Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 126
Likes (Received): 205
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Mixed reactions to the reviews of manual transmission

Well, this morning going through all of the reviews I was actually surprised that some of the reviewers didn't like the manual transmission in the HR-V and actually recommended the CVT. On the other hand, other reviewers loved the manual transmission.

I've driven a Fit with the manual, and the criticism of having a super light clutch pedal that some reviewers have brought up is spot on. It's something I think you would just have to get used to, but it doesn't inspire confidence in the system.

Anyway, just wondering if others were surprised by the mix reaction to the manual transmission reviews. I'm withholding all judgments until I can test drive both transmissions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 04-30-2015, 02:22 PM
Kaos2800

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 65
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
What seems to be interesting is the fact you need to rev it higher like Honda's S2000 to get enough torque. Most of the reviews that I have read/watched where they don't like the manual, they complain about it not having enough power and felt that the CVT is the better option. Then a few lines/seconds later they complain about the engine being rev'd high in the CVT. If you are use to a high or at least higher torque vehicle "You're gonna have a bad time."

I visited Costa Rica with my in-laws where they got the smallest SUV available and constantly on the mountain roads my father-in-law complained about the lack of power. I kept saying, "It has a 6500 redline, stop shifting at 1800". His response was "It should have more torque"

Either is does, or it doesn't, the CVT or even an automatic for that matter will simply mask what's available power wise and simply do, what the manual driver should be doing.
post #3 of 33 Old 04-30-2015, 02:25 PM
scooterct

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 206
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
>> just wondering if others were surprised by the mix reaction to the manual transmission reviews

If you've been on this forum more than a day, by now you know there are as many reactions to any HRV feature as there are people doing the reacting...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 Old 04-30-2015, 02:29 PM
HRV4ME

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 1263
Likes (Received): 322
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 808 Post(s)
Think this is typical in most Hondas for this type of category, (Pilot, CRV, etc.) They offer a manual transmission, but the amount of sales is so small in relation to the overall sales of the vehicle.

Probably best to drive it and if it works for you, buy it. If not, move onto the next configuration and/or vehicle. While everyone has an opinion, sometime people try to make others feel like theirs is the right one, when all that matters is your own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dermochelys View Post
Well, this morning going through all of the reviews I was actually surprised that some of the reviewers didn't like the manual transmission in the HR-V and actually recommended the CVT. On the other hand, other reviewers loved the manual transmission.

I've driven a Fit with the manual, and the criticism of having a super light clutch pedal that some reviewers have brought up is spot on. It's something I think you would just have to get used to, but it doesn't inspire confidence in the system.

Anyway, just wondering if others were surprised by the mix reaction to the manual transmission reviews. I'm withholding all judgments until I can test drive both transmissions.

Post Thanks / Like - 1 Likes
Likes Alladat1 liked this post
post #5 of 33 Old 04-30-2015, 05:01 PM
HRV4ME

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 1263
Likes (Received): 322
Quoted: 808 Post(s)
Buying a manual transmission in a vehicle like this or a CRV is like buying an automatic Corvette.

A manual transmission in certain SUV vehicles isn't even offered as it is just so out of place. Here I think it is offered on the HRV simply to make the price sounds lower but that is it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dermochelys View Post

post #6 of 33 Old 05-09-2015, 01:40 AM
Joemtns

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 17
Likes (Received): 19
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I too drive a 6 speed fit. It works fine for my needs. It does seem to be a bit peppier at higher rpms. On a recent return to California from a Utah camping trip I averaged 39 mpg. I am used to the 6 speed and will probably opt for it in the HRV. I hope it behaves the same as in my fit. Its less expensive too. I am open to suggestions advice on cvt vs manual. thx

So if I trade my fit in on an hrv I get a bigger engine, cabin, sunroof and better mpg. Sounds like an upgrade to me.
post #7 of 33 Old 05-09-2015, 03:14 AM
fozziebear

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 7
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
In Europe i think about at least 80% of the vehicles are sold with a manual gearbox, honda charges about 2k extra for an automatic gearbox.
I guess it's due to different roadsituation and style of driving (less relax then you americans) that we are so used to manual gearboxes since cars exist.
Honda makes very good manual transmissions, i've owned 7 Honda's so far and all were a joy to shift.
Likes idearat liked this post
post #8 of 33 Old 05-09-2015, 08:51 AM
Kaos2800

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 65
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
The loss of manuals in North America is a shame.

Loss of manuals driven by emissions.
Likes idearat liked this post
post #9 of 33 Old 05-09-2015, 12:39 PM
Autonation Sean

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 5
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
They fit the HR-V with an Accord Manual transmission, paired with a Civic engine. The CVT will rev high if you want it to, just have to switch it to Sport mode.

AutoNation Honda Chandler
1150 South Gilbert Road, Chandler, AZ 85286
Business Phone: (480) 505-5186
site: http://www.autonationhondachandler.com/index.htm
post #10 of 33 Old 05-09-2015, 03:30 PM
idearat

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 923
Likes (Received): 346
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaos2800 View Post
The loss of manuals in North America is a shame.

Loss of manuals driven by emissions.
I don't know why I didn't come across this thread before, Thanks for the article Kaos, I find that very informative. I should have known, being in IT, but I wasn't thinking of it as a software problem.

I'm guessing they could develop AI 'learning' software that could tweak the calibration based on driving style to make a manual perform more cleanly, but that sounds like a huge effort for a small and shrinking market, and you'd need to take into account multiple drivers, trip types etc.

I hate to let go of direct man-machine control, but that ship has sailed... the question now is, does the HRV manual simulate that well enough to make it a pleasant and engaging experience. I wonder how it'll be received in Europe, with its much higher proportion of manual-savvy drivers.