasn't done it since. It was a close call, as I was in line looking at Christmas lights.