User Tag List

20Likes

post #1 of 130 Old 06-25-2015, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Changed to whiter headlight bulbs today - Several photos!

Ok, so it was actually a few days ago but still. I changed my headlights out for whiter bulbs made by GP Thunder to see if I could tell a big difference or not and in the end I'm very happy and it is a much bigger difference than I'd even hoped for. The kicker in all of this? I paid under $20 shipped! I also got foglight bulbs to match but could not get them changed in the dark and it has rained and been a mess for days so hopefully I can get them done this weekend.

I took some photos but it is really hard to take photos of lights and get the color accurate I found. I ended up getting the rear of the car in the shots where I have changed out my license plate bulbs for LEDs and they are as white as white can be. Then the camera seems to balance the white colors better and the shots came out better. Also as a note the wall these are shining on is painted beige, so after photos are whiter light, but one a beige background. Still looks pretty good to me anyway. I took two before and two after, here they are:

Before:

And here are the headlights with my 400 lumen Cree LED flashlight to show white light, by the yellower headlights/foglights:

After, with the headlights changed, but the foglights are still the original:

These are extremely white in color in person, the whitest halogen lights I have personally used. For under $25 for headlights and foglights (once I get them installed) I am super happy! Why they do not use these color bulbs from the factory I'll never know.

I ordered from GP Thunder directly as they had the best prices, but they were available on Amazon too. So far so good, and I found this brand on BMW forums talking about getting whiter bulbs for the angel eyes on some models. I went with the 7500k version as the others will start to go bluish they say. Hope the photos help some people out.

http://www.gp-thunder.net/index.php/...ent-bulbs.html
lastrecidivist, KimK and Bajando41 like this.

Last edited by Razer; 06-25-2015 at 08:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 130 Old 06-25-2015, 08:15 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Thank you! I need to get better bulbs for sure. Picking up the cargo cover and tray tomorrow or Monday
post #3 of 130 Old 06-26-2015, 01:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I was thinking of doing the exact same thing if I go through with a purchase of the HRV. LED drop-ins may become an option in the future if/when they improve in terms of heat dissipation, output lumens, and reliability.

What sizes are the bulbs you replaced? Just a guess, but I'm assuming H4 for the low beams, H8 for the fogs? What are the DRLs?
post #4 of 130 Old 06-26-2015, 03:03 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
H4 has two filaments, it is both high and low beam. DRL uses the H4 bulb's high beam, but at a lower wattage.

2016 EX AWD
post #5 of 130 Old 06-26-2015, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Did you get a noticeably longer throw as well, or just as brighter light?
post #6 of 130 Old 06-26-2015, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
My throw stayed roughly the same I'd say, the bulbs are the same wattage so no big changes but I think the white light helps me see better so it almost looks like more to my eye but I think it is really the same.

I will say that I adjusted my headlights up some and it helped a TON. On the CRV I had and now this HRV the lights seemed aimed too low so when driving I felt I was not seeing out enough. Nice cutoff line but just too soon for me on low beam and I griped about it on the CRV but never tried to adjust. On the HRV I was willing to try and I read the manual and found zero information, it says to take it to the dealer. I found that there is a screw on the back of the headlight housing and by "unscrewing" it the headlights would raise. I still have some tweaking to do as my right is ever so slightly higher than my left now but still what a nice difference.

I kept turning the screw and seeing no real change but I had my test wall too close, once I backed up after only adjusting the right one it was significantly raised. I just eyeballed it and later my wife was following me and it was not too high still be vastly improved for driving on really dark roads! The screw has a smaller head for the wrench, but the is maybe 3/4th an inch wide below it almost looking like an integrated washer and it has teeth on the backside. I can take photos if anyone is needing to find it.
post #7 of 130 Old 06-28-2015, 12:37 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
hey guys, can someone tell me what the size for low beam halogens or LEDs are?

i'm assuming halogens have a higher light output?

visibility isnt great with stock bulbs. I'm looking to upgrade these asap

Last edited by wilf21; 06-28-2015 at 12:43 AM.
post #8 of 130 Old 06-28-2015, 04:16 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
9003 or H4. The bulbs are both high and low beam.
wilf21 likes this.

2016 EX AWD
post #9 of 130 Old 06-28-2015, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Einz View Post
9003 or H4. The bulbs are both high and low beam.
thanks a lot!
post #10 of 130 Old 06-28-2015, 11:30 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Best halogens you can get available in the market is the Sylvana Silverstar Ultra, or the cheaper GE Nighthawk Platinum.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda HR-V Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page