15Likes

post #1 of 86 Old 09-12-2015, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
Sol

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Remote Start

I am looking into a remote start for my HRV (LX). The dealer wants over $500 to do the installation which is way over my budget. I can get an aftermarket unit installed for less than $300. Or I could buy one for about $100-$150 and install it myself. I have done this years ago and it was no simple task. The new units integrate with the CAN bus and need to be programmed. Anyone have experience with a remote start in the HRV?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 86 Old 09-12-2015, 10:51 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol View Post
I am looking into a remote start for my HRV (LX). The dealer wants over $500 to do the installation which is way over my budget. I can get an aftermarket unit installed for less than $300. Or I could buy one for about $100-$150 and install it myself. I have done this years ago and it was no simple task. The new units integrate with the CAN bus and need to be programmed. Anyone have experience with a remote start in the HRV?
The instructions for the OEM Starter might be of help.

For LX
http://www.bernardiparts.com/Images/...II01797-28.pdf

For EX & EXL
http://www.bernardiparts.com/Images/...II01797-27.pdf
post #3 of 86 Old 09-12-2015, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
Sol

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonHRV View Post
The instructions for the OEM Starter might be of help.

For LX
http://www.bernardiparts.com/Images/...II01797-28.pdf

For EX & EXL
http://www.bernardiparts.com/Images/...II01797-27.pdf
Thanks! I like the OEM unit since everything plugs in and no wire cutting is required. Unfortunately, it does have to be programmed by Honda for the immobilizer.
mainemanx likes this.
post #4 of 86 Old 09-12-2015, 03:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks! I like the OEM unit since everything plugs in and no wire cutting is required. Unfortunately, it does have to be programmed by Honda for the immobilizer.
Wow! Those instructions look awfully complex to me.

Aftermarket installations, while possibly not as elegant, should be more straightforward.
post #5 of 86 Old 09-13-2015, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
I am in Canada and our dealer wanted $900 CAD to install the remote starter. I bought the remote starter from Bernardi parts online and ship it to my friend in USA and installed remote starter myself. If you take your time and follow the instruction, it can be done very easily. It took me about about 4 hours to install it because I took my time to install it (I didn't want to break anything)... Most difficult part was to remove instrument cluster (not enough space to remove easily) and remove sub-fuse box to install the starter module (didn't have the right size deep socket LOL).

My local dealer only charged me $61 CAD to program 2 remote fobs. I called and confirm the programming pricing (same price for 1 or 2 remote fobs) before I ordered the starter.
Good luck.
mainemanx, Frankie and cotonHRV like this.
post #6 of 86 Old 09-13-2015, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bose View Post
I am in Canada and our dealer wanted $900 CAD to install the remote starter. I bought the remote starter from Bernardi parts online and ship it to my friend in USA and installed remote starter myself. If you take your time and follow the instruction, it can be done very easily. It took me about about 4 hours to install it because I took my time to install it (I didn't want to break anything)... Most difficult part was to remove instrument cluster (not enough space to remove easily) and remove sub-fuse box to install the starter module (didn't have the right size deep socket LOL).

My local dealer only charged me $61 CAD to program 2 remote fobs. I called and confirm the programming pricing (same price for 1 or 2 remote fobs) before I ordered the starter.
Good luck.
Wow gutsy install. I almost fell off my chair when I first saw the 35 page installation instruction.
Now that you said that it is not that bad, I might seriously think of buying and installing one.
mainemanx likes this.
post #7 of 86 Old 09-13-2015, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Wow gutsy install. I almost fell off my chair when I first saw the 35 page installation instruction.
Now that you said that it is not that bad, I might seriously think of buying and installing one.
Just take your time... Everything comes off easy. Make sure to use the trim removal tool.

Amazon Amazon

This will help you remove the sun visor. You don't really have to remove it to tuck the antenna cable in but I did it because I also had to install a Homelink mirror and a car DVR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpSMOy-TMvs
mainemanx likes this.
post #8 of 86 Old 09-13-2015, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Just take your time... Everything comes off easy. Make sure to use the trim removal tool.

http://www.amazon.com/No-Scratch-Too.../dp/B000LNBLTK

This will help you remove the sun visor....
Funny, I bought the same set when I was installing my LED interior lights, which, compared to the remote starter, was a walk in the park.
post #9 of 86 Old 09-13-2015, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Sol

(Thread Starter)
Quote:

Good luck.
Thanks for the encouragement! I just might take the plunge.
post #10 of 86 Old 09-14-2015, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for the encouragement! I just might take the plunge.
After installation, comeback and let us know how it went. I am sure you will be very happy with the OEM stater as I am.

Last edited by Bose; 09-14-2015 at 01:57 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda HR-V Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page